What are you watching

So far, so good !

I've taken up a 3-month sub to Hitnews, and downloaded the Grabit utility.
I think I have managed the basics, so far. But I'm stumped as to where I should go to search for TV progs. Maybe you could recommend which Newsgroup(s) I should look in for same?
Would be ever so grateful.

As part of my detox routine, I spent the entire afternoon yesterday lying on the sofa imbibing fluids, and watched the first series of The Bridge back-to-back.

Absolute quality.

Last edited:
ignore the newsgroups for now, just use nzb's to start with - post 234

go to tv series (or whatever) click the nzb button to the right of what you want to download, open it, if the file is associated with grabit it should start downloading. Go to the folder it has downloaded to (when its done obviously) right click one of the rar files, extract to....then it should extract the avi/mp4 whatever file ready to play, or copy to card to watch on telly

Ill hang about a bit, just post if you need any help

tv3.jpg

tv4.jpg

tv5.jpg

just click what i've circled in red, thats to download continuum but obviously just look for what you want.

As a rough guide, go for sd cos hd will take forever to download unless you really want the extra quality. A 45 min tv show should be roughly 3-400mb - a bit larger is ok but if it shows as 5mb or anything stupid then its not the real show.

Odd things get removed throug dcma requests but pretty much always get uploaded again, so if you get files not found at all just try a different nzb or wait and it will most likely get reposted, walking dead, banshee 2 broke girls are notable ones that get removed fairly quickly

Its really easy to do, and there any many options for automating things too but just to start, start with nzb's it by far the easiest way to get going!

no probs, when you click to open the nzb it should automatically put the files into grabit and start downloading. then its just a case of finding where they have downloaded to, extracting and watching :)

NZB is great ! :) (I've donated a little Bitcoin to them as requested. (0.001 BTC). :o
I picked a random tv show, followed your instructions, and it's downloading happily to grabit now.

( One thing, I didn't get that little grey window ("Openeing Continuum") like yours in post # 266. It just started downloading automatically to grabit).

i take it it is the whole show downloading not just the nzb file, how long is it taking?
as long as its working i wouldn't worry about the window, i use newsleecher rather than grabit which mighht be why its different, but i got it when it was free, grabit is just as good though, although slightly different.

Nearly there, now, Colin.

1) It seems to me that the particular show (Eureka 7) has downloaded fully to grabit ................... but the little blue Vista circle is still revolving in the grabit page, which indicates that activity is ongoing.
2) I've checked my downloads folder and, hurray, Eureka seems to be there !

3), Sorry 'bout this, which which file should I open to view it or save to usb stick?

I know you said earlier something about RAR files, but I'm unsure.

ok firstly have you downloaded winrar and quickpar and installed both as it doesn't look from your screenshot that you have
secondly thats nowhere near downloaded, what speed are you getting on grabbit, try setting it to 8 connetions if thats possible

Oh dear me, that's disappointing. Looking at the download speed on Grabit -- it's 0.00 KB/s. :(
Seems to me as if the grabit has crashed on me.

No, I haven't downloaded WINRAR or QUICKPAR. Hadn't realised it was necessary to do so.

Look, I'm gonna leave it for tonight. I've got a headache from it, and I know you are getting pee-ed off and must have other much more important things to attend to.

I'll do the winrar and quickpar steps tomorrow; if it's okay I'll post any difficulties I might (probably) experience on here on the 'morrow.

Many thanks and appreciation again for all your help.

Yes you need to download them both
not sure why your speed is 0.00, but i don't recognise that file, it could be faulty or something. Post when you're kicking about tomorrow and I'll give you an nzb that I knows ok to try out, screenshots below of what it should look like when you extract etc (one winrar and quickpar are installed)

tv8.jpg

tv9.jpg

tv10.jpg

that download was faulty, you have no files waiting to download. Just download anything, even if you don't want to watch it, just to get sorted and see its working then you get the feel of it from there.
http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/
thats a really good site showing whats on tv, and what should be available each day.
Tomorrow morning try downloading how i met your mother, thats usually fine, and only around 200mb so shouldn't take too long

No, it had finished downloading.
And, according to Grabit, all the files were downloaded. The "batch"! tab is empty and the message at the bottom is "No jobs in queue" -- whereas when I started it up this morning there were "2 jobs in queue" -- yesterdays Eureka Segven episode and the episode of How I Met Your Mother.
Which makes me believe that both have downloaded successfully.

Back