What are you backing Today? Part 2

I'm putting this horse down so I don't forget, he runs on Tuesday at Musselburgh.

4.38 Euro Implosion by far my best bet on this card. I don't mind going back two seasons to see why a horse is very well handicapped, but three seasons is usually where I draw the line.

Euro Implosion won three races on the bounce in 2019, including here at Musselburgh over this distance. That win was on a mark of 62, (after the winning hat trick he went up to 80) .

He went backwards last season, but after having a 2021 seasonal opener, he arrives in this low level class six on a mark of 59, so everything looks perfect for him to get his head in front starting off here at Mussleburgh. I'm hoping for 5/1 or thereabouts when they price it tomorrow.

Euro Implosion out again in the 7.15 at Hamilton tomorrow. A good chance at 9/4 on the early show.

Last edited:
Illusionist 4.35Y was outpaced in the closing stages of a warm 6f h'cap at Hamilton lto, and should relish this step up to 7F
Dropped in class & the stable is in flying form.
11/2 B365

Last edited:
I haven't studied any racing today. That's not to say the fare on offer isn't any good. There are lots of 3yo handicaps that will be of interest for the future but I don't usually study them until Ascot's Britannia and KGV races.

However, I've had a bet. In the Listed race at York Red Verdon is the 4/1 outsider of the four but on his best form is the best horse in the race and has Dettori up. He hasn't done much this season but I half-expect the fast ground to bring about a return to form.

I agree with you re Red Verdon probably being the likeliest winner of that race but not on the 3yo handicap studying schedule. I'm balls deep in those from the get go. You get group horses winning these type races at the Craven and Guineas meetings and just track those beaten (as long as they run well). See Bullace and Creative Force as good examples of this.

Gifted Ruler 2.35Y was unlucky not to win a decent Newmarket 7f contest last backend, and will probably strip fit today, as connections are here, rather than Chester.
11/2 B365

Last edited:
Plenty of pace in the 3.20 at Chester, and Rob Havlin travels for the sole ride on Side Shot. Said to need left-handed and a galloping track, they clearly think the Roodeye suitable.
11/2 generally

Great shout. I only study handicaps between 6f and 10f so didn't look at this one. Could see the stars were aligned for it when ITV went to the race. Top weight/top trainer at Chester.

I haven't studied any racing today. That's not to say the fare on offer isn't any good. There are lots of 3yo handicaps that will be of interest for the future but I don't usually study them until Ascot's Britannia and KGV races.

However, I've had a bet. In the Listed race at York Red Verdon is the 4/1 outsider of the four but on his best form is the best horse in the race and has Dettori up. He hasn't done much this season but I half-expect the fast ground to bring about a return to form.

Wish I had paid more attention to this post earlier. He was 11/4 without the fav but by the time I tried to get on it at 2.30 they had taken the market down. 11/4 to beat 2 horses was very fair.

Last edited:
Wish I had paid more attention to this post earlier. He was 11/4 without the fav but by the time I tried to get on it at 2.30 they had taken the market down. 11/4 to beat 2 horses was very fair.

I didn't have time to check the other markets this morning as we had to be out earlyish for an all-day family event. I've only just got home and watched the replay. RV probably ran his race only to be beaten by an improver although I can't say I was too happy seeing him a bit detached in the early stages. That said, the pace looked honest and maybe Dettori had been told the horse needed to be switched off.

No real complaints, though. I only ever ask that my horse is trying and RV was.

Trying as confirmed by the stewards, desert.

The Stewards wished to hold an enquiry into the use of the whip by Frankie Dettori, the rider of RED VERDON (USA), placed second, but were unable to do so as Dettori had left the course. They adjourned their enquiry to a later date.

Trying as confirmed by the stewards, desert.

The Stewards wished to hold an enquiry into the use of the whip by Frankie Dettori, the rider of RED VERDON (USA), placed second, but were unable to do so as Dettori had left the course. They adjourned their enquiry to a later date.

Brilliant!

I've noticed that Dettori really doesn't give a **** anymore. You have to be very careful backing him in nothing races e/w because he'll give up if the race isn't going to plan.

Backing tonight for tomorrow - Surprised Munfalet is available at 12s for Leopardstown 6.30 tomorrow. Thought the chance was too obvious and will kick myself if the price goes. Eyecatching 4th last time out over 1m1f after denied a run when travelling best a furlong out, coasting home. Second hacked up yesterday. Third was well in under a penalty and is 13lbs higher now. Jockey is great value for 7lbs. All aboard.

Backing tonight for tomorrow - Surprised Munfalet is available at 12s for Leopardstown 6.30 tomorrow. Thought the chance was too obvious and will kick myself if the price goes. Eyecatching 4th last time out over 1m1f after denied a run when travelling best a furlong out, coasting home. Second hacked up yesterday. Third was well in under a penalty and is 13lbs higher now. Jockey is great value for 7lbs. All aboard.

Waited all day for this. Backed into 7s before drifting back out. Watched the shite from Ascot. Missed break by 5l and rushed up and ran free. Can't even claim bad luck. Bad race but winner will win again.

Rising Star 2.55P made all to win a Kempton novice last season, then thought good enough to send for a gp2 in Italy, but was seemingly btn by heavy ground. Entered for the Sandringham on Friday she was withdrawn fo the same reason (needs Summer ground, on action and breeding). Fortunately, she was also entered for another stiff 1m race, where the ground is much more in her favour. If she was considered fit enough to run at Ascot she shoul have no worries today, either.
7/1 generally.d

Last edited:
Love Is Golden 3.55S made all to win a decent Chester contest back in May, but was unable to repeat the feat, lto. Slowly away, he was always out the back on the faster groind, nad couldn't muster the speed for the sprint finish, and was eased at the death. He's definitely better than he looked there, and the stiffer track and softer ground should play more to his strengths today.
6/1 B365

Last edited:
Carlisle 3.30 Global Spirit.

A decent lower grade handicapper whose price has kept contracting everytime I view oddschecker.

I took 14s last night so have got the value...

Carlisle 3.30 Global Spirit.

A decent lower grade handicapper whose price has kept contracting everytime I view oddschecker.

I took 14s last night so have got the value...

Close but no cigar.

Just chinned.

Newmarket 4.10 On A Session.

A big eye-catcher the last day at Epsom. I'm hoping he can back that up today. Let's hope he doesn't turn into a hit and miss horse, I. E. performing one day then underperforming the next.

A win here would put in good order for a crack at the Bunbury Cup.

Last edited:
After gelding and a break Sunday Sovereign 6.45N/c looks to be coming back to form, and SDS travels for the sole ride.
11/2 generally.

Last edited:
After gelding and a break Sunday Sovereign 6.45N/c looks to be coming back to form, and SDS travels for the sole ride.
11/2 generally.

He was fav for the Dash before being taken out wasn't he... see how he fares tonight.

As I feared, On A Session never went through with his run today. He was staying on well the last day over the same distance.

He's becoming hard to predict.

Back