What are you watching

I was really upset....kind of wanted a happy ending....:(

I binge watched it on my iPad initially but use subtitles usually so a lot of the plot went over my head. So I started watching it weekly on the tv and realised I must have nodded off and missed a very crucial part of the story. I cried more watching the last episode last night than I did first time round. Even my daughter, who’s very good at working out where a plot is going was caught out by this one. I don’t know how they packed so much into a one hour episode. I didn’t find it too sad; one of my favourite books is Tess of the d’Urbevilles so I quite like wallowing in melancholy. And, in general I don’t like love stories (eg why did they introduce a totally unnecessary love story into SAS Rogue Heroes?) but The English was more about kindred spirits and soul mates. I loved this series on so many levels but the ending reminded me of a series I saw in my teens that resulted in me reading all of that authors books and actually shaped me as a person. It would be too much of a spoiler to say what that series was. One of those series that makes me want to suffer from amnesia so I can watch it again for the first time. Even so I’ll probably watch it again and just wallow in the sheer visual beauty of it.

Last edited:
but the ending reminded me of a series I saw in my teens that resulted in me reading all of that authors books and actually shaped me as a person. It would be too much of a spoiler to say what that series was.

That sounds hugely intriguing, Moehat. If ever you're ready to say, it would be fascinating to know what it was.

That sounds hugely intriguing, Moehat. If ever you're ready to say, it would be fascinating to know what it was.

It would be too much of a giveaway because the ending of The English was so unpredictable. I’d hate to spoil it for anyone yet to see it. I’ll try to message you and tell you, unless, of course, you haven’t seen it and it would ruin it for you. I’m so fed up of being immersed in a series only for it to end disappointingly (eg Game of Thrones that I haven’t rewatched even though I used to rewatch every season several times).

It would be too much of a giveaway because the ending of The English was so unpredictable. I’d hate to spoil it for anyone yet to see it. I’ll try to message you and tell you, unless, of course, you haven’t seen it and it would ruin it for you. I’m so fed up of being immersed in a series only for it to end disappointingly (eg Game of Thrones that I haven’t rewatched even though I used to rewatch every season several times).

Ah yeah I haven't seen any of The English yet, saving it for a binge day/weekend. maybe wait till after that :-)

I was really upset....kind of wanted a happy ending....:(

Yes me too.. should have sussed something when he asked about her gloves :(
I saw an interview about the series and during the writing /research apparently the plea from some Native Americans spoken to was please don't kill him off/have him meet a nasty end at the hands of 'some white folks'.
Beautifully shot, beautifully filmed, terrific cast and wonderful acting.
I don't buy many DVDs , may have to make an exception in this case.

DM me please too! I'm intrigued and love a great story. :)

The cinematography for The English was superb....some of the best I have seen. And yes the connection between them was beautiful.

A Christmas Visitor

It's a less well-kent Christmas film I first watched several years ago, starring William Devane. It's usually screened on one of the obscure Freeview channels but this year I decided to find it via my Firestick.

It wastes me every time.

... on to Holiday Inn...

I watched White Christmas the other night and it's brilliant but...

Holiday Inn is another step up.

Astaire is just sensational.

While Mrs O is in the other room watching the final of Strictly, I'm watching proper footwork!

Going to watch The Keeper tonight. Was recommended by someone a while back and I’ve realised it’s still on iplayer. ( watched it: thought it was a bit lightweight at first but then remembered that it was based on a true story so had to Google it while I was still watching it to see where it was going. Did the same with a film about boxing years ago: was so immersed in it I was scared to watch the end till I knew what was going to happen. Mike knew about Bert Trautmann straight away when I mentioned it so I’ll put it on for him to watch)

Last edited:
If you didn't catch it last night, I recommend you get Snow Dogs up on i-player, and spend an hour watching Gordon Buchanan trying to master sledding with huskies across the Yukon. 60 minutes of tremendous programming.

He even manages to get the first "Ooyah fu*cker" I've ever heard on TV. Worth it for that alone, really.

Last edited:
We went to a talk given by Gordon a few years ago. He’s great. The first book I took out from a library when my primary school took us to one and we all joined was The Call of the Wild after which I read White Fang. Been a bit obsessed with wolves and huskies ever since. My little granddaughter watched Balto the other day: unusual for her she was glued to it and we were both blubbing at the end.

Last edited:
The Call of the Wild is a highly recommended read.

Moe, I would also recommend The Philosopher and the Wolf, by Mark Rowlands. I can't help thinking you'll absolutely love it. My brother gifted me a copy after the death of my wee heinz about seven years ago. I struggled to hold back the tears all the way through reading it.

I’ve always wanted to hear a wolf howling in the wild. Not much chance of that though now. I think my travelling days are over. I did see some wolves up close at Dublin Zoo once. Maybe if I stayed in the vicinity of the zoo I might hear them. I did see two Otters cross the road in front of me when I was doing my nightly walk a few weeks ago and I’m still on a high from that!

I finally managed to persuade the Mrs to watch a version of the call of the wild a few months ago (might have been a year). I've loved it since I was a child, both book and film versions.

She loved it.

I finally managed to persuade the Mrs to watch a version of the call of the wild a few months ago (might have been a year). I've loved it since I was a child, both book and film versions.

She loved it.

Was that the Harrison Ford version (with lots of CGI)? I watched that about a year ago too. The CGI actually dampened my enthusiasm for it but it's still a great story, let alone a brilliant read.

Was that the Harrison Ford version (with lots of CGI)? I watched that about a year ago too. The CGI actually dampened my enthusiasm for it but it's still a great story, let alone a brilliant read.

It was the Harrison ford version which I thought was decent enough for a modern version, didn't go too far towards schmaltz.

White fang next!

And I got taught a Jack London short story at school called To Build A Fire - excellent wee story!

Last edited:
I’ve just remembered a film called Alpha which was about a wolf. I bought it for the grandchildren but realised it was too scary for them. I loved it. Annoyingly I can’t find it anywhere because I’d love to watch it again. I probably bought it because Kodi Smit McPhee was in it and I’ve liked the films he’s been in (eg Slow West). Currently watching a Sky Arts programme about Pink Floyd. The only pictures in my room when I was young that weren’t of racehorses were of Syd Barrett.

Normally I get embarrassed when people pronounce my name à la française but a pretty younger woman called me it the other day and I found I quite liked it! She's maybe seen the trailer for the film.

Was it the Steve Miller (not ours) Band who pronounced it à la française in The Joker? Back then, I dreaded anyone calling me it that way.

Back