What are you backing Today? Part 2

Carlisle 2.45.

Tangled E/W won class five and class four races at Beverley last season as a five year old, making 2020 his best season in training, since being a two year old when he was trained by Richard Hannon in 2017.

The 2017 season he showed great early promise when winning two class two's back-to-back, at Newmarket and at York.

These efforts took him to a rating of 100+, but he lost his way after that, before winning the Beverley races last season.

After a fair second the last day at his favorite track Beverley, he now looks bet material here, as he's on a very fair rating... decent odds at 20/1 or thereabouts too.

Last edited:
Army Of India 4.15R was thought enough of to contest last season's Coventry, and ran well subsequentiy. Showed he'd trained on with a close 3rd at Donny fto; was then knocked sideways at Chester, and it took most of the race to get him balanced.
Better expected today - 6/1 B365

Last edited:
UPDATED 9:54AM, MAY 17 2021
By James Burn..Racing Post

Four horses trained by Iain Jardine, who had a runner involved in a potentially huge gamble in February, appear at the heart of another attempted major coup after shortening dramatically for races on Monday.

Bookmakers were saved an estimated multi-million-pound payout on that occasion when the gambled-on final leg of a big-priced treble lost, but the horse Jardine saddled – Blowing Dixie at Southwell – was successful and layers may fear another whipping following eyecatching moves for the stable's runners.

They start at Carlisle on Monday afternoon, when crowds can return to English racecourses, with Tomily, who had been available at 16-1 on Sunday, but now heads the betting for the 5f handicap (1.35) around the 9-4 mark.

Monday's cards

Jump The Gun, who runs in Carlisle's mile handicap (2.45), is another Jardine representative to assume favouritism, becoming 6-4 after being slashed from 10-1.

Newcomer Wiganese had been 14-1 for his debut at Redcar in the 6f novice (3.40), but is a 7-4 shot, while Flood Defence was 9-1 for the 1m3f handicap at Carlisle at 5.00, but is now 11-8 in places.

Coral's David Stevens said: "We've obviously seen the move on these runners take place elsewhere, but from our perspective we didn't see anything overnight that caused any alarm bells, and while there has been some domino-effect backing of the horses in question this morning, we're fully on top of it so as yet it's nothing that's causing any concern."

Jardine's four runners on Monday
Tomily 1.35 Carlisle
Reached a peak rating of 104 when with Richard Hannon. The seven-year-old has had four starts for Jardine since switching from Ruth Carr and was not disgraced last time under Jamie Gormley, who again takes the ride.

Tomily
1:35 Carlisle
Jump The Gun 2.45 Carlisle
This consistent gelding has yet to win for the yard, but shaped with promise when second at 12-1 on his first turf start of the year at Hamilton this month. The 28-year-old Gormley, part of Jardine's operation near Dumfries, is on board.

Jump The Gun
2:45 Carlisle
Wiganese 3.40 Redcar
Successful first-time-out juveniles are not a trait of the trainer (no winners from 55 starters since 2015), but Wiganese has a speedy pedigree, so could be sharp enough and Andrew Mullen, his go-to rider this term, is in the plate.

Wiganese
3:40 Redcar
Flood Defence 5.00 Carlisle
Owned, like Jump The Gun, by Let's Be Lucky Racing, the seven-year-old is a course-and-distance winner, but that was from an 8lb lower mark and she may need further these days, although could gradually be working her way back to form.

Flood Defence
5:00 Carlisle
A dual-purpose trainer, Jardine took out a licence in 2008 and is based at the former yard of Len Lungo, for whom he rode during his time in the saddle.

He also worked for the late Ferdy Murphy and enjoyed his biggest win when Nakeeta landed the Ebor at York in 2017.

Last edited:
Carlisle 2.45.

Tangled E/W won class five and class four races at Beverley last season as a five year old, making 2020 his best season in training, since being a two year old when he was trained by Richard Hannon in 2017.

The 2017 season he showed great early promise when winning two class two's back-to-back, at Newmarket and at York.

These efforts took him to a rating of 100+, but he lost his way after that, before winning the Beverley races last season.

After a fair second the last day at his favorite track Beverley, he now looks bet material here, as he's on a very fair rating... decent odds at 20/1 or thereabouts too.

Boom boom boom haha 20s......yee haaaa

Last edited:
Oh I missed that Marb. Backed Sophie Leeches runner at Compiegne but it came second and I didn’t get bog. She’s doing very well with her raiding parties.

Oh I missed that Marb. Backed Sophie Leeches runner at Compiegne but it came second and I didn’t get bog. She’s doing very well with her raiding parties.

I don't blame anyone for not backing it.

It only won by a head in a bunch finish, and you had to go right back through its form to see why it could win.

The problem I have with the racing post online is it only shows the last six runs of a horse.

Sometimes in the handicaps you might need to go back a season or two seasons to get a better outlook on a horses form.

Usually this means clicking on a new tab on a horses name. However, doing this loads of times for big runner handicaps I find a bit annoying.

I wish they had a setting to show all the form of a horse or horses, as it would save me clicking on their name each time to open new tabs.

Ah well.

Last edited:
Excellent, Marb. Chuffed for you. Not my kind of race so opted out of backing it but really pleased that it won for you.

The problem I have with the racing post online is it only shows the last six runs of a horse.

Sometimes in the handicaps you might need to go back a season or two seasons to get a better outlook on a horses form.

Usually this means clicking on a new tab on a horses name. However, doing this loads of times for big runner handicaps I find a bit annoying.

I wish they had a setting to show all the form of a horse or horses, as it would save me clicking on their name each time to open new tabs.

Ah well.
Find that strange, Marb. I get lifetime form for every horse I click on?

Last edited:
Yeah but only if you click on each horses name and a new tab opens. I'm wishing I could get lifetime form for each horse under its name all on one page along with all the runners, Reet. There's probably a way, but it'll involve signing up I reckon.

Last edited:
It may be your means of access, Marb. I've no problem via Firefox (PC - Windows 10) or Chrome (tablet - apple)?

Yeah but only if you click on each horses name and a new tab opens. I'm wishing I could get lifetime form for each horse under its name all on one page along with all the runners, Reet. There's probably a way, but it'll involve signing up I reckon.

Have you tried geegeez, marb? The full monty is prohibitively expensive, but the free version gives you racecards and a you can call up the horses full history with a click. I know that’s not what you want, but it has a super filter when it will just show how it got on with the particular jockey, or today’s going, at today’s distance etc, etc. That’s very useful I find.

That London Gold Cup form might just be sh1t hot.

The winner has been raised 14lbs. Handicapper clearly likes the form too.

I was hoping it would only go up 7-10lbs so as to leave it still potentially very well handicapped - which it might still be - but things will be slightly more difficult now. I haven't checked the placed horses yet. I imagine they will still be worth following.

2.00Y
Looks the perfect pace scenario for Estate House and has the man on board to see him home.
Strong bet @ 7/2 B365

Last edited:
No surprise to see the first one halved in price.

Noorban 4.20A 6/1 B365
Took 8's earlier but on its way down still.

Back