What are you watching

The new scandi noir starting tonight on BBC4 looks good. At least the music is good which is a good start. I must get hold of Succession.

Watched Silk Road the other evening, apparenly based on a true story and, to a non-techy like me, it was an eye-opening look inside what's occuring on the Darknet and some of the strokes pulled with Bitcoin. Highly recommended and particularly educational, in my case.

I didn't know they had made a film about it, so watched it tonight. I followed what was happening quite closely at the time, and the film certainly changed quite a bit about what happened.

https://www.wired.com/2015/04/silk-road-1/

Those articles say what actually happened, how he actually got caught, and are a decent read :)

Last edited:
I managed to force myself to watch the programme last night about Max Clifford.

It was very [for me] disturbing viewing. Savilesque.

God, my heart went out to those poor [then] young women who innocently ventured on to his web of deceit.

I found it hard to feel sorry for the Fleet Street big noises who also were caught up in it all. Reap what you sew and all that.

You also have to wonder if senior police were compromised for it to have taken so long for the women to come forward.

I can imagine a film being discussed somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
I watched Escape from Pretoria last night [emoji15] quite grown up for me !! Did enjoy it though.

Also finally watched contagion the other day, that’s an interesting film with what’s been going on the last year or so !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched a mini-series on Netflix last couple of days called 'White House Farm,' true story of the murder of a family and the subsequent police investigation and trial. I recommend a watch, but note, I found the (sensitively handled tbf) coverage of the murder of children incredibly disturbing. Maybe it's my Granddad tendency.

I watched a mini-series on Netflix last couple of days called 'White House Farm,' true story of the murder of a family and the subsequent police investigation and trial. I recommend a watch, but note, I found the (sensitively handled tbf) coverage of the murder of children incredibly disturbing. Maybe it's my Granddad tendency.

It’s very good isn’t it - it was on tv a little while ago.

I’ve just had some Sherlock clips pop up on my Facebook history and I had totally forgotten how much I enjoyed it - and watching with fresher eyes I’m much more impressed by it. May well use it as something a bit meatier between my binging The Big Bang Theory and Heartland ( very late to this one, it’s a whimsical horse drama on Netflix - very gentle and easy to watch far too much of!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We discussed this series on this thread when it was shown in the UK. June Bamber was a distant relation of mine so I have a personal interest. It does make me angry when I see people campaigning for his release. He is rotten to the core. Always was.

I subsequently read up on the case JJ to ascertain if/where they had used dramatic license in the series. I did note that one of those involved shared your unusual surname, but didn't want to seem I was prying by asking you. Dreadful, sympathies.

I think it was a fairly accurate portrayal of the events from what I can remember. I never knew June nor any of the family personally but her brother used to correspond regularly with my father for support in keeping Jeremy in prison. It’s a fairly distant connection as they are a different branch of the family (with a slightly different spelling) but every one who has the surname ties into my family somewhere. We’re a rare commodity! :lol:

I loved The Serpent. A fascinating subject and a chilling true story. If it hadn’t been for the Dutchman, he would never have been caught and how many more travellers killed? Thought the acting excellent especially when I saw the guy who played him interviewed. You wouldn’t have known it was the same person.

I loved The Serpent. A fascinating subject and a chilling true story. If it hadn’t been for the Dutchman, he would never have been caught and how many more travellers killed? Thought the acting excellent especially when I saw the guy who played him interviewed. You wouldn’t have known it was the same person.

Yes. I loved it too. I’m glad I listened to you and stuck with it.

Sorry both, didn't like or think it well acted.

It took me 5 episodes to pack it in mind

The actual bad guy was genuinely creepy

Tried The Unforgotten from the start, managed 2 episodes, it may well be good but just didn't grab my attention enough I'm afraid.

Bloodlands is good though.

I would stick with Unforgotten , they like to have rounded characters/build the story. If not going to continue with the current series, go back and watch series 3, seriously, brilliant cast and will give you goose bumps in the last episode! :)

Enjoyed the first two series of Unforgotten and now half way through Series 3, so no more spoilers please :)

I'm having the summer off work this year so I've been watching a lot of Netflix.

Films:
Everest 7/10.. Based on the true story of a disaster on the mountain in 1996. Good cast.
Spenser Confidential 7/10. Silly but I like Mark Wahlberg and Boston is a great backdrop for a film. The Town the best example of this.
Red Dragon 7/10. Prequel to Silence of the Lambs. Nowhere near as good but Hopkins is excellent
6 Underground 7/10. Similar to Spenser in that it's a silly action flick with a good lead. Enjoyable.
The Sweeney 3/10. Ray Winstone is no John Thaw. Awful
News of the World 8/10. Really good. Hanks is excellent as ever.
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 6/10. Not amongst the best Coen bros films but not bad. Loved Tom Waits in one of the stories.
The Irishman 8/10. You cannot go wrong with a cast this strong. The computer stuff they employed to try and make De Niro et al look 30 again was off though.
The Dirt 8/10. I saw Motley Crue live in 1986, they were immense. I don't think you have to love the band to like this though.

TV
White House Farm 8/10. Maybe an episode too long but very good
Justified 9/10. Still to watch the last season but this is in my top 10 all time for tv, lower end of the list.
Schitt's Creek 6/10. First couple of seasons (6 in all) were fun but it struggles the last couple.

Update
Film:
The Highwaymen 7/10. Portrayal of the two Texas Rangers who took out Bonnie and Clyde. Coster and Harrelson. Very good
Allied 9/10. Wartime drama featuring the actress in my avatar and Brad Pitt. Loved it though biased as Marion is my dream lady
The Gentlemen 7/10. Guy Ritchie flick so you know what you're getting pretty much. Good casting Matthew McConaughey excellent

TV.
To pass the longest week of the year I thought I'd proper binge watch an old favourite. Nine seasons, 150+ episodes should do it - The West Wing. Immense TV. Top ten show all time easily.

Series 4 of Unforgotten started last night. If you haven't seen any of the others, catch up. Series 3 in particular is spectacular, the acting is off the scale from a fabulous cast, and trying not to give it away, the performance of the actor playing the guilty party is absolutely spine chilling.

By gum, not 'arf. That was seriously unsettling and as you say, a masterful piece of acting: the quintessence of Psychopathy. The performance of DCI Stewart barely coping with the grizzly revelations was splendid too

Last edited:
Back