What are you backing Today? Part 2

the Ante-Post thread seems to have been lost in the switchover, so I'll post this here:
Hackwood Stakes, 3.00 Nb, Sat.

King's Lynn was unlucky twice at Royal Ascot and looks a gp1 winner in waiting.
Still 7/2 with Wm Hill, and I'll be amazed if he's anywhere near that, come racetime. Appears to have everything in his favour, and the bet of the season, thus far, imo.

Last edited:
the Ante-Post thread seems to have been lost in the switchover, so I'll post this here:
Hackwood Stakes, 3.00 Nb, Sat.

King's Lynn was unlucky twice at Royal Ascot and looks a gp1 winner in waiting.
Still 7/2 with Wm Hill, and I'll be amazed if he's anywhere near that, come racetime. Appears to have everything in his favour, and the bet of the season, thus far, imo.

After the Wokingham notes: Once again KING’S LYNN didn’t get the clearest of runs when it mattered. This was his last chance before his new handicap kicks in, but I think he can run to it unless he’s bumped more here.

Ran off OR 100 there, now 109.

I'm dying to go on a rant about ratings. Tried to bait Timeform into one yesterday when they released theirs for the past weekend - they had the cheek to put Motakayyel on 127 for winning a ******* handicap. Truly incredible how bad they are - those and the OR's.

Anyway, I was eyeing up Diligent Harry for that sprint but his form doesn't look strong enough.

Tomorrow I might bet Balearic at Chepstow. He represents a strong formline from April but a step up in trip is a slight concern as he has pulled hard in 8f races. Tomorrow's contest has only three runners and it's over 10f.

I'm dying to go on a rant about ratings. Tried to bait Timeform into one yesterday when they released theirs for the past weekend - they had the cheek to put Motakayyel on 127 for winning a ******* handicap. Truly incredible how bad they are - those and the OR's.

Anyway, I was eyeing up Diligent Harry for that sprint but his form doesn't look strong enough.

Tomorrow I might bet Balearic at Chepstow. He represents a strong formline from April but a step up in trip is a slight concern as he has pulled hard in 8f races. Tomorrow's contest has only three runners and it's over 10f.

Yes, Simon Rowlands has a good take on it https://www.attheraces.com/blogs/se...and-galileo's-record-derby-closing-sectionals

Cheers
"[FONT=&quot]Motakhayyel “should” have been able to run a bit more than 1.0s quicker than Spirit of Bermuda, all things considered, but instead he was faster by just 0.05s.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]He looks to have left his length defeat by July Cup also-ran Glorious Journey in the Criterion Stakes at the same course and distance the time before a long way behind, but I have some reservations in view of the above"

Nail on the head. He's run to the same level in the Bunbury as he did in the Criterion.[/FONT]

I backed Oz Legend last Saturday at Newmarket but he was pulled from the race I presume for ground reasons. This was a tad strange as he'd finished not far behind Siskany and Surefire (intense Ascot form right there) in a novice at Windsor before entering my tracker after a good run in the London Gold Cup. Price has gone a tad today but he's worth a small interest in the 3.55 at Newbury.

Le Musigny has been in my jumps tracker since he split Darver Star and Conflated in a beginner's chase at Punch last October. He runs in the 4.00 at Killarney today and whilst I think the decent ground will suit him, I'm not sure about the track as I doubt I've ever bet at Killarney before. Henry runs 5 in this which also is a slight concern plus he's a JP so might not be off (no question he's well handicapped) I've put both horses in a filthy ew double at Fred who are playing 3 places in the Newbury contest despite just 7 lining up.

For tomorrow, I've taken 14/1 Scaramanga in the staying handicap at Newbury. He has just been raised to 151 over hurdles (for Paul Nicholls), which translates in a utopian world to 109 on the Flat so he could be nearly two stone well in. I can’t not back him.

Last edited:
For tomorrow, I've taken 14/1 Scaramanga in the staying handicap at Newbury. He has just been raised to 151 over hurdles (for Paul Nicholls), which translates in a utopian world to 109 on the Flat so he could be nearly two stone well in. I can’t not back him.

In to 9/1 tops.

Some time back I took 6/4 Celtic to decent money (much more than I would ever bet on horses) for the SPL.

My understanding is that Stevie Gerrard's reigning champs will need to sell their major assets to survive financially as the soft loans dry up.

Celtic have brought in top Aussie coach Ange Postecoglou and, while I wasn't too excited by the early signings, their signing today of Kyogo Furuhashi from Japan has Postecoglou's hallmark on it. I've spent some time today watching videos of the player and, while I'm almost invariably sceptical about such clips, I'm liking what I'm seeing in this guy.

He'll probably never be another Shunsuke Nakamura - he's a different kind of player for a start - but he looks a pretty lethal finisher. I've also read some technical data on his contribution to his team and they make for very encouraging reading.

I was very surprised to get plenty of 21/10 about Celtic this evening, certainly enough to cover last season's losses following four consecutive seasons of picking up money.

Man for man, Celtic were already a better team than the champions. They were just badly mismanaged last season. I can't see that happening this time around.

Great call DO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:)

Great spot, thank you sir!

Good call Thx DO.

That was quite a taking win for Real World. Looks like a G1 winner waiting to happen.

Aye, dunno about Real World, but he’s certainly the Real Deal. Didn’t get a clear run until just over a furlong out and then put the race to bed in a few strides, Derab is no slouch and saw off all the others, but he had absolutely no answer to Real World. As you say, he’ll dine at the top table from now on.

Glamorous Anna 7.35W, fast-ground speedball that won this 2 years ago. Went off too quick from a bad draw at Chester latest (g/s, according to RP)
10/1 B365.

In tonight's Champions' League qualifier at Parkhead, I find myself unable to resist a bit of 3/1 Midtjylland.

There's no way Celtic should be odds-on tonight (imo). I do fancy them to wrest back the Scottish title over the course of a season but this game is probably too much too soon for a struggling home side who looked lightweight against a physical Preston side at the weekend. Midtjylland will be every bit as physical and I'm not convinced Celtic are in a position to cope just yet.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong and anything better than a defeat will be a bit of a result.

Back