What are you backing Today? Part 2

Quiet day for me. Modest stakes.

H 1.15 - Prague ew 7/1 (3pl)

Just watched this race. I've had Tudhope as a negative lately and his indecision cost Prague the race. Only very minor consolation that I gubbed the SP.

(And then Tudhope goes and gives Epic Poet a great ride in the OBC.)

Master Builder, Ebor next year, my next ante post putting plan, enough said.

Caution, Marb. I said/did similar about Soulcombe when it won the Ebor two years ago. They could have held on to its revised mark for the season and won the Ebor but sold it to Australia to be aimed at the Melbourne Cup and ran second in it off the equivalent of something like 111.

There might well be offers too big to resist selling with similar intent.

Apiarist is very solid in the 3.25Y. He was badly drawn in the 3yo mile handicap won by Treasure Time at the Ebor meeting, lost a couple of lengths when he was taken back and fairly stormed home for fourth, clear of the fifth. The front three all promising types. I managed to get on at 13/2 last night with Denise but the price has gone a bit. Old Cock is feared but he's gone up 8lb for his last win and Kilt did bugger all for the form yesterday.

I can't see an angle in the Moulin but what a race.

I haven't studied at all for today but have made two smallish bets for the sake of an interest in the two better races.

JLM - Tribalist 18/1 - I'm a fan of Charyn even if I haven't backed it since it won earlier this season and I'd have it odds on for today but wouldn't back it at the odds. Instead, I've taken Tribalist ew at 18/1. Only two places on offer but he's only 3lbs off Charyn on RPRs and acts in this kind of ground and it's possible one of Notable Speech or Henry Longfellow might not. I just think the price is too big.

York 4.00 - Azure Blue 13/2 (ew) - rated (ORs) only 2lbs behind the fav but gets 5lbs. However, she went up to 114 (the fav is 108) for beating Highfield Princess last spring and was still rated 112 the time before last. She may well be in decline but she's maybe just taken time to find her form this season - the Land O' Burns odds-on fav was only rated 103 when she won that race this season - but if she's anywhere near her best she should win.

Amazing bet Dessie - Tribalist was too big a price on balance but I thought Charyn was a cert - imo he's the best horse in training, better than City of Troy. He was just given too much to do.

I've only just watched the race without knowing the result. Fair chuffed and a fine front-running ride by MB. I always prefer to see my horse try and race prominently when the ground is soft. If they don't go too fast it's harder to come from behind and I thought at halfway they given MB far too much rope. Anyone who backed Charyn is entitled to be a bit miffed at the ride he got.

Azure Blue looks gone right enough. one little nudge and she gave up.

Edit - for some reason I've been paid out at 25/1. I'm sure I took 18s! SP 20.7/1. That kind of makes up for the AB disappointment.

Last edited:
I've only just watched the race without knowing the result. Fair chuffed and a fine front-running ride by MB. I always prefer to see my horse try and race prominently when the ground is soft. If they don't go too fast it's harder to come from behind and I thought at halfway they given MB far too much rope. Anyone who backed Charyn is entitled to be a bit miffed at the ride he got.

Azure Blue looks gone right enough. one little nudge and she gave up.

Edit - for some reason I've been paid out at 25/1. I'm sure I took 18s! SP 20.7/1. That kind of makes up for the AB disappointment.
Well done. Thought the race had most of the ingredients for an upset.

AB lost a shoe and that, combined with the soft ground there's evidence she's not totally in love with, may well have contributed enough to the poor run. Could be worth another chance at a goodish price on faster ground.

Well done for the nice winner, DO. And a little unexpected bonus, too!!

Anyone see the 6.40 at Worcester tonight?

Awful from the jockey who stopped riding before the line when in front.

Can't see any mention of it on the Racing websites.

“Elizabeth Gale, the rider of CATUABA (IRE), placed second, beaten by head, had appeared to stop riding shortly from ½ a furlong out. Being a 7lb claimer, Gale was accompanied by a senior jockey. After being interviewed and shown recordings of the incident, Gale was suspended for 28 days for failing to take all reasonable and permissible measures to obtain the best possible placing on a horse that would have finished first. The Veterinary Officer examined CATUABA (IRE) post-race and had nothing to report.” Stewards Report

Back