What are you backing Today? Part 2

Yeah, bit worrying. Then again I made Red Verdon the likeliest winner of the Marathon at Sandown last Friday and for some reason he was easily the outsider of the field.

Market only wants to know about the favourite Waliyak - now 7/4 from 9/4 - and Lights On - now 2/1 from 4/1.

Yeah, bit worrying. Then again I made Red Verdon the likeliest winner of the Marathon at Sandown last Friday and for some reason he was easily the outsider of the field.

Not sure he really gets that trip. He was given the best ride in the race

Fair point but I liked the way he finished his race at York and a small field and Moore replacing Dettori were nice pluses.

Lights On 3.00P progressive; out the back from bad draw at Royal Ascot and allowed to coast home in 8th place. A rare visit to a track where connections do quite well, and proven in similar circumstances already.
Solid bet @ 9/2 B365

Good shout.

Few bets lined up for Fri and Sat but can't see many angles today. I put Eldrickjones in the tracker after Ascot but Project Dante's form looks better so can let him go unbacked. I was eyeing up Highest Ground in the Princess of Wales back on decent ground but Al Aasy turning up means he can be swerved. The market for the 4.10 is interesting. You have a Haggas Shadwell colt favourite with just a novice win to his name over Maximal who ran a cracker in the SJP. I can't have that and have backed the Stoute horse at around 3.7 on the machine.

Well today he managed to blow it with a 10 second furlong! Drop back to five needed.

Mosala -6400 Leopardstown has been progressing nicely since last December -I could write an essay on his progress.8s available -GSI.

I really like the atmosphere at the Newmarket July Course which compares very favourably with the Rowley Mile main course in my mind. Many times I have taken members of my extended family or encouraged friends to sample the the more laid back nature of racing at the course albeit the quality of racing outside of the main July meeting is sometimes not what one would hope for. In addition its the only place where I I feel at ease wearing a Panama. This year I can't get tickets because of the requirements of the Jockey Club. Passport being renewed and a paper driving licence means they won't allow me in. Perverse really as I've been to a number of jump meetings in various parts of the country as a connection to an owner ever since that became possible.
Tomorrow I had hoped to go and watch Alcohol Free confirm the promise of her Ascot run at Ascot. I am a selective follower of Jeff Smith's horses as most will know so will be backing her tomorrow and No Nonsense. Smith seems to do well at Newmarket ( as shown by Frankella today) but it seems to me that most of his horses hit their peak around now.

Tomorrow I had hoped to go and watch Alcohol Free confirm the promise of her Ascot run at Ascot. I am a selective follower of Jeff Smith's horses as most will know so will be backing her tomorrow and No Nonsense. Smith seems to do well at Newmarket ( as shown by Frankella today) but it seems to me that most of his horses hit their peak around now.

That Ascot run confused me greatly. I had her down as a non-stayer and actually place laid her. I'm not convinced of the form as Snow Lantern seemed to take a massive step forward after getting beat badly in a listed race the time before. Lady Bowthorpe has the best piece of form on offer and at 8/1 I think she's worth siding with. Her run at Ascot seems uninspiring but she was on the wrong side of the track that day and was a tad isolated also.

I've also done Dubai Honour in the 10f handicap. He also was in the wrong side in the Britannia and did well (esp in his debut run of the season) to win the race on the far side.

Well done Luke, must be enough left over for a HDB statue out front at this rate!

Thanks RP -it was a fairly significant touch for me -Sometimes you have to believe what you see with your own eyes.Haven’t bumped into Henry since Cheltenham but when I do the two horses I want to talk about are Minella Indo and Mosala.

Also need to ask how I am going to pay for my daughters second year in University.

This reminds of your post last winter about Minella Indo.

I wish I'd remembered it more clearly or vividly on gold cup day.

I had Vanillier and Porlock Bay in the Foxhunters on the day but only in small singles and a tiny each way yankee, but if I'd just stuck those two and Minella Indo in a decent each way patent I would have won a small fortune.

To make matters worse, I would have had bigger stakes on all of the above two/three and the each way patent if only I hadn't cashed out my each way single bet on Milkwood the night before who finished placed at a big price in the county.

To add insult to injury I had a shortlist of two in the county, Milkwood and the eventual winner Belfast Banter!

How I didn't end the meeting and that last day with a five figure win I'll never know, a proper gamblers tale it was.

It felt like I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Its been mainly downhill since then aswell.

It was such a strange festival this year.

All these 1/3 shots in 90 percent of the championship races.

I think I lost my head and the plot by day four....

Last edited:
Tangled goes for the three timer in the 4.25 at York.

There's loads of runners, which ensures he's a fair price. The handicapper hasn't been too harsh.

Why not?

Last edited:
I've got to follow it today, Euro. He was well ahead of his mark before the last two wins and given he didn't win by far each time he still could be ahead of his mark.

I love trying to tip a horse on a hatrick after putting it up the last twice...

Small stable, underrated in the betting again, should be fav.

Last edited:
Back