What are you backing Today? Part 2

Good fillies Group 3 at Newcastle this evening. I'd make the Haggas 3yo Sea Empress fav and she's 7/2. Very reasonable. She was very green in a good race at Newbury and the winner franked the form in the Ribblesdale. This is in contrast to Dubai Fountain who did not frank Zeyaadah's Cheshire Oaks win in the same race.

The Plate tomorrow.

Keith Dalgleish had a treble the other day and his Alright Sunshine is a live contender for the Northumberland Plate having won last time out when the first time visors were applied.

This horse was tried in valuable turf handicap races last season where he failed to fire, but his only start on the all weather yielded a decent fifth place in a Group Three at this track last year. He was staying on and it wasn't a bad first effort at Newcastle.

He's got a lovely racing weight of 8.13, and I'm just taking a chance he will indeed prove he can run well on this all weather surface.

Saturday

Ventura Rebel 2.20Nc won a 6f Curragh gp3 last term, and ran up to that form when 8th in the Diamond Jubilee recently. One run this c/d, but was slowly away when returning from a long break.
12/1 4 places generally.

Good fillies Group 3 at Newcastle this evening. I'd make the Haggas 3yo Sea Empress fav and she's 7/2. Very reasonable. She was very green in a good race at Newbury and the winner franked the form in the Ribblesdale. This is in contrast to Dubai Fountain who did not frank Zeyaadah's Cheshire Oaks win in the same race.

She was very dissapointing. Was expecting a big run ehrh the market smashed her.

Glorious Journey 3.15 Newm. Wasn't a race I was gonna get involved in until Kinross was pulled out. Glorious Journey and Royal Crusade are stablemates and both currently trade around the 4/1 mark. I don't get it, the former has much better form and is pretty consistant. The Hamdan Bunbury Cup winner is also in the field but his form is all in big field handicaps.

Century Dream. 3.35 Windsor. This is one of those races where there are negatives about almost all the runners. Top Rank is a bit of a hype horse and has a boffo penalty to carry. Brentford Hope if anything has even more hype surrounding him and his best run seems to be winning a Nottingham handicap off 98.
The Balding filly I can't dismiss just because of the trainer but she was behind a couple of these at Donny and her Lingfield fillies run is pretty worthless. The selection has fewer negatives and I think the jockey went to soon at Epsom

Hurricane Lane. 3.45 Curragh. Covered in ID thread.

Last edited:
I haven't backed multiples for a wee while, at least not serious ones, but I've done an ew yankee today:

Dubious Affair 6/1 (Plate) - my idea of the most likely winner. She is effectively a winner without a penalty having had an interrupted passage last week in the Copper Horse. She might bounce, since that was a career peak after a long break but she might just be a big improver.

Motakhayyel 5/1 (Nwm) - Took 17/2 ew last night but the two I feared most have dropped out.

Romantic Proposal 3/1 (Cur) - Took the standout 5/1 last night to decent money. Best in the race at the weights.

Belle Image 9/1 (Cur) - one of three joint tops but arguably has the steepest curve.

Euro Implosion out again in the 7.15 at Hamilton tomorrow. A good chance at 9/4 on the early show.

Euro Implosion goes again for the three timer tomorrow, (Hamilton 4.20). I've put him up the last two times he's won.

He's up to class four level but he's bang in form and carries a lower weight so if he's 2/1 or thereabouts he might be worth selecting again in terms of a multiple or yankee for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Muscika 6.38E was btn a neck in a much better race over this C/D by a horse now rated 104. He set a strong pace that day and didn't quite last home.Unsurprisingly, after such a hard race, he disappointed just 5 days later, but since had 26 days to recuperate.
This effective drop in class should see him home and dry.
9/2 in a few places.

Last edited:
Lightly raced La Lune 2.40H is obviously well thought of, and won over C/D as a prep for this race. D.Probert made that clear on dismounting her, and rides again in preference to the Balding entry.
15/2 Betfair.

Lights On 3.00P progressive; out the back from bad draw at Royal Ascot and allowed to coast home in 8th place. A rare visit to a track where connections do quite well, and proven in similar circumstances already.
Solid bet @ 9/2 B365

Lights On 3.00P progressive; out the back from bad draw at Royal Ascot and allowed to coast home in 8th place. A rare visit to a track where connections do quite well, and proven in similar circumstances already.
Solid bet @ 9/2 B365

Respect the connections but her form is all in handicaps whereas Agincourt has some nice Group race form to her name and is way too big at 11/2. She was given a horror ride in the Duke of Cambridge and should be favourite for this.

Aye, 5/2 now - Agincourt going the other way, out to 6/1 now.(from 7/2). That’s a serious drift for the top-rated (RPR) horse.

Last edited:
Back