What are you backing Today? Part 2

Yes, me too.

In the absence of Troll Peninsula the only one I'm heavily committed to today is Soldier Of Love.

Lots of small money spread over several others.

I like Mathew Flinders for this. Still unexposed at the trip Murphy booked has a big weight turnaround with the top weight for a small defeat. I think a strong run mile will be right up his street. I can see power of darkness running a big race too.

Epsom 250 city and suburban.
Good Birthday 9/1

It says in the overview on bet365 that hes nicely hcapped but has become disappointing. You can say that again.

Epsom 250 city and suburban.
Good Birthday 9/1

It says in the overview on bet365 that hes nicely hcapped but has become disappointing. You can say that again.

Incredibly well handicapped on his best form but lots to prove now. I think I'd want 20/1+.

I've gone for Harrovian but will probably need to have some sickness insurance on GB just in case! I backed it a couple of times last season.

Edit - just checked the betting. GB has halved in price since last night.

Last edited:
Incredibly well handicapped on his best form but lots to prove now. I think I'd want 20/1+.

I've gone for Harrovian but will probably need to have some sickness insurance on GB just in case! I backed it a couple of times last season.

Edit - just checked the betting. GB has halved in price since last night.

Aye, GB and Blue Cup hardened, the rest on the drift.

Ps: recent ATR Stable Tour quote re GB:

“ He is a useful older handicapper over a mile and a quarter. He is in good shape and has a few entries coming up. I think he is on the right side of the handicapper and should win nice races.”

Last edited:
mmmmmm Good Birthday. Bookies horse. Fair enough if you're on at 8s or 9s but he's hella short now.

A top weight Braveheart with form at the track you say? Sky Defender worth a go at 11s. He's fit and Epsom is one of the best weight carrying tracks in the country.

Ps: recent ATR Stable Tour quote re GB:

“ He is a useful older handicapper over a mile and a quarter. He is in good shape and has a few entries coming up. I think he is on the right side of the handicapper and should win nice races.”

They might feel they have unfinished business with the Magnet Cup.

A top weight Braveheart with form at the track you say? Sky Defender worth a go at 11s. He's fit and Epsom is one of the best weight carrying tracks in the country.

I was sorely tempted for these reasons, plus I have him top rated. I just fancy/hope Harrovian has scope to improve past him.

Blue Cup will have a '++' for that from me. Slowly into stride then repeatedly denied a run. I wouldn't necessarily insist that it would have won but it would have at least gone very close.

Harrovian looked to me not to act on the track.

Sky Defender probably ran its race but they might just have been saving something for the big handicap at the Derby meeting.

Blue Cup will have a '++' for that from me. Slowly into stride then repeatedly denied a run. I wouldn't necessarily insist that it would have won but it would have at least gone very close.

Harrovian looked to me not to act on the track.

Sky Defender probably ran its race but they might just have been saving something for the big handicap at the Derby meeting.

Mmm, wonder why Blue Cup drifted out to 13/2 from overnight 7/2 favourite?

Aberdeen 6/1 at home to Celtic this evening.

There's more than a fair chance the Dons will be busting a gut to get into new manager Stephen Glass's thoughts as he starts a re-build ahead of next season.

Celtic are rudderless, gutless, clueless and as good as manager-less right now. They should be playing for pride but I doubt they can manage that. I was expecting Aberdeen to be no longer than 7/2.

I hope Celtic win but they've been well below their best all season and I see no reason why that should change now with nothing to play for.

Half-time Aberdeen one up.

Going to script, including the obligatory perfectly good Celtic goal chalked off for offside.

:(

I'll have a wee think about taking a profit.

Edit - cashed out, happy to take a nice enough profit.

Last edited:
And Griffiths equalises with the last touch of the game, three minutes into stoppage time.

Last edited:
Although he’s the best miler we’ve got I’ve half a mind to oppose Palace Pier today in what is a pipe opener on his way to the Lockinge. Khuzaam put in a seriously impressive performance in winning the All-Weather Mile Championship a few weeks ago by an easy five lengths from Mum’s Tipple. When he was asked a couple of furlongs out he put the race to bed in a few strides and extended his lead to the finish. If (and it’s a big if) he can reproduce that form on turf he’ll give PP something to think about and at 7/2 it’s maybe worth paying to find out.

Last edited:
Although he’s the best miler we’ve got I’ve half a mind to oppose Palace Pier today in what is a pipe opener on his way to the Lockinge. Khuzaam put in a seriously impressive performance in winning the All-Weather Mile Championship a few weeks ago by an easy five lengths from Mum’s Tipple. When he was asked a couple of furlongs out he put the race to bed in a few strides and extended his lead to the finish. If (and it’s a big if) he can reproduce that form on turf he’ll give PP something to think about and at 7/2 it’s maybe worth paying to find out.

PP imperious, Khuzaam a minnow swimming with sharks.

Greaneteen - Have to be against Altior, Sceau Royal seems overbet now and PTKO I suspect might just be a Cheltenham horse. The Nicholls is overpriced at 8s - he travelled really well in the QM, just maybe didn't get up the hill. Sandown isn't quite as stiff as Cheltenham and the ground will be faster.

I'm going full Pumpkin today. I've also backed Solo in the closer and the 4.15 looks a horrible affair but Pic D'ory ran well off of a big weight lto at Taunton and his pedigree suggests the trip may not be an issue.

I've taken 5/2 to good money Altior today. Last night PTKO was 2/1, which surprised me, but I see it's correcting itself now. The way I see it, we're getting 5/2 that Altior isn't gone at the game but he has the winning of the race on this season's form anyway.

In the same race, I've taken 7/4 Greaneteen to beat Sceau Royal. The former is 1lb higher on ORs and 2lbs higher with me but has a pound to find on RPRs. I'd have both around 10/11 in a match.

Greaneteen - Have to be against Altior, Sceau Royal seems overbet now and PTKO I suspect might just be a Cheltenham horse. The Nicholls is overpriced at 8s - he travelled really well in the QM, just maybe didn't get up the hill. Sandown isn't quite as stiff as Cheltenham and the ground will be faster.

I'm going full Pumpkin today. I've also backed Solo in the closer and the 4.15 looks a horrible affair but Pic D'ory ran well off of a big weight lto at Taunton and his pedigree suggests the trip may not be an issue.

Agree with both and have backed accordingly - apologies in advance!

Another I like a lot today is Floating Rock 11/2 in the closer at Sandown. I’ve gone very high with his win at Ayr on Sunday (front two miles clear) and there’s no way of knowing until Tuesday how much he’ll go up for that. If his RPR (129) for it is any indication he’s effectively 10lbs well in here with no penalty accrued because it was a conditionals’ race. I was concerned that his jockey that day switches to Thibault but Jamie Hamilton has an excellent record for the trainer, is presumably the main jockey and wouldn’t have been eligible for Ayr.

Knowing my luck, though, he'll sink like a stone...

Overwrite 5.00 Rip has taken a walk in the market (4/1 general) owing to the easy lead he had to win lto, but he can hack a decent pace in the past, ove 1m and on faster ground. Imo, he's improved for gelding, only up 2lb for that victory,and his stable need to up his OR to ensure a Hunt Cup run. Looks good to me.

Well done Greaneteen backers. Brilliant performance. Take him out of the race and we'd be raving about Altior's return to something like his best.

I can comfort myself with the match bet recouping almost all my outlay on the race.

Back