What are you backing Today? Part 2

CAPLA KNIGHT 235B 25/1 no need to look at its form.its sh*te but he did run better last time staying on over 6 and this trip is more suitable.
Hasnt had many turf goes and is 8lb lower than the a/w.
Won at dundalk off 60 and 2nd off 65.has now dropped to 57 but tomorrow is off 49.
Also entered fri at dundalk.

Carnival Zain 2.00A
Reckon he ticks all the boxes, and looks a sound bet at the odds.
6/1 B365

edit to add: 6's vanished in a puff of smoke as I typed. now 9/2 best.

Last edited:
Carnival Zain 2.00A
Reckon he ticks all the boxes, and looks a sound bet at the odds.
6/1 B365

edit to add: 6's vanished in a puff of smoke as I typed. now 9/2 best.

He's attracting money but I have to say I think he was flattered in his last win - Ive done Pocket the Profit in the hope that the forecast rain arrives.

Not seeing that Euro; he ran a decent time, with good sectionals, and looked as if he'd improve again for this stiffer test (prev. C/D winner)?

I like her as well PB, been on the tracker since a good run from a poor position at Ascot and I have to say the Haggas fav looks a dubious stayer imo. Pleased with 6/1

Don't know where to put this,so I'll ask here.
Anyone else think there may be a problem in the Charlie Appleby stable?
Had 3 runners at Ascot today, all ran appallingly - @ 5/2f, 9/2 & 11/10f.

Last edited:
Don't know where to put this,so I'll ask here.
Anyone else think there may be a problem in the Charlie Appleby stable?
Had 3 runners at Ascot today, all ran appallingly - @ 5/2f, 9/2 & 11/10f.

I think you can excuse Secret State who was badly hampered a furlong or so out.
Silent Speech (lowest RPR) showed nothing when asked and wasn’t pressed. Similar with Yantarni. Certainly unusual to see Appleby horses so out of it, but I think this lot were probably well over-priced because of his success this season. See what happens to his more proven ones before drawing firm conclusions?

Another quiet day for me (as per, written Thursday/yesterday, so prices were as at the time of writing):

A 1.51 - At 10/1 Acklam Express is probably worth a pop in the first-time visor. He was rated 113 at the start of the season so if the headgear has a positive impact he could just be too good for this field. King’s Lynn is otherwise probably the best horse in the race but he has a hefty penalty to contend with. However, I’ve also taken a chance with Came From The Dark at 11/1. He looked like a G1 horse in the making last year and has had a wind op following two awful runs this season. The stable is in great form and I’m hopeful they’ve sorted out his breathing. I suppose he might need the run, though. I’ve backed both each-way (4pl) with the latter bet twice the size of the other.

A 2.25 - High Definition (4/1) looks like the one to beat but I like the profile of Cresta (9/2) who appeared to take a big step forward at Windsor last time and might just be on a steep curve with the ground not as firm as in midsummer leading up to that run and rain to come. For what it’s worth, I have Get Shirty very much in mind for the November Handicap.

A 3.00 - It’s no surprise to me that my two top ratings were gained in handicaps but they were two of the holy trinity of six-furlong handicaps in the season and Commanche Falls, not far behind, represents the other one. Those races are incredibly strong and keep being franked. I wouldn’t be surprised either if these three filled the places. At 7/2, 12/1 and 11/2 respectively, I’d have to nominate Summerghand as the value but I also plan to take out some sickness insurance on Run To Freedom (28/1) which I had at very long odds for a couple of G1s earlier this season and who wears first-time pieces. I suspect, though, that the price will go out to nearer 50s by the morning so I’d hold off until it happens.

A 3.36 - I’m going to put a lot of my eggs in the basket of the valuable CD race here a month ago won by Fresh (6/1 here) from Silent Film (14/1) and River Nymph (8/1). I think the handicapper has taken an extremely lenient view of the form in raising the winner just a pound. They combine at nearly 9/4, which I think might be fair. Fresh tends to be gambled too. Rain is forecast, which would help the chances of Oo De Lally (25/1) so he’s an outsider I’d want onside. The same goes for Accidental Agent (25/1) whose Victoria Cup form gives him the beating of both Fresh and River Nymph.

N 2.42 - Hard to see past the top two. They dutch at 1/2 and that might well appeal to big hitters but I don’t have to have a bet.

Just noticed the Cadran is today. For some reason I thought it was tomorrow.

Kyprios has lined the pockets of a number of forumites this season, thanks to Slim's uber-confidence in it earlier in the season, but I haven't backed it - you can thank me later - and won't be backing it here.

The Quickthorn I saw last time will, I reckon, toy with this field and 4/1 is huge. I was sorely tempted to put it on the odds-on thread but I've backed it like one.

Last edited:
A 3.00 - It’s no surprise to me that my two top ratings were gained in handicaps but they were two of the holy trinity of six-furlong handicaps in the season and Commanche Falls, not far behind, represents the other one. Those races are incredibly strong and keep being franked. I wouldn’t be surprised either if these three filled the places.

:whistle:

Another quiet day for me (as per, written Thursday/yesterday, so prices were as at the time of writing):

A 1.51 - At 10/1 Acklam Express is probably worth a pop in the first-time visor. He was rated 113 at the start of the season so if the headgear has a positive impact he could just be too good for this field. King’s Lynn is otherwise probably the best horse in the race but he has a hefty penalty to contend with. However, I’ve also taken a chance with Came From The Dark at 11/1. He looked like a G1 horse in the making last year and has had a wind op following two awful runs this season. The stable is in great form and I’m hopeful they’ve sorted out his breathing. I suppose he might need the run, though. I’ve backed both each-way (4pl) with the latter bet twice the size of the other.

A 2.25 - High Definition (4/1) looks like the one to beat but I like the profile of Cresta (9/2) who appeared to take a big step forward at Windsor last time and might just be on a steep curve with the ground not as firm as in midsummer leading up to that run and rain to come. For what it’s worth, I have Get Shirty very much in mind for the November Handicap.

A 3.00 - It’s no surprise to me that my two top ratings were gained in handicaps but they were two of the holy trinity of six-furlong handicaps in the season and Commanche Falls, not far behind, represents the other one. Those races are incredibly strong and keep being franked. I wouldn’t be surprised either if these three filled the places. At 7/2, 12/1 and 11/2 respectively, I’d have to nominate Summerghand as the value but I also plan to take out some sickness insurance on Run To Freedom (28/1) which I had at very long odds for a couple of G1s earlier this season and who wears first-time pieces. I suspect, though, that the price will go out to nearer 50s by the morning so I’d hold off until it happens.

A 3.36 - I’m going to put a lot of my eggs in the basket of the valuable CD race here a month ago won by Fresh (6/1 here) from Silent Film (14/1) and River Nymph (8/1). I think the handicapper has taken an extremely lenient view of the form in raising the winner just a pound. They combine at nearly 9/4, which I think might be fair. Fresh tends to be gambled too. Rain is forecast, which would help the chances of Oo De Lally (25/1) so he’s an outsider I’d want onside. The same goes for Accidental Agent (25/1) whose Victoria Cup form gives him the beating of both Fresh and River Nymph.

N 2.42 - Hard to see past the top two. They dutch at 1/2 and that might well appeal to big hitters but I don’t have to have a bet.

300 ascot 1st,2nd,3rd,4th nice one D.

Just noticed the Cadran is today. For some reason I thought it was tomorrow.

Kyprios has lined the pockets of a number of forumites this season, thanks to Slim's uber-confidence in it earlier in the season, but I haven't backed it - you can thank me later - and won't be backing it here.

The Quickthorn I saw last time will, I reckon, toy with this field and 4/1 is huge. I was sorely tempted to put it on the odds-on thread but I've backed it like one.

Down to earth with a bang.

Seriously impressive from Kyprios. The best staying performance I think I've ever seen.

Back