Which Way De Solzen

I take it back, looking at it again it looked to me as though there was something wrong with the fav. Looked to be hurting to my eye.

Thomas and Thornton got the fractions wrong. Dont know how to calculate stamina but LD was 3l clear at the line after passing him 50 yards before.He was very tired at the end of a 2m4f race, something that you wouldnt really expect from a world hurdle winner, I suppose.

Alan King will be pleased with the run.

Lough Derg has ran many times this season and has run well again today, very well. My Way De Solzen has had 2 runs, of which he has been below par in, especially the King George.

I think with this run under his belt, he will come on for the run and well be better next time out.

Nice to see the horse back, he wasn't beaten by far, but just looked to have nothing left in terms of stamina at the end of the race. It is something the yard can work upon, back home.

I think connections will be pleased with the run.

Why the World Hurdle though? It's a step back....jumping fences was not his problem. Just something not right with the horse. Ryanair should be his goal.

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 24 2008, 05:31 PM
Why the World Hurdle though? It's a step back....jumping fences was not his problem. Just something not right with the horse. Ryanair should be his goal.
Agree . When a stayers hurdle winner comes to a grinding halt as he has this year and most notably today - it looks like there must be a problem . He was punch drunk after the last .

Ryanair or even QMCC !

The Racing Post man clearly has another view on things... :rolleyes:

"My Way De Solzen went to Fontwell with enormous doubts surrounding him, but his performance proved that he is very much a horse with a future. Having run inexplicably badly in the King George VI Chase, connections had given up on the idea of running him in the Gold Cup, but they will now run him in the World Hurdle with their hopes very much reinvigorated. While the fact that he was receiving 8lb from Lough Derg highlightsthat this was not one of his best displays, it was tremendously encouraging as the eight-year-old was always up with the pace and will clearly come on significantly for the run. He ran around under pressure like a tired horse, which he was, but that was only through a lack of peak fitness, and if he goes to Cheltenham at his best he will be a major challenger to Inglis Drever. Indeed, he surely goes there as the biggest danger to the reigning champion, which means that the decision of bookmakers to lengthen his odds for a race he won just two years ago was astonishing. A selection of massive odds were quoted after the race, and the 20-1 offered by Ladbrokes (who previously went 10-1) could well represent some of the best value to be had at this year’s Festival."

Alan King has always seen the horse as a 3-miler, which would explain the reason why he is still going for the World Hurdle.

Will be interesting to see Blazing Bailey and My Way De Solzen go head to head in the same race.

My Way De Solzen will come on for the race and i think with a bit more fitness work at home, he will go well in the World Hurdle.

He has decent speed too which will be useful at the latter stages of the race.

Originally posted by Warbler@Dec 29 2007, 01:01 PM
The gap from the fourth last to the post is 903.19 yards, which is the point where one feels MWDS was running on empty and capable of being passed.

The gap from the third last to the post is 641.79 yards, which is the point where Exotic did pass him in the jump.

641.79 /212 = 3.02 Furlongs

In a 24 furlong race, this does point to him being passed at about 21F and being vulnerable from 19.75F's if the fourth last is used, in other words he might very well be on his limit at about this point unless he's been sheltered by a sympathetic pace.

I will be interested to see the RPR and TS for the race. If they're competitive, then it serves up another example of the horse being beaten at a mid distance off a quick pace.

I still can't escape from the feeling that 20-21F off a true pace is pretty well on his operational limit, and that King has got his 2 mile chasers the wrong way round. Either that or let their respective owners both run in the Champion Chase and to the winner the laurels

Originally posted by Galileo@Feb 24 2008, 05:58 PM
The Racing Post man clearly has another view on things... :rolleyes:

"My Way De Solzen went to Fontwell with enormous doubts surrounding him, but his performance proved that he is very much a horse with a future. Having run inexplicably badly in the King George VI Chase, connections had given up on the idea of running him in the Gold Cup, but they will now run him in the World Hurdle with their hopes very much reinvigorated. While the fact that he was receiving 8lb from Lough Derg highlightsthat this was not one of his best displays, it was tremendously encouraging as the eight-year-old was always up with the pace and will clearly come on significantly for the run. He ran around under pressure like a tired horse, which he was, but that was only through a lack of peak fitness, and if he goes to Cheltenham at his best he will be a major challenger to Inglis Drever. Indeed, he surely goes there as the biggest danger to the reigning champion, which means that the decision of bookmakers to lengthen his odds for a race he won just two years ago was astonishing. A selection of massive odds were quoted after the race, and the 20-1 offered by Ladbrokes (who previously went 10-1) could well represent some of the best value to be had at this year’s Festival."
He looked much more like there was problem rather than blew up to me . That is a bizarre write up.

Originally posted by Garney@Feb 24 2008, 07:12 PM
Is there any way of finding out if it was Lee Mottershed or not?
Purchase a copy of the Racing Post in the morning? I understand is costs in the region of £1.50 - value in my book!

Afraid not, Useful. The analysts do not get credited, but thanks for the advice. Wish it was useful.

From the race report in the Raging Boast:

"We are back on track," said King. "That was his first proper race of the season, and I will be disappointed if he doesn't come on for it - it will definitely have blown away the cobwebs."

Full report here, with a lovely pic of a thrilled Tom Scu and LD:

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/news.sd?psection=racingpost.co.uk&page=News&category=Reports&story_uid=960766

I wonder with the Howard Johnston yard under such a cloud, if AK isn't making a shrewd decision? It would be interesting to hear the thinking behind it, inc what input the owners have had, but AK keeps his cards close to his chest shrug::

Oh come come now Warbler :suspect: who slagged you?

A few of us, myself included, wondered whether there might be other explanations of a physical nature for MWDS's poor runs this season; but everyone was fascinated by your analyses.

I for one was very much looking forward to your take on today's race :what:
Aren't we going to get it? Boo!

Will come one for that. hardly the best track for a horse of his size, he probably was fed up running figure of 8´s :P

Would love to see him taking the Stayers again, but does certainly need to improve and some luck in running. Stranger things have happend though.

Back