What are you watching

Decided to watch Yesterday the other evening as there was not much else on. I hadn't seen it since a rare foray to the cinema when it came out.

I'd forgotten what an utterly enjoyable little film it is (and how sensational some of the Beatles' songs are/were).

And the character played by Lily James is impossible not to fall in love with.

I'm at an age and stage when I want films to entertain me and this one does in bucketsful.

Think I raved about this last time it was on TV and I only watched it then as nothing else as not a big fan of the Beatles if I'm honest. Lovely moment when he meets you know who - if only! Have had Eleanor Rigby on brain since and I can't get all the lyrics either!

Eleanor Rigby is one of my -many - favourite Beatles songs.

I find the lyrics easy to remember for some reason, maybe because they strike me as consequentially logical.

I'm trying to persuade my fellow-giggers to let me sing it some time this year. I know the musicians in the group will do it justice but not sure I would!

I was feeling a bit cultural this evening and I like a bit of Opera when I'm in this mood. Wagner's my favourite but I do like an Italian on occasion. Most I've seen have been on stage but I chose a film version of Puccini's Tosca with Placido Domingo. It's on Youtube and highly recommended.

Not watching but listening to.

I've just discovered "The Jeff Healey band" after watching Roadhouse.
Considering he was blind all his life,what a guitar player.

Has anyone watched Our Flag Means Death? I really don’t know what to make of it. I do like quite weird comedy series eg I loved The Mighty Boosh but I donty know whether to persevere with this one. A second series has been commissioned so some people like it.

Watched the Imagine documentary about Wilko Johnson last night. I was never a Dr Feelgood fan so didn’t understand why he was idolised by so many people but what an amazing person he was. Quite an academic too having learned various languages so he could read books in their original language. It was followed by a pretty good Punk on the BBC programme. Also saw a programme about Clem Burke on Sky Arts a couple of nights ago. Always thought of Blondie as being Debbie Harry and Chris Stein: had no idea they had such an amazing world class drummer and all round good guy. Avoided all the drug taking that caused so many problems with his peers and takes part in a lot of scientific studies having kept himself very fit with a view to helping people both mentally and physically.

Got round to watching 'The News of the World' the other night.

I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again some time soon.

More about the atmosphere, scenery and music than the fairly simple (true?) story line but Tom Hanks never disappoints.

Watched a Russell Crowe film called "Unhinged" the other night - excellent little film based around a simple terrifying concept. Crowe was utterly believable. Highly recommended.

The Fortunes of War is being repeated on BBC4. How I loved it first time round. In some ways I miss having to wait till the following week to see the next episode of favourite programmes.

Jim Al-Kalili's two-parter about the Beginning & End of the Universe is a great, head-splitting watch. On i-player for the next few weeks.

Currently re-watching Tin Star with oldest lad and youngest daughter every Tuesday evening.

Had forgotten how brilliant it is, and how much I love Tim Roth in the role of steamer/mentalist/bent cop Jack Worth.

Wow! That was a proper game of rugby just ended - well done Scotland, just squeaked it with a try too.

I was watched a lot of Rugby when I spent time living up there and they never played like that.

Anyway, currently I am watching The Boys on Prime. A sort of anti-Superhero series. Pretty gory but very good.

Also Modern Family, just started this one. Americans are great at Comedy for TV (The Office, Seinfeld) but they are terrible at comedy for film. Weird.

Dunno if it's been mentioned before, but Mrs Grass and myself started watching 'Slow Horses' the other night, and are absolutely hooked on it.

Gary Oldman is an utter legend.

Back