Willie Mullins

Galileo - whilst Mikael was running in nice enough races (for their grade) he was never going to be a top horse in France, beaten in a race in which River Liane was 2nd in on his debut (according to the RP), he was then 2nd to a JP Senechal owned horse currently plying his trade in high value handicaps, well beat by Khayrabad (Mulryan owned horse) and then 2nd to a decent enough 4yo in a chase. By decent I mean he's more than capable of winning listed chases IMHO and ran 4th (not beaten far) to one of the top three or four chasers of their age group last time out. That was 30/5/08 and the last time he ran in France.

Shakervilz went for 32k at Deauville sold to Highflyer Bloodstock (David Minton's mob) in 2004, Mullins bought him for a shade over double that in 2006.

Quel Esprit is another Highflyer purchase in France (this time at Goffs), relatively cheaply and he's been entered up in auctions twice since, sold once and not sold last time at the back end of last year.

The other ex-French Mullins horse I like is Quevega, beaten just a few lengths by Hurricane Fly and Grivette last year but unseen this. She'd been running in 10-12f French Bumpers prior to moving to Ireland.

The Hurricane Fly form took a boost yesterday when Grivette captured a listed hurdle at Cagnes-Sur-Mer in her first start in an open hurdle.

Just noticed that Hurricane Fly has been given an AIG entry. Surely no chance that the Ballymore figures in plans now, and he will stay at 2m.

Having taken up to 55 about HF in the Champion Hurdle, I'm nicely covered in that race too, though my BF balance tells me that I want him to run in the novice come March.

Given the astonishing record of Willie's bumper horses at the very highest level I would suggest that both Willie and Patrick have a good idea what they are doing when they decide race tactics.

Yes Patrick gets the opportunity to ride very good horses, but that by no means takes away from his very obvious talent.

Teaching them to see out their races properly at such an early stage must also be a good education to the horses when it comes to seeing out races in the Championship bumpers. Many horses with impeccable records from other stables arrive at the biggest races at the end of the season only to get run off their feet, not see the race at out at championship pace or simply don't cope with the hurly burly of such races. Not something that can often be levelled at Willie's horses.

That was very impressive wasn't it? Not a bother on him

Regarding Patrick, how old is he? I noticed last weekend in Irleand that he's very tall already - I hope he's got no more growing to do, poor lad, or he'll have terrible trouble with his weight in future

Impressive indeed. Nice to see Donna's Palm seemingly run his race.

Paddy Mullins is 19, Headstrong. He's not under any illusions about his weight either - though I've no doubt he'll remain part of the operation anyway after he leaves uni...

Cheers TS, I suppose he's just riding as an amateur then with no thought to making it his career - just as well! He's very talented; and if he wants to take over the training in time, then his experience will stand him in good stead

That was very impressive wasn't it? Not a bother on him

Regarding Patrick, how old is he? I noticed last weekend in Irleand that he's very tall already - I hope he's got no more growing to do, poor lad, or he'll have terrible trouble with his weight in future

I thought that was very impressive, he looks to have a powerfull cruising speed and can kick in another gear if the jockey needs, definatley a smart animal.

Anyone take exception to the ridiculous hold up ride given to Ballytrim (again) today?

Well supported in the market but that as a mickey take - didn't make his move anywhere near soon enough.

Yes me - and yes that is my pocket talking! And I can say that of a few more today, which was another case of 'seconditits' - around 7 of them in fact. Boo!

Interesting to hear Mullins say once again that Mikael D'Haguenet might not go to Cheltenham due to ground concerns - only to mention he would have no qualms bringing him to Punchestown instead!

Ballytrim is a boat.

Heard Mullins say that last years ground would have been fine for Mikael and that this year's weather means it'll be softer than that (in all probability) on ATR. Fingers crossed.

If that's the case there's no point giving the rest of the field a twenty length start.

Seemed to me that the going wasn`t the only concern for Mikael at Chelt in Willie Mullins interview. Seemed as if he might prefer to wait for Punchestown anyway. If he goes to Chelt he probably has to compete with one of the other stable stars and that would probably be in the Ballymore. But he is some horse and it was exhilerating to watch him.

Surely the main concern is that he will need a flatter track due to his knee action

This is what Willie was implying in his interview after the race IMO. Whatever,he is going to be a star of the future. Wouldn`t we all like to have him.

Anyone take exception to the ridiculous hold up ride given to Ballytrim (again) today?

Well supported in the market but that as a mickey take - didn't make his move anywhere near soon enough.

There is no masterplan with Ballytrim.He has limited ability and it will be a bad race that he wins.

Agreed - I was only joshing, I doubt that the horse would have been placed in that field the way he ran, no matter who had ridden him or how. He looked better on paper than he did on the track! That's the trouble with backing in lesser irish races - we over here don't have enough familiarity with the opposition. I just carried away when I'm sitting on the sofa and a race is on.... esp on a Saturday for some reason!

Mikael is very nice, it will be interesting to watch how Willie campaigns him

After today's bumper

he was a bit green in front but he did what he was asked. He shows a fair bit of toe at home and the second horse looked like a good horse so that was a fair performance. I have never had a team like I have at the moment."

He's not exaggerating. Today's was the 30th bumper he has won this season, and Sicilian was his 27th bumper winner. Not even Aidan O'Brien dominates juvenile races to that extent.

But success to this degree will bring pressures of its own. People will be keeping a close eye on how these horses progress and there could be problems keeping owners happy that their own prodigy bumper winner is receiving the attention and priority that it deserves. O'Brien only has one or two owners to keep happy but the Mullins stable has a very diverse list of owners and no dominant patron.

A nice set of problems to have, I should add.

Last edited:
Back