What are you watching

The Investigation: another Nordic drama, which follows the investigation into the death of journalist Kim Wall aboard a 'home made' submarine in 2017. A couple of times spends too long on atmospheric shots in car rearview mirrors, but well told and amazing the lengths the Police and various diving units had to use in desperate search for evidence to have enough to charge the main subject with murder. Some familiar faces from The Killing ( original Danish version - series one is brilliant), and Borgen ( Danish series about the workings of the Danish Parliament ( nowhere near as dull as that sounds and well worth a watch).

Great. It’s on BBC. I can get catchup for BBC. I’ll watch that one. I loved TWIN. Recently watched Rick Steins Cornwall. Never liked Rick Stein much but I used to live in Cornwall and his love for the place really shone through (even though he has ruined Padstow). Also watching the latest David Attenborough but have found that, in my old age I struggle with the brutality of some of it.

Great. It’s on BBC. I can get catchup for BBC. I’ll watch that one. I loved TWIN. Recently watched Rick Steins Cornwall. Never liked Rick Stein much but I used to live in Cornwall and his love for the place really shone through (even though he has ruined Padstow). Also watching the latest David Attenborough but have found that, in my old age I struggle with the brutality of some of it.

I think they said the other night that The Bridge is also on the iplayer- definitely worth watching if not seen, and if have, to watch again for its' sheer brilliance and Saga.

She's magnificent isn't she? Bought someone series one after raving about it/her, he was saying ' don't do sub titles'...yes, yes I said but you've GOT to watch this, he ended up watching the whole of series one in one sitting. :)

Started watching The Investigation last night. I like series with subtitles because I actually have to sit and concentrate: with other programmes I tend to fidget about. There really is a limited gene pool acting wise in Scandi dramas isn’t there. And I really struggle with series (of which there are many) in which people have dogs or children and then disappear for hours/days/weeks on end. I spent most of episode one thinking that, if both he and his partner were out at work all day who was letting the Labrador’s out.

The Serpent was very good. Liked the way it was shot in 'soft focus' - for want of a more technical phrase - which seemed more apt for the 70s than UHD would

As ever with 50s 60s 70s period pieces produced today, the smoking was over-emphasised and failed to recreate the nonchalent, slick manner we devotees of the sotweed mastered back then: it was obvious the cast were non-smokers pretending to be 60-a-dayers

Still, good stuff and it was nice to be reminded of fly-away collars and hip-hugging flares:)

Started watching The Investigation last night. I like series with subtitles because I actually have to sit and concentrate: with other programmes I tend to fidget about. There really is a limited gene pool acting wise in Scandi dramas isn’t there. And I really struggle with series (of which there are many) in which people have dogs or children and then disappear for hours/days/weeks on end. I spent most of episode one thinking that, if both he and his partner were out at work all day who was letting the Labrador’s out.

That's the kind of thoughts I have! Poor Wallander's ( Branagh) dog! Wallander doesn't go home for days but the dog's always in the house when he does. In The Departed, WHY did they go back to the deserted warehouse? And dont get me started on HUGE hole in plot in Heat, which I love, but every time that hole annoys the .........
I have subtitles on all the time as struggle a little to hear dialogue if a lot of back ground noise/loud sound track etc., so I don't find them a pain at all. Recent Dunkirk film at the cinema, I missed most of it because of intrusive sound track. On the television recently, I actually found out what they had been saying. Still don't get the Styles casting - 1000 young actors could have done it as well at least.

Ditto the scandi Wallander (I didn’t like the Branagh one). Wasn’t she called Jucie or something?

Ditto the scandi Wallander (I didn’t like the Branagh one). Wasn’t she called Jucie or something?

Jussi, yes. I'm not keen on Wallander, either version but I LOVE Sir Ken. Makes some odd Film/TV choices I think, but having seen him often on stage, he is absolutely phenomenal. He really is a great actor. If, when going to the theatre becomes a normal activity again, and you have the chance to see him in anything, go.

Oh no. I’m on episode 5 and my internet connection is really bad (weather up her is awful today). This is so frustrating!

I understand why they have dogs in the programme now. I read that they used one of the actual dogs involved in the investigation in the series but don’t want to read up on it again till I’ve seen it all.

Finished it. But struggled to find the article I’d read about the dog. Eventually found it. It was a review in Vice magazine that Kim had written for and her parents insisted that their dog would play himself. Didn’t really understand the end but I never can understand police’s stuff eg Line of Duty. Was more fascinated by how different it was to all other crime dramas and even more fascinated by cadaver dogs (still don’t understand why they’re still not being used to detect COVID carriers: the trials seemed to be very successful). Had it not been a true story it would immediately by dismissed as totally implausible. Now to start on The Serpent.....

I am watching it on terrestrial so only up to episode 4, I don't like watching things on my PC if I can avoid it,Interesting fact about the fat being what the dogs pick up on! Love Line Of Duty, first series the best one I think. Couldn't get into The Serpent - can't take Jenna Coleman seriously as an actor.

Funny I love Jenna Coleman. And she’s great in The Serpent. BTW Moe, it starts a bit slowly but keep with it as by now (think one or two episodes to go) it is really gripping. Even more so as it’s true. He is unbelievably convincing as a cold psychopath.

My daughters watching The Serpent and we usually like the same things. Just hope my iPad is behaving itself. Buffering takes me back to the days when I had my first computer. I came close to throwing out of a window once. Haven’t got catchup on the tv.

Having to watch The Serpent in bits. Sometimes have to watch halfway through an episode as it’s terrifying me? Am on episode 5 I think.....it’s like when I realised that Fred and Rosemary West were murdering people at a time when I used to hitch from my home in Birmingham to Cornwall, my parents thinking that I was travelling by train. There but for the grace etc etc.

Just binge watched the last three episodes. Glad I stuck with it. Was thinking that The Killing made the BBC up their game when it came to crime drama. Think I need something a bit easier now eg Horrible Histories.

Just binge watched the last three episodes. Glad I stuck with it. Was thinking that The Killing made the BBC up their game when it came to crime drama. Think I need something a bit easier now eg Horrible Histories.

Yes. I can't watch graphically violent stuff any more. It disturbs me. I don't sleep well enough at the best of times. The last thing I need is violent scenes swirling around inside my head through the night.

Trouble is, when I watch one episode of something like that I then have to watch it all to exorcise it. It reminds me of when my daughter was little and they showed an excerpt from ET on the telly in which he was hiding in a shed at the end of the garden. She was terrified by it but was ok after she’d seen the whole film: it was a bit of a gamble taking her to see it but it worked. What was fascinating about both series I’ve just seen is how difficult it is to convict someone. I am careful about what I watch though, having never got over seeing The Exorcist. Mark Kermode showed a tiny clip of that in his latest secrets of cinema series which caught me by surprise and now I can’t get it out of my head. I’ve never watched Blair Witch Project.

Back