What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Douvan coist me a pretty packet but there's a licence to print money running at Perth in Calett Mad who will absolutely love this trip.course and going. He is a stone better than his 2 rivals and should be 1/10 at 1.79.

Just a small e/w punt on Rathlin Rose for the weekend in the old 'Whitbread' at Sandown (3:35). Decent going should ensure he gets the trip. Rarely bet on a Pipe horse, so maybe a surprise?

Last edited:
Just had a small interest on Daddies Girl there (wish I hadn't bothered).

Funny thing was I'd left it @ 6's to place on Betfair with "take SP" selected if my 6's wasn't matched. Anyway it hadn't been matched so it reverted to BSP - which was 6.02 eh? :confused::confused::confused:

She runs tomorrow and they are expectant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a small field,forecast ground no worse than g/s, and first run of the season, today might be the day to take on Cracksman in the Ganay.
Cloth Of Stars isn't far behind on OR's, will act on the ground, and the drop back in trip won't do any harm after pulling far too hard in the 12f Sheema Classic.
4/1 seeems a fair enough price.

No doubt that Pennsylvania Dutch (16:05 - Thirsk) is my current cliff horse, but better give him another chance. He has it in him to win a 6f race like this, but unfortunately is very dodgy at the start, and so a risky bet. Hopefully new trainer Kevin Ryan can teach him how to trap well (horse was with William Haggas).

(Just took the 11/1 with Willie Hill e/w).

Last edited:
Spring Lodge Handicap Stakes. Newmarket. Saturday 1:50. Third Time Lucky 16/1 generally. Do not underestimate what a competitive and appealing handicap this is! Third Time Lucky is a Cambridgeshire winner already here at Newmarket. After that win, he was bumped up to a mark of 106, then understandably went off the boil as horses often do when they reach the ceiling of their potential. Over a year later I don't think trainer Richard Fahey can argue or be disappointed with the handicapper dropping this Course and Distance winner to a mark of 93, where he'll carry just 8 stone 8 pounds, because the highly 110-rated Spark Plug hold the weights down, (a bit like when a highly rated chaser runs in a handicap).

This won't be an easy task by any means for Third Time Lucky, but he looks the best horse on form and ratings to me. After a good sixth place at Newbury last time I do fancy him to run very well. I think he has one big more handicap to potentially win before he gets absolutely hammered up the handicap.

Last edited:
Musselburgh 4:40 Al Ozzdi. Thankyou Simon Crisford for pitching this is in a handicap off bottom weight. Everything looks right for a big run, including handicap mark and new headgear. A win double with Desert Ace in Chepstows 4:30 might be worth a go.

Morning

2.10 Uttoxeter...without Not That Fuisse

​Lough Ryn

Each Way @ 8-1 [Bet 365]..15 123

Is better than last run suggested

Newmarket 5:20. I tend to think horses having their first runs in handicap company after three maiden runs don't win as often as they did in the 'good old days', especially not in handicaps on The Guineas card. However, Rabbah bloodstock usually breed decent horses and Grecian Spirit should give each way backers a good run for the money from the front. Having improved on each run, he runs off 76 and can go well.

Last edited:
I made a case for Gary Moore's Gossiping the other day but the weather was awful and he was taken out.

I've mentioned Gossiping a few times recently. He's entered at Chester on Cup Day.
He won at Goodwood twice last season so certainly can handle a sharp track. Goodwood is a right handed track. Chester is also sharp, but is the opposite direction (left handed). Gossiping's last run wasn't too bad. He was un-fancied in the betting, but it looked like that was a fitness sharpener for something upcoming. Shane Kelly is booked to ride, so he's likely to take his chance.

I'm obviously still adjusting to the flat this season, as its only just kicked off. There's 30 entries for this race at the moment. I'm hoping a dozen stand their ground so I can get a decent price. Hopefully Gossiping gets a nice low draw in the stalls. I notice Ruth Carr's Explain also holds an entry, but Explain let me down last time. Hopefully he's taken out but you never know; He may run too. I've not given up on that one by any means. They're both well handicapped horses on their best form, but I only want to back one horse in one bloody race!

Good luck to anyone having a bet at Chester this week...

Last edited:
Grania O'Malley could be a sporting bet in the 5:15 at Kempton Park, (9/2 available atm)? Mare seems to be an improving sort and will be suited by the faster ground.

Good luck.

Windsor 2:35 Parnassian -8/1. A course and distance winner who is the most leniently handicapped horse in this race by a million miles.

Last edited:
You too, Marble. Hmm, interesting that one, might have a small dabble on Parnassian. Used to like Windsor in my younger days. Remember the evening meetings well.

Oh well, Grania certainly flattered to deceive? It's certainly a struggle to break a bad spell. Never mind, plug on!

8.55 tomorrow

Wolves - Sitsi 16/1

I was doing a write up for the longshot thread when Paddy cut their 20s to 16s about the Bryan Smart inmate.

I think the RP spotlight is a ridiculous comment, I'm not convinced the filly sees out 6f but has some fair form behind Novabridge who has excelled at Newcastle of late.

Gets the assistance of Joe Fanning tomorrow off what is close to a basement mark. The draw could have been a bit kinder for this prominent racer but if breaking terms and getting in.

An each way fancy for me away from the main fare at Chester.

I've mentioned Gossiping a few times recently. He's entered at Chester on Cup Day.
He won at Goodwood twice last season so certainly can handle a sharp track. Goodwood is a right handed track. Chester is also sharp, but is the opposite direction (left handed). Gossiping's last run wasn't too bad. He was un-fancied in the betting, but it looked like that was a fitness sharpener for something upcoming. Shane Kelly is booked to ride, so he's likely to take his chance.

I'm obviously still adjusting to the flat this season, as its only just kicked off. There's 30 entries for this race at the moment. I'm hoping a dozen stand their ground so I can get a decent price. Hopefully Gossiping gets a nice low draw in the stalls. I notice Ruth Carr's Explain also holds an entry, but Explain let me down last time. Hopefully he's taken out but you never know; He may run too. I've not given up on that one by any means. They're both well handicapped horses on their best form, but I only want to back one horse in one bloody race!

Good luck to anyone having a bet at Chester this week...

16 declared, including Gossiping and Explain, drawn 5 and 7 respectively, (the latter carries bottom weight).
I think the right bet might be an each way single on Gossiping, with a reverse combination forecast on Explain; I will also chuck in Muntadab in the reverse combination forecast as he's another horse that has to be respected.

Last edited:
Gossiping currently a well backed favourite. This looks like a right old gamble. I could swear one firm went 50/1 (Betfair?) a few days ago? :)

Anyway, I could do with a good result.

The right way to play the race looks a win Single on Gossiping, with an e/w bet on Explain as cover, (he can run into a place), & Reverse combination forecast and tricast including Gossiping, Expiain and Muntadab.

Hence, I will with either look very smart or incredibly stupid afterwards!

Is anyone following me in?

Last edited:
I really like the look of Raa Atoll in the 17.40 at Notts. Don't normally cover the flat, but have a works do at Ascot where he was entered at the 5 day stage, but has been declared here.

Had a lovely introductory race at Newmarket, expect him to come on bundles and think he'll win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back