What To Do Here - Davy Russell

Being pedantic, but Sportinglife weren't actually on top of it - all the Sporting Life stuff is drawn from PA - the Press Association - who filter stuff worldwide, and Sporting Life take their feed. It's pretty handy, it has to be said, because PA are generally on the ball with most things, and are especially good when it comes to filing racing updates, injuries, etc...

Yeah I understand that - but the RP did have reporters on the track yesterday - there was no excuse to leave that story up in that form for as long as they did.

I think we can take it from Lukes "Hmmmm" that Davy is being a little imaginative with the truth..............which may come as a shock......or not.. hmmmmm. :whistle:

I have a few thoughts of my own, but wouldn't judge having never met the man.

He's a good jockey and has won me quite a few quid in the last few years, so I won't be quibbling about his out-of-school habits, just curious.

Last edited:
As far as I know Russell does not go near the drink - I would be pretty surprised if anyone was to suggest otherwise.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you slightly Cantoris - yes, type 2 diabetes can be genetic, but it can also be brought on by unhealthy diets and/or being overweight. I didn't say that only overweight people get type 2 diabetes as that is simply not the case. I was saying that being overweight can cause the onset of type 2 diabetes, and many people are unaware of that risk. Why do you think that the large rise in cases of type 2 diabetes is directly proportional to the large rise of obesity in the population?

Well, I'll have to disagree with you slightly Cantoris - yes, type 2 diabetes can be genetic, but it can also be brought on by unhealthy diets and/or being overweight. I didn't say that only overweight people get type 2 diabetes as that is simply not the case. I was saying that being overweight can cause the onset of type 2 diabetes, and many people are unaware of that risk. Why do you think that the large rise in cases of type 2 diabetes is directly proportional to the large rise of obesity in the population?

Diabetes is genetic. It can skip a generation though but don't be fooled by that. And you're right, being overweight accelerates the issue. I only took issue with your cardiologist uncle who said you had nothing to worry about becasue you were petite. That's rubbish. It just means you have more time without meds or may never have to go on meds but the issue will still be there potentially, even if you are petite. So as a doctor he should have been more guarded in his view. As I said, my dad's a stick and he was diagnosed in his 50s. He also has haemochromotosis (I think that's it) which is too much iron in the blood. Another genetic one but I don't have it although one of my brothers does, the only one of four siblings to have it. That doesn't mean my children won't have it as I'm a carrier. Diabetes is similar.

Last edited:
As I said, diabetes can be genetic, it's not always the case. Prior to the recent diagnoses in the family, there was no known diabetes in the family. No offence but I'm likely to take my uncle's word over yours most days of the week! Anyway, I'm going to be in a wheelchair by the time I'm 60 so I'm sure diabetes won't make that much of a difference on top.

Prior to the recent diagnoses in the family, there was no known diabetes in the family. No offence but I'm likely to take my uncle's word over yours most days of the week!

None diagnosed diabetics anyway. There were a lot of folk suffering accelerated deaths over the years and it was put down to kidney trouble when the issue was diabetes. Medical science has come a long way in the last twenty years. And I don't take offence at all, I forgive him :p

Last edited:
Didn't a lot of people eg Aborigines, Native Americans etc start to get diabetes when they began to eat a more Western diet and thus become more prone to weight gain? And isn't the Hay diet, when you never eat carbohydrate and protein together, a way of limiting the possibility of developing it?

Last edited:
(I know we're well off-topic here! - but if we were eating cereal crops, spuds, etc., many centuries ago, along with meats and fish, then why wasn't diabetes as common then as it seems to be now? Is it sugar that's mucked up our systems?)

Well Aborigines were ruined by drink because they couldn't handle it genetically.

I'm reading a book on "Reversing Diabetes" which suggests that a vegetarian diet is the way to go and that it is fat that causes the problems. The way they describe it, there are pipes on the outside of a blood cell which is how the refined sugars get into the cell. Insulin coats the inside of the pipes to allow easy movement of the sugars. Fat clogs these pipes so irrespective of how much insulin you produce, the fat has already clogged the pipes. Those pipes that aren't clogged are then dependent on insulin to help the process of sugar absorption. So they say if you reduce the fat it eventually woks out of the pipes and allows more sugars to get in, even without the requirement of insulin. They say even good fats are bad for you. The likes of salmon which is seen to have good fat, is bad in their mind. It's an interesting concept and their studies prove that you can come off meds by going on a veggie diet. Of course a veggie diet needs to be carefully controlled for other reasons.

Kri, medical science alone is better now and is detecting the issue more. At one point, no-one knew what cancer was so what happened when those people died? What did the docs say? It is similar now. Even the types of meds available now are so much better than before. It was always there, it just wasn't diagnosed and the increased fatty diet is increasing the amount of diabetics.

Yes, I guess you're right, Cantoris - as a kid I used to wonder what all those 'wasting diseases' were that people died of in old-fashioned novels. Now we know that they were cancers.

Okay, about fats: how come carnivorous animals don't get diabetes if fats are bad? If you live on a diet of oily fish, like dolphins and seabirds, how come they manage to eat only this (no veg, no cereal, no fruits) without developing the condition? As a species we've quite naturally eaten hunted animals and fish without any problems.

The fats are not processed fats though and animals such as cats and dogs are primarily carnivores and they also have a completely different growth rate and average length of life to humans. But also humans have extended their life span over the past 8,000 years. 40 would have been positively ancient for Bronze Age man - often still referred to as 'young' by old folk now!

There's a strong body of scientific belief that the amount of processed fat we eat has a direct correlation to certain types of cancer - ie fats in biscuits, pies, cakes sweets and many ready made meals.

My father developed type 2 diabetes and my sister also has it. I get checked regularly now too, so far, so good but I need to lose some weight!

That's presumably domesticated cats and dogs? Not lions, tigers, wolves, the African wild dog, etc.? Is it because there's little actual fat in most wild prey, while well-fed domestic cattle and pigs, most of which goes to provide our pet dogs and cats their meals, is much fatter? Wild game is usually pretty lean by comparison, so perhaps that's where we're going wonky - we're breeding animals with a fairly high fat content. Be interesting to know if warthogs, for example, contain anywhere near the amount of fat of a Gloucestershire Old Spot? I suspect not, with their highly active lifestyle and their low protein diet.

Fascinating where all of this could go...

As a species we've quite naturally eaten hunted animals and fish without any problems.

I note your use of the word "hunted" as opposed to going down to the supermarket and buying it. Hunting is a form of physical exercise and I doubt there were too many fatties in the Bronze Age!!

Each species develops differently. Horses get swamp fever, humans don't. Go figure. Look at a shark and see how advanced it's body is compared to our own in certain areas. But we have higher brain function which is our "gift" supposedly!! And similarly with how our body processes food.

So a little exercise, hunting, would offset the very limited diet of earlier humans? Bearing in mind that much of it would be trapping in a very basic way, I still see them as gorging themselves on animals and fish and living well enough to procreate sufficiently to advance the species. If diabetes has been around 'forever', like cancers, then perhaps it's not really anything to do with how well we eat or not - we overcame vastly carnivorous diets prior to learning how to grow cereals and stay in one place, thus farming cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, and from that onto dairy produce. If diabetes might've been around in any society at any time in the past, then it's presumably because there are millions more people today that the ratio seems so high, plus the absence of any diagnoses to provide written records in the past. It sounds like it's always been with us, just like assorted delights like boils, arthritis, gum disease, blindness, and constipation. In other words, it's not really a 'modern' curse at all.

Back