What are you watching

Finally getting round to Braquo. Only two episodes in but loving it so far. The comparisons to The Shield are inevitable. The former is even more violent and relentless if anything. Glad they didn't make Walter the main man, that would be too spooky.

Finally getting round to Braquo. Only two episodes in but loving it so far. The comparisons to The Shield are inevitable. The former is even more violent and relentless if anything. Glad they didn't make Walter the main man, that would be too spooky.

How are you finding it so far?

Finished season 1 last night. Excellent series. It stands comparison with The Shield and The Wire and I can give it no higher praise than that. The French are way cooler than the Americans though so there was no curb on realistic extras like lots of gratuitous smoking.

I loved the fact that these were dirty cops you were pulling for and no matter what scheme they happened upon to solve their many problems it always just got them in deeper. That in particular was very reminiscent of The Shield. I shall have to hunt season 2 down pronto.

My 'must watch' TV series at the moment is 'Wartime Farm'. Brilliant stuff! My kind of watching.

I watched 'Prometheus' during the week. A half decent film if you're into the Alien dynasty, which I am, but massively over-hyped IMHO. 7/10

Scored a copy of Braquo season 2. I thought I recognised Caplan from somewhere, he was the male lead in Betty Blue. Classic film.

Been watching the ''new'' partridge absolutely diabolical very disappointing for one the best comedies to ever have been broadcast.

Just watched Broadchurch on dvd; much better because there were no adverts which must have been a pain when it was on originally. And also The Fall on Monday nights. Never watched anything before that makes me double check that all the doors are locked before I go to bed. Can't say I'm enjoying it but can't not watch it either. Olivia Colman and Gillian Anderson are always so 'themselves' in whatever role they play but it doesn't, somehow, detract from the performance. And Pauline Quirke was brilliant in Broadchurch. All the Scandinavian series seem to have had a knock on effect when it comes to women in British Drama [or did it all start with Helen Mirren anyway?].

Last edited:
Watched the Clinton series of documentaries back-to-back on PBS America last night.

Absolute class.

The Cup on Sky Movies Premier this week. Racing For Change must be responsible for the casting of Brendan Gleeson as D K Weld. The gut is unbecoming on Irelands' winningmost trainer. God be with the Murphys Stroke days when to play the role of horse trainer you had to be a budding James Bond! Ok movie otherwise.

Watched Behind the Candelabra - Michael Douglas / Matt Damon in the story of Liberace told from the perspective of his "chauffeur" Scot and set over a period of 5 years from 1977 - 1982. Pretty amazing performances by both.

More by luck than judgement flicked channels last night and the film 'Buck' was on. I'm sure it was recommended by someone on here ages ago because I made a note to watch out for it [even meant to buy the dvd]. Fascinating stuff seeing a horse whisperer at work, even more so when his character had developed from being taken from a violent father and placed with foster parents and becoming one of the gentlest people you could meet [nature nurture debate still ongoing then].

Watched Behind the Candelabra - Michael Douglas / Matt Damon in the story of Liberace told from the perspective of his "chauffeur" Scot and set over a period of 5 years from 1977 - 1982. Pretty amazing performances by both.

Saw it today. Have to agree, especially Douglas. He didnt overplay it and caught his frailities and his awareness of his frailities superbly. The script obviously played its part but its a terrific biopic on every level. Thoughtful and entertaining.

Much Ado about nothing is great updated shakespeare adaptation. I would recommend to anyone

Last edited:
How did I miss this?
I'm not sure if it was ever shown on terrestrial on our side of the Atlantic.

Only discovered it recently on Netflix. But I'm adicted to it.
A series called JUSTIFIED.
I think it is right up there with the Wire et al.
Deputy Marshall Raylan Givens is a law-enforcer of the old school; shoot first --questions later etc.
His beat is patrolling the Appalachian hillbilly criminal fraternity of neo-nazi Oxycodone suppliers and trafficers in Harlan County, Kentucky.
It is a violent show -- lots of "shooting in the face" stuff. But great authentic dialogue, and superb characterisation. (The excellent Walton Googins is prominent as a messed-up redneck).
I love it.
Anyone else come across this show?

A flavour of JUSTIFIED ...............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0cSj8eph50

I started watching that, then the dog trod on the remote so the telly flipped over to strawberry fields on bbc2 - I didn't notice so I've given up as totally confused!!

Back