What are you backing Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few bets today.

Barney Dwan at Ayr. Unlucky in the sense that the ground was against him at the Festival. Conditions fine today, backed him at 8s during the week and 13/2 last night.

Flying Tiger in the Jock CH. With Chester on his back is effectively off 133 and is overpriced. It's a competitive race but he's solid ew. Have also had a hedge with Verdana Blue (ew double with Olmeda for the Poulains)

Ballyoptic in the Nash. Missed the 16s earlier in the week but he's still backable. RSA form much the best on offer here and he should hit the frame.

Burbank in the 1640. Last time this horse had his ground was 4th in the Neptune. Actually ran really well at Cheltenham this season considering the going.

Graphite Storm in the Spring Mile. A mile on decent ground is this horse's optimum conditions and he should go well at a decent price. Has been gelded which I hope brings about some improvement.

The Tiger, Graphite Storm and Ballyoptic are all in singles and I have also put them in ew doubles with Bacardys for next week's Stayers at Punchy and Expert Eye for the Guineas.

Bangor 5.35 Always Du Cerisier 15/2 e/way - PTP form looks solid - 3rd btn 7l behind Invicible Cave who won a bumper at Navan before finishing 4th to Carefully Selected who was 2nd in the Champion Bumper at the festval. The 4th from the PTP race went on to win another point and then won a maiden H at Naas at first attempt under rules.
The trainer of the selection has won this race 3 times since 2011 at 14/1 - 11/8 and 5/2 - despite having no runners in 2015 he has had another 3 x 2nd's, a 3rd and 1 unplaced. So it looks like a race he targets for one of his good ones at his local track.

That's a great call Chef. SP c. 5/1 too as the money really came for him.

Another hard luck story for Theinval but doubt he'd have won anyhow and that's it for me and that horse.

Hope you kept the faith. Sadly I didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have done A Hare Breathe (well handicapped) at Ayr (2:55) and George William (well handicapped) at Newbury (3:45).

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
I've done Garbanzo (5.30 Nby) today, 44 win & 7 to place may be telling me something but at the prices I have to find out

Last edited:
Just had a small interest on Daddies Girl there (wish I hadn't bothered).

Funny thing was I'd left it @ 6's to place on Betfair with "take SP" selected if my 6's wasn't matched. Anyway it hadn't been matched so it reverted to BSP - which was 6.02 eh? :confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Just had a small interest on Daddies Girl there (wish I hadn't bothered).

Funny thing was I'd left it @ 6's to place on Betfair with "take SP" selected if my 6's wasn't matched. Anyway it hadn't been matched so it reverted to BSP - which was 6.02 eh? [emoji782][emoji782][emoji782]

A week Monday for her [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's two more horses for my tracker list. The winner has improved on soft and has a bright season in front of her.

The winner this day, Pretty Jewel, runs again on soft ground again at Windsor tomorrow in the 7:20, on just a five pound higher mark than when she beat Ingleby Hollow. Pretty Jewel will very hard to beat.

Last edited:
I'm having a rare midweek bet.

Pont 3.10 Atletico 7/2 - I got a tracker alert for this one. It has improved a fair bit on the AW over the winter and got a big sectional mark-up the time before last and was a bit unlucky most recently. I don't see why, until his form proves it, it should be the AW that has brought about the improvement. I reckon he's as likely simply to be on a nice curve yet he gets to run here off 10lbs lower than on the AW.

Hexham 3.50 Under The Red Sky 18/1 e/way - Yet to win in 30 attempts under rules as very one paced. However he is a good traveler and jumper. What appeals most is he seems to run best in spring (March and April) was 3rd in this race and although 1lb out of the handicap is 6lb better off and has the assistance of a profession jockey for the first time in over 2 years. If he can't go close to winning today I don't think he ever will. One negative however, is according to the betting he may be considered the stables 2nd string? I suspect the betting closer to the off will tell.

Hexham 3.50 Under The Red Sky 18/1 e/way - Yet to win in 30 attempts under rules as very one paced. However he is a good traveler and jumper. What appeals most is he seems to run best in spring (March and April) was 3rd in this race and although 1lb out of the handicap is 6lb better off and has the assistance of a profession jockey for the first time in over 2 years. If he can't go close to winning today I don't think he ever will. One negative however, is according to the betting he may be considered the stables 2nd string? I suspect the betting closer to the off will tell.

Not a kick in the arse off a qualifier for the longshot thread, Chef, so I'm going to follow you in.

Not a kick in the arse off a qualifier for the longshot thread, Chef, so I'm going to follow you in.

I was waiting for the books to show 20/1 but it just didn't happen so had to post on here. As soon as I posted the price tumbled on all books and it wasn't my fiver e/way that did it.

I'm having a rare midweek bet.

Pont 3.10 Atletico 7/2 - I got a tracker alert for this one. It has improved a fair bit on the AW over the winter and got a big sectional mark-up the time before last and was a bit unlucky most recently. I don't see why, until his form proves it, it should be the AW that has brought about the improvement. I reckon he's as likely simply to be on a nice curve yet he gets to run here off 10lbs lower than on the AW.

Well, that has served as a sharp reminder about why I avoid midweek racing. Only two real triers in the entire field, both outsiders, and they fought out a photo.

The 3:35 see's Garrity ride Ruth Carr's EXPLAIN E/W who also has some form with the aforementioned Muntadab. Explain has a good win strike rate of nearly twenty percent, (6/36), won on the soft/heavy last season. You need to put a line through the last couple of runs I think. He's value at 25/1 with the usual headgear applied.
I thought this ran a nice race this day, finishing 6th when drifting to about 50/1. He is declared to run in Cattericks 5:10 on Wednesday so will be hard to beat. I'm putting this on here now so I don't forget. Twin Appeal (on a going day) maybe a possible danger but I've had Explain on my radar since that last run. I think he's nailed on.

Last edited:
The winner this day, Pretty Jewel, runs again on soft ground again at Windsor tomorrow in the 7:20, on just a five pound higher mark than when she beat Ingleby Hollow. Pretty Jewel will very hard to beat.

Very unlucky mate

I know mate 5l late out the stalls and not beaten far. I wonder if the jockey was having problems in the saddle as he was riding her like a monkey on crack cocaine in the last furlong. All over the place. (No racism intended!).

Can't do a write up. Just one today. Giveaway Glance. Yarmouth 4:00. Well backed. From the Alan King stable. On a really workable mark, has decent form in the book. Double figure prices taken.

Last edited:
Hope you had it e/w Marble, decent price for 3rd!

Today, will have a minimum stakes bet e/w on Someone Exciting in the last (17:40) at Catterick. Popped-up on my tracker from last season. Mare's fitness after 172-day break has to be taken on trust, but she is a C&D winner. Well-drawn in 3.

This time last year ish Fire Fighting was rated in the early 100s and after a winter of running in sand pits is now off 96 at Epsom today. And of course Epsom is possibly the best track in the country for top weights. He's very backable today as is the stable's Dee Ex Bee in the earlier race (Derby trial?)

Fire Fighting was on my radar when he ran last time. I'd probably need to see that race again to see what it was about him as I didn't take any notes but in my book he is a really decent type on his best form, worth an OR of about 109/110. I haven't backed him today because I suspect they'll be trying to get him into the big royal Ascot 10f/12f handicaps off bottom weight.

One I did back today was Edwulf at Punchestown. I was fizzing mad at the ride he got in the Gold Cup, one of the most incompetent pieces of race-riding I've seen. He was never given a chance (and I've since been told that the camp appeared not at all happy with the jockey). I reckon Edwulf is as good as anything in the field so took out some sickness insurance at 12/1 but my luck is so bad right now - hitting the bar right left and centre without scoring - he'll probably get beat in a photo...

Road To Respect for me in the Punchestown Gold Cup (17:30). Fine effort to finish 4th in the Gold Cup at Cheltenham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back