What are you watching

I didn’t realise how good an actor Tom Hiddleston is. Benedict Cumberbatch is in the next episode. What a cast!

Tolkien was on one of the BBC channels last night - 2019 film. Missed the beginning and not a fan of the books ( or films) but nothing else to watch so stuck with it. Hoult nice enough but can't really carry a film as main actor but fascinating story, the war scenes down well and Sir Derek in it which is always a plus. Worth a watch if not au fait with his story.

Henry V at the Globe - BBC having a bit of a Bard fest - this nicely done, some nice supporting performances and Jamie Parker, altho not Sir Ken, does a nice job as Harry leading his band of brothers.

Last edited:
Watched As You Like It last night with Helen Mirren. Don’t think I’ve ever appreciated what a great actress she is before: probably because she’s done so much tv work and been in wacky films ( eg The Chef etc etc). Great to see so many famous actors in this series of BBC Shakespeare productions: James Bolam was in last nights and Julie Walters pops up sometimes. How on earth do actors remember their lines in Shakespearean plays given that, to me it all sounds like gobbledegook? Or might it be that nobody notices if they do get it wrong anyway!

And agenda driven politicians would have you believe that the BBC is a worthless organisation. Looking on from abroad I (respectfully) suggest that with the NHS it is the one institution you should take to the streets to protect from tha Tory onslaught.

And agenda driven politicians would have you believe that the BBC is a worthless organisation. Looking on from abroad I (respectfully) suggest that with the NHS it is the one institution you should take to the streets to protect from tha Tory onslaught.

You are spot on there, the likes of Farage, Rees-Mogg etc. would love to see a national news channel totally controlled by government. In a one party state of course!

You are spot on there, the likes of Farage, Rees-Mogg etc. would love to see a national news channel totally controlled by government. In a one party state of course!

I suppose it would be “world beating” like everything else here is supposed to be (according to them :))

Farage is supposed to be going in the jungle. That would be highly entertaining.
Bound to p1ss orf all the right people!

Dear England, currently on stage at the Prince Edward theatre in Londonium, will be in cinemas on 25th January, once the west end run ends. Recorded at the National production, if it is on in a cinema near you, I urge you to go and see it. Don't be put off if not a football fan, it's about so much more and a joy to watch.

I was telling the people who have the Muppet at the mo on rehab how good it was etc and they told me their 10 year old son thought Sweet Caroline was the national anthem!

Excellent choice - the omen is probably my favourite horror film.

I have opted for a lesser known Wes Craven film called Don't Look Down. Far from his best work but a nice one from left field.

Realised that Pan’s Labyrinth was on catchup. Haven’t seen it since I saw it at the cinema which is good because I’d forgotten most of it. Sometimes the more I love a film the less likely I am to rewatch it: not sure why that is. But I’m glad I’d forgotten so much about it because I loved it just as much as I did first time round. Couldn’t remember what I’d seen recently that had been influenced by it and I remembered later that it was The English. Had forgotten how gory some of it is, though, although I remember at the time advising my daughter, who was pregnant at the time, not to watch it. She ignored me, of course (she always does). Currently watching Boat Story.

I’m a bit like that with musicals - I can’t go to see Kinky Boots because it’s my absolute favourite ( well, definitely top 3!!) film and I don’t want my love for it sullied by putting it on stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to cinema to see the Killers of the Flower Moon recently. Really loved it, despite some wrinkles. Bring a flask and a sandwich, it's 210 mins in length.

Last edited:
I wanted to see that and also Oppenheimer but was put off due to length and no takers to sit through a long film with me.

Flask and sandwiches sound good plan. I have in the past taken my largest handbag and proceeded to produce a bottle of wine plus glasses and various accompanying snacks. Never been challenged by cinema staff and as we often go middle day, there are usually only a couple of others there who look on enviously at our picnic.

Finally finished Billions,have just started the latest season of The Crown and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into Succession next week.

Back