What are you backing Today? Part 2

345 Yar, Persist is in my tracker and whilst I'd much prefer her in a handicap Haggas has taken a listed race with a sub 80 rated filly already this season in Mystic Pearl (who has run well in Group company in France subsequently thus indicating her Sandown win was not a fluke.) Persist is older and more exposed but she was very eye catching at Goodwood and she's worth a go in a race that shapes up well for an each way tickle.

345 Yar, Persist is in my tracker and whilst I'd much prefer her in a handicap Haggas has taken a listed race with a sub 80 rated filly already this season in Mystic Pearl (who has run well in Group company in France subsequently thus indicating her Sandown win was not a fluke.) Persist is older and more exposed but she was very eye catching at Goodwood and she's worth a go in a race that shapes up well for an each way tickle.

Interesting race this, Euro, with a few iceberg horses who might show their hidden talents. I was disappointed with Al Asifah in the Ribblesdale where she was put in the right position, but didn’t stay. I still thinks she’s top class and if she is then she should take this pretty easily, even allowing for Reet’s point in the other thread that it’s probably a pipe opener. Never raced with any soft in the ground yet. I’m just a watcher and also interested to see how yours goes as well as Saphire Seas and Khinjani on their jump in Class.

It's a really good race yes bar. I've not actually backed Persist ew as I do think the win part is pie in the sky but I'm hunting down 5+ on the machine for a top 4 finish. The fav should win.

Interesting race this, Euro, with a few iceberg horses who might show their hidden talents. I was disappointed with Al Asifah in the Ribblesdale where she was put in the right position, but didn’t stay. I still thinks she’s top class and if she is then she should take this pretty easily, even allowing for Reet’s point in the other thread that it’s probably a pipe opener. Never raced with any soft in the ground yet. I’m just a watcher and also interested to see how yours goes as well as Saphire Seas and Khinjani on their jump in Class.

Saphire Seas looked pretty handy. Persist and Khinjani didn’t look up to this Class. As for Al Asifah no idea. Had a bumpy start, raced in rear then put in a challenging position 3 out. Found nothing when asked, but Jim Crowley didn’t seem to press the point and just let her fall back to 7th in the end. Pipe opener? Maybe, but it was too bad even for that, I think.

I think it’s quite likely that Ehraz - 7:00 Chelmsford - was set-up for the Constantine at York as it was his debut handicap. The handicapper has left him alone and I thought he looked a money back shot for next time, although I’m a bit surprised it’s an AW venture. In any event, the form looks good with the York run into third considering he was racing on his own out wide. He was always going easily.

Last edited:
Agree with all of that BJ,but why is he 7/2?
His form and his trainer says he needs a stiff test,and he's entered in a Heritage hcp at Ascot next month,which muddies the water a bit for me.
Good Luck if you play.

Last edited:
Agree with all of that BJ,but why is he 7/2?
His form and his trainer says he needs a stiff test,and he's entered in a Heritage hcp at Ascot next month,which muddies the water a bit for me.
Good Luck if you play.

Aye, it all muddies the water for me as well. I’ve had a little on and I’ll probably leave it at that.

I think it’s quite likely that Ehraz - 7:00 Chelmsford - was set-up for the Constantine at York as it was his debut handicap. The handicapper has left him alone and I thought he looked a money back shot for next time, although I’m a bit surprised it’s an AW venture. In any event, the form looks good with the York run into third considering he was racing on his own out wide. He was always going easily.

I suppose it’s sour grapes, but it looked like a next time effort to me. On the other hand Hollie Doyle’s got phenomenal winning stats when it comes to making the running (round there ?) so she may have caught Jim Crowley napping. Whatever, he owes me double time now:(

Tbh,it stank,imo - dropped out,(can, and has front run) and left a Herculian task to negotiate its way around the whole field.
Clearly the best horse in the race,tough luck BJ

I really like the look of the Charlie Johnston filly tomorrow in the 1.50 at Ayr, Lakota Sioux. My Prospero is a non runner, so now just 7 runners due to run. Pride Of America is really interesting.. A massively improved horse who came right through the top handicaps to now run in a listed race, that form with Astro King looks really strong.

I missed the 6s or bigger though, and Pride Of America is now short enough at 3/1 or thereabouts. Lakota Sioux is a lightly raced filly who I backed at Royal Ascot when she was third as a two year old.

I thought she showed plenty of promise that day, and she backed that run up when winning next time out. Then stepped to group company she did two poor showings, but after the entire season off back down to this listed class here, I definately think she is a big player tomorrow and the betting market is underestimating her, so happy to take double digit odds on her against the favourite.

Later on the card, have mentioned Monsieur Kodi on the anti post thread. Looks a solid each way chance and will do for me.

All dog lovers around the world should be really wanting to back Paws For Thought in the Ayr Gold Cup. He is still on an upward curve I reckon, despite two bad runs at Chester, and overall has been a much better horse since the wind operation. When he won at Hamilton in class two company he had the favourite for the Bronze Cup today, Rock Melody, back in third, so if the Jim Goldie horse could go close today that could be viewed as a form boost for Paws For Thought. This is a seriously deeper race tomorrow, but I'm thinking he can get in the places for trainer Donald Mccain, who wouldn't usually be known for his Ayr Gold Cup runners!

Best of luck all over the weekend.

Last edited:
Very nice work reet. I love races like that when you just know the odds-on poke is way over valued in the market. Great pick

Last edited:
Back