What are you backing Today? Part 2

I've been waiting for Twelfth Knight. He runs tomorrow in Ripon 3.30. He loves this track, having won here twice before, including the last day. I fancy him to handle the step up in class just fine tomorrow, and for what it's worth, (probably not a lot), he is my strongest fancy of the day tomorrow.

Best of luck to all in the Cambs. Will stick with Paradias and might add one or two more as well.

Well, I drew a complete blank in the Cambs but got a couple of wee shudders through the race when Graignes kicked on on the far side and then Stay Well up the centre but the big group on the near side got the best sectional rides and I was pleased to see Astro King get up to defy top weight. The fav might have been a touch unlucky but it would have been a brave man to take 4/1 or even less.

Hope somebody (Marb?) on here backed the winner. I was on it in the John Smith's at 50/1 and it should have won that. It has now proved that by winning its next two valuable handicaps.

Pleased because I'm fascinated by the scientific approach the trainers use.

Edit:

This is my top ratings table down to 119 (including all on that rating).

[TABLE="width: 468"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Horse
[/TD]
[TD]MON
121+
[/TD]
[TD]Notes
[/TD]
[TD]BO
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Majestic
[/TD]
[TD]122
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]25/1
[/TD]
[TD]4[SUP]th[/SUP] DH
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Geremia
[/TD]
[TD]121
[/TD]
[TD]p t
[/TD]
[TD]100/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Bopedro
[/TD]
[TD]120
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]18/1
[/TD]
[TD]3[SUP]rd[/SUP]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Dutch Decoy
[/TD]
[TD]120
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]33/1
[/TD]
[TD]6[SUP]th[/SUP]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Graignes
[/TD]
[TD]120
[/TD]
[TD]{126o}
[/TD]
[TD]40/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Astro King
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]14/1
[/TD]
[TD]Won
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Saga
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]+p
[/TD]
[TD]14/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Haunted Dream
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]20/1
[/TD]
[TD]8[SUP]th[/SUP]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Epic Poet
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]50/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Killybegs Warrior
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]25/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Oviedo
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]p
[/TD]
[TD]14/1
[/TD]
[TD]4[SUP]th[/SUP] DH
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Paradias
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]p t
[/TD]
[TD]28/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Stay Well
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]e
(122)
[/TD]
[TD]50/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Arqoob
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]50/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] Wildfell
[/TD]
[TD]119
[/TD]
[TD]??
[/TD]
[TD]66/1
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

So not that bad for the figures, which is always a positive for me even if I got wiped out.

Last edited:
The mother backed him Maurice. I'll get a wee share.

I remember you fancied it on the long shot that day it was second at 50s. I fancied it that day first time out at York.

He was always a really good handicapper, I think said earlier this season, that he was the type of horse, to run one great race, followed by a bad one, and vice versa. Obviously I take that back now!

That gelding operation over the winter has I think helped improve him those few pounds needed to prevail in a race like this. But take nothing away from the Kubler's. Well done them.

Ps, originally it was forumite Euro who I remember used to be keen on Astro King.. When he was with Stoute, before he was gelded and changed trainer.

Last edited:
On A Session 3.22A
14/1 3pl B365

A real blast from the past, and an interesting selection in this race. Feels like he's been around for ages, but capable on his day. I might back him myself. Good luck, RH.

Last edited:
First jumps bet of the season. This three runner race at Galway the best prices are 2/9 Feronily 13/2 Frontal Assault. I think the Elliott horse is worth a small interest. That Punchestown Grade 1 the Feronilly won might be not worth much. The horses he beat that day all had hard races at Cheltenham.

The 5.05 is interesting tomorrow. Rohaan is very solid at the top of the market given his run at Ayr but I'm kind of interested in Russet Gold and Tough Enough. Russet Gold ran a very good race behind Dark Trooper in the Shergar Cup but was poor over c&d when market leader a couple of weeks later. Tough Enough is an ex tracker who really is a 7f horse but 6 here might suit. He was bad at Sandown in his most recent outing but his run on the July Course behind Quinault and Mill Stream was decent for all that he was 5l behind those two and that race has worked out incredibly well. Will have a small ew Dutch.

ESCOBAR 335A 11lb lower than when it won the race last year.i must admit it hasnt been running well this year.
Took 25/1 earlier in week.

FRESH is the obvious choice but 5/1 is a bit short in a race like this.

I have a strong fancy in that big handicap at Ascot but those fvcking O'Meara bandits are annoying the sh1t out of me. Ridiculous prices [now] given their form this season, maybe not so much Rhoscolyn but certainly the other two.

The form book doesn't help, given its remark about Orbaan's last run:

"...with cheekpieces added, came from well back to snatch fifth, a run that suggests he may be able to end his drought in the coming weeks."

Loosely translated: not off an inch and prepping for something bigger down the line.

It might be today. Is there another 7f/8f mega hcap back here soon?

And the same owners have Pearle D'or [sic] in the race, wearing the first colours, form figures 692131 and carrying a penalty. Price 18/1.

Last edited:
Back