What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cole Harden has to be a lay here at the prices. Hopeless on first start over fences.

Horse is gone at the game - clearly not enjoying it for either mental or physical reasons. If he was mine he'd go for a few days' hunting to freshen him up, change yards and have one more season over hurdles.

4.35 - Chester - Munro. 1.5 pts e/w. Available at 9/1.
We paid for selecting a horse drawn wider than ideal in a sprint here yesterday so it maybe folly to do so again. However Munro is a lot less exposed and has so far shown on the A/W that he handles a turning six furlongs. Since his debut in November he has won three of his four subsequent starts, his only disappointment coming in a Conditions race where he faced a very stiff task on Official Ratings. He beat today's favourite, Zamjar, in a Nursery in December but the half length runner up is weighted to turn the tables on seven pounds better terms and he has bagged a much more favourable draw. That makes Munro's task a difficult one but he looked as though he was still on the upgrade when winning last time out at Lingfield and he has already demonstrated that he is tactically versatile. This is his debut on turf but there is plenty of fast ground form in his pedigree and two of his three stablemates ran blinders at this meeting yesterday.

4.45 - Catterick - Meshardal. 3 pts win. Available at 4/1.
There has been early money for Extrasolar and he is well handicapped on his old form. He was just under a length in front of Meshardal at Redcar last time out and is weighted to confirm that result. He may well do so but his rival has won two of his five previous races over this C/D and he looks likely to get the generous pace that he needs to be seen to best effect. He isn't the horse he once was but he wasn't beaten far in better races from much higher marks last season and he had been in good from on the A/W prior to his latest disappointment. After 41 starts it's a surprise to see headgear (cheekpieces) enlisted for the first time but, if they have a positive effect, he could get very competitive under a jockey who has ridden him to all six of his career victories. The yard are in decent order and they have a profitable 15% strike rate here in recent seasons.

4.55 - Worcester - Exotic Friend. 1 pt e/w. Available at 11/1.
It's hard to be overly confident in any of the ten remaining runners in this staying handicap hurdle but some of them don't have many miles on the clock are possibly capable of being a bit better than they have so far shown. Of those, slight preference is for Exotic Friend, even though he appears quite weak in the early markets. He is now a nine year old but he was off the track for almost three years due to a tendon injury prior to returning last October and it's understandable that he never showed much initially. Three outings in handicaps saw him finish last, pulled up and a well beaten eleventh of fifteen but it was a different story on his last start. He was the length a quarter victor of an eight runner handicap over an extended 19 furlongs at Bangor and it was a victory which was far more comfortable than the distance he won by. It wasn't much of a race, and a subsequent eight pound rise in a better affair demands more, but this is just his tenth start under rules and, despite his age, there could be more to come. The step back up in trip looks likely to suit and the three pound claimer, who was on board for the first time last time out, retains the ride.

4.35 - Chester - Munro. 1.5 pts e/w. Available at 9/1.
We paid for selecting a horse drawn wider than ideal in a sprint here yesterday so it maybe folly to do so again. However Munro is a lot less exposed and has so far shown on the A/W that he handles a turning six furlongs. Since his debut in November he has won three of his four subsequent starts, his only disappointment coming in a Conditions race where he faced a very stiff task on Official Ratings. He beat today's favourite, Zamjar, in a Nursery in December but the half length runner up is weighted to turn the tables on seven pounds better terms and he has bagged a much more favourable draw. That makes Munro's task a difficult one but he looked as though he was still on the upgrade when winning last time out at Lingfield and he has already demonstrated that he is tactically versatile. This is his debut on turf but there is plenty of fast ground form in his pedigree and two of his three stablemates ran blinders at this meeting yesterday.

absolutely cursed. Can't buy any luck lately.

Suitably inspired by Slim's Dambusters job in the first, I have had a poke at Lash It On (prophetic) at 16/1 in the next at Tipperary, to land a quiet midweek job. Byrnes puts up a 7lbs claimer.

Last edited:
A bit unlucky yes, but bumped into Gossiping who looked like its life depended on sticking its neck out today, and depriving me of a decent priced winner. The Warrior should reverse that form if they meet again and now looks a horse to follow.

To my surprise The Warrior has got into the Victoria Cup, and a 5lb claimer nullifies the 2lb he was out up for Goodwood. 16s.

Kafoo Shememi (7.15) won as he liked fto, from a horse that was subsequently close up - after a troubled pasage - in a french listed race. Reportedly worked well with he stable's Guineas' hpes prior to that, and needs to win this to justify his SJP entry.

Not overly excited by today's racing but Duretto is too big at 18s in the Ormonde and fancy Rosabelle to grab the rail and make all in the 3:00. Taken 9/2.

Off to Ascot tonight for a works jolly and don't follow the flat, so any advice welcome. ta
In the 7:50 Normandy Barriere and Moonraker were 2nd and 3rd in the same race lto. I was on Normandy that day, but at the weights, and at the prices, I think Moonraker looks the one tonight. Good luck and have a good night.

Last edited:
There mightn't be anything in this but it's interesting (to me at least) that Gerald Mosse rode in France yesterday and is booked to ride one horse over here today before heading back to ride in Deauville tomorrow.

The horse is the well bred and Jeremy Noseda trained Tranquil Star in the maiden filles'.

In the 7:50 Normandy Barriere and Moonraker were 2nd and 3rd in the same race lto. I was on Normandy that day, but at the weights, and at the prices, I think Moonraker looks the one tonight. Good luck and have a good night.

1st and 2nd, but in wrong order. I should have advised the R.Forecast

Great Fighter looks a big price at 22/1. Needs to improve again but has looked progressive when easily winning his last two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobbs' Multiculture looks to have been laid-out for the Swinton. 9/1 big enough to tempt me in.

I spent a bit of time last night trying to get a handle on this one. Decided it was impossible other than to accept his current OR and possibility that his mark was being protected for a good reason. But I think it's already factored into his price.

Considering Peace And Co was rated 159 last year with the prospect of improving into his second season, his current 144 and extra year's maturity suggests to me he could be a serious blot. I missed all the 8/1 this morning, more than once clicking on the price only for it to have been adjusted (to 6/1). Basterts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back