What are you backing Today? Part 2

Can’t believe the bumper at Exeter - they are going 40/1 bar the two favourites (8/11 and evens) Ambion View is in my notebook to watch so I've taken a little 40/1 to hold my attention. Expect the ground is horrible so anything could happen.

Hurricane Highway re-opposing Top of the Bill at Exeter tomorrow. He was thumped last time but the ground will be much softer now and the Twister carries a welter burden and HH is eight pound better off. Worth a go at 3+

Was a nice idea. Well supported into 6/4. Absolute dogshit.

This sums up why my approach to jumps racing will change next season. Wasting my time watching gaff Racing from gaff tracks and picking up horses like this thing from gaff trainers.

My spirits are good, I'm just annoyed that I got sucked into tracking a frigging Evan Williams horse.

I have looked at that card reet, bored with the slop at the moment. I was contemplating opposing Lord North over the trip but there's no pace in the race. I may back Diligent Harry in the sprint.

Tomorrow, Kempton 4.10 - I have a hard-on like a truncheon for Golden Son. He has a big reputation but things haven't gone to plan yet Cobden prefers him to the fanciable Quel Destin. He was running to ratings of 156 over hurdles in France and races off 135 here. Quel Destin is only 4/1, Golden Son is 10/1. I was tempted to put him on the odds-on thread...

Last edited:
My spirits are good, I'm just annoyed that I got sucked into tracking a frigging Evan Williams horse.

I have looked at that card reet, bored with the slop at the moment. I was contemplating opposing Lord North over the trip but there's no pace in the race. I may back Diligent Harry in the sprint.

Lord North is old as balls and this is 1m3. I'll chance Military Order. Doubled him with Harry's horse in the Adonis.

Last edited:
Tomorrow, Kempton 4.10 - I have a hard-on like a truncheon for Golden Son. He has a big reputation but things haven't gone to plan yet Cobden prefers him to the fanciable Quel Destin. He was running to ratings of 156 over hurdles in France and races off 135 here. Quel Destin is only 4/1, Golden Son is 10/1. I was tempted to put him on the odds-on thread...

Quel Destin first preference is Chepstow.

I have a hard-on like a hamster

Quel Destin first preference is Chepstow.

Yeh, saw that some time after i'd posted. Chepstow is a pishy wee meeting that I didn't look at.

No strength behind GS in the market, which is a concern, but given the form of the yard the last couple of Saturdays I've got to imagine they've had this wee race pencilled in for GS for a while.It doesn't have any festival entries so it's not as if it's prepping for anything. It would be just my luck if they're firing in the winners right left and centre and I end up on the one that's not off.

Last edited:
Tim Easterby sends Art Power to Saudi Arabia and he doesn't even get a mention, what's happening on here? :)

Will he handle the ground? Well he was a close up fourth on good to firm in a July Cup. I think he acts on this ground. Obviously he can win on soft
too, but it's often a sign of a very good horse who can act on different grounds, so now that he's gone and improved again after the castration, Art Power's a live chance to win the 3.25 today. Lump on I say.

I'm also taking a wee chance on the bottom weight in the Eider at Newcastle. Prince Des Fichaux who could be anything really, is totally unexposed, and while I'd usually think backing horses with no proven class in a race like this is not the way to go, four miles on heavy ground will take some getting, so the fact he carries this featherweight can only be a good thing. I'm not bothered about him being 4lb out the handicap, as for him to win this, he'll need to be well ahead of his current rating anyway.

Last edited:
No strength behind GS in the market, which is a concern, but given the form of the yard the last couple of Saturdays I've got to imagine they've had this wee race pencilled in for GS for a while.It doesn't have any festival entries so it's not as if it's prepping for anything. It would be just my luck if they're firing in the winners right left and centre and I end up on the one that's not off.

Looks like some strength developing in GS now. I don't think the two non-runners would account for the drop from the 12s available this morning. (I cashed out on the 10/1 bet to no loss and took the 12s then went in again at 9s when I saw it had gone blue.)

Last edited:
I've decided to go for a three-cross today.

I managed to get good prices during the week on these three and they're all shorter now so I'm encouraged to 'speculate to accumulate', something I don't do very often, in terms of backing multiples.

Bowtogreatness (took 12s on Tuesday) 13/2
Golden Son (12s & 9s this morning) 7/1
Cruz Control (took 14s on Thursday) 15/2

Win doubles and an ew treble.

One winner will more than cover the singles and multiples. Two winners will be very acceptable. I'm long enough in the tooth not to entertain strong hopes of landing the treble.

Quiet punting day as this Kempton card has never been kind to me, and I don’t really like The Eider card much either.

Have Arclight (5’s) and Fiercely Proud (7/2) in Singles/Doubles at Kempton, and Gold Clermont (10’s) and Forward Plan (8’s) in the big handicap chases, with all four in a small Yankee.

Last edited:
Will he handle the ground? Well he was a close up fourth on good to firm in a July Cup. I think he acts on this ground. Obviously he can win on soft
too, but it's often a sign of a very good horse who can act on different grounds, so now that he's gone and improved again after the castration, Art Power's a live chance to win the 3.25 today. Lump on I say.

Classy little tribute to Fred Elliott, a fine butcher, who died yesterday. Kudos Marbs, saw what you were doing there!

Cruz Control (took 14s on Thursday) 15/2

Few things irk me as much as needless negativity in tactics. If you're going to run a horse at a trip it's never tried you've got to ride it on the assumption that it stays every yard and then some. I really thought CC would make all because of its form over shorter but exaggerated hold-up tactics in soft ground were never going to work, especially when the pace wasn't strong. I wonder if the trainer asked the jockey to ride likethat but I doubt it.

Maybe we'll see different tactics in the Scottish National if that's where it goes next.

Tim Easterby sends Art Power to Saudi Arabia and he doesn't even get a mention, what's happening on here? :)

I'm also taking a wee chance on the bottom weight in the Eider at Newcastle. Prince Des Fichaux who could be anything really, is totally unexposed, and while I'd usually think backing horses with no proven class in a race like this is not the way to go, four miles on heavy ground will take some getting, so the fact he carries this featherweight can only be a good thing. I'm not bothered about him being 4lb out the handicap, as for him to win this, he'll need to be well ahead of his current rating anyway.

Prince goes down a neck over four miles, can I retract the 'I don't care he's four pound out the handicap' remark now!!

Nevermind, I am having a decent day for a change.

I'll be down the town centre on the pull tonight.

Look out for the bloke with the ginger beard.

Lord North is old as balls and this is 1m3. I'll chance Military Order. Doubled him with Harry's horse in the Adonis.

Another pleasant day.

I also got Tahmuras at 4s. Beaten by a shithouse handicapper. In all my 34 years of punting I've never known such relentless shite. Week in week out.

Another pleasant day.

I also got Tahmuras at 4s. Beaten by a shithouse handicapper. In all my 34 years of punting I've never known such relentless shite. Week in week out.

I feel for you, I really do. Horse racing can be brutal to bet on. I remember you did so well 3 or 4 years back on the flat.

Annaf. I should have did him. F*ck.

I have got sucked into backing the wrong horse. I've liked Annaf in the past aswell. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Did the TV people not watch the big race?

Forward Plan was in the front third of the field the whole way on the inside and always cruising. It was arguably a tad unlucky against Annual Invictus last time but that was a powerful finish. I wonder if that could be a potential GN horse for next season.

I got some money back from BTG but thought it was a brilliant race to watch. Sh1t hot handicap form.

Also, I thought Cap DN was ridden like a trier and will be one to watch going forward. Scottish National maybe?

Put that hard on to good use! Thanks for this.

Cheers, simmo. I had more on it than on everything else put together!

It's brilliant when one like that stots in. :D

(Tbh, I thought it wold win a lot more easily but I'll take it.)

Back