Willie Mullins

I just don't think it makes sense. Why keep Quevega going another year only to throw a big danger in her way. Mullins would probably end up having 1st and 2nd. Doesn't make sense. While Ricci is clearly d more powerful owner, I imagine its a case of In Willie We Trust and he'll ultimately make d decision.

World Hurdle is an option, Champion Hurdle is an option, or missing Cheltenham is an option. It could be a decision a week before or d week of cheltenham, ground dependant. I just personally don't think the mares is an option.

Obviously it's so far away, a hell of a lot can change in d meantime. But for me, if Quevega is fit, unless Hurricane Fly is showing the biggest sparkle of his career and a strong World Hurdle candidate pops his head up from the yard, I don't think they'll take on Quevega with Annie Power.

I find it very hard to see Quevega face a big challenge from a few boxes down the yard.

Not sure what type of relationship Ricci and Mullins have, but it is not difficult to imagine Mullins persuading Ricci that AP might be better going for another race. Of course, if anything happens to Quevega, AP will almost certainly go for the mares' hurdle.

Very much doubt Ricci will want to go for the Mares' race. He strikes me as a man who likes a cut at the big pot and that's the Champion Hurdle. He said after Annie Power won on Saturday that they were hoping to avoid geldings until March but it's simply not possible, so that sounds as if the Champion Hurdle is the target.

Quevega has had five years in charge of the Mares race. If there's one to topple her now, even from her own yard, then so be it.

I don't think Annie Power's good enough yet to win either the Champion or World Hurdles. Although I admit further improvement is likely, as things stand she doesn't jump well enough for either of those races and 2m4f could easily be her best trip anyway.

Quevega has had five years in charge of the Mares race. If there's one to topple her now, even from her own yard, then so be it.

I don't think Annie Power's good enough yet to win either the Champion or World Hurdles. Although I admit further improvement is likely, as things stand she doesn't jump well enough for either of those races and 2m4f could easily be her best trip anyway.

Exactly. If she jumps like the last day she wins nothing at the festival.

Rubi Ball's price has been dragged out to 8/11 on Betfair after getting matched for good money at 2/5 and less earlier. Looks like someone is trying to fool the books into offering 1/2 or better in the morning.

From the Sporting Life:

The Irish champion trainer claims the latter will be "entered in everything" after she extended her unbeaten record to eight races by taking the noteworthy scalp of Zarkandar in the Coral Hurdle at Ascot on Saturday.
Both horses feature prominently in the Champion Hurdle ante-post betting, but Mullins told the Guardian: "We're not trying to take on Hurricane Fly at the moment.
"She (Annie Power) will be entered in everything from two miles to three miles but he (Hurricane Fly) will get first choice in all those races.
"We'll try and keep them apart."
Of Hurricane Fly, Mullins said: "I've been very happy with him the last couple of mornings."

I've never understood how trainers can keep their horses apart when they are in different ownership.

Why do owners put up with it? It's for nobody's benefit but the trainer - if I was Ricci I'd remind Mullins who was paying the bills and tell him to map out the best programme for my horse, without reference to HF, Q or anything else.

If Mullins enters HF and Annie Power in d same race and they're 1st and 2nd, the owner of d 2nd horse will be asking why did u enter d other horse, or cud we not have gone for another race and taken home the big money.

If there were sufficient options such that they could both go for separate races of equal prestige and prize money, yes. Or if AP genuinely has no chance of beating HF, but that doesn't look the case to me.

A sporting owner with the right horse would want to take on the best and have a shot at the big prize. It's better for Mullins to win two races rather than have a 1-2 in one race. Essentially AP will be denied the opportunities she would otherwise have had if HF was with a different trainer.

Nothing wrong with it if all parties are happy, but if AP was mine I would not be happy to avoid HF - I'd want to run against him and beat him, an eventuality the form book shows is far from impossible.

Ricci's no daw. He obviously believes Mullins strategy is the right way to go. Consider this then, AP and HF go for d same race and have a ding dong battle subsequently meaning both are put on d easy list for some time. Mullins looks like some clown with 2 disgruntled owners.

Ultimately I suppose Mullins is The Man right now, winning everything he points a horse at. If he says the best thing is to keep them apart, Ricci seems to be comfortable with that. I would be too. AP hardly looked bomb proof over hurdles d last day, and why not get in 1 or 2 more races away from HF and take him on at Cheltenham should she improve in the meantime.

The D's are too much effort yeah. I'm on an iPhone, not a keyboard.

Fair point Hezz. I think so long as they don't duck the Cheltenham clash it's probably fine. I'd still want to take him on earlier though - if you get beat out of site you have the option of the mare's race.

There are worse examples in other yards of keeping horses apart for the trainer's benefit though.

Absolutely, Henderson being painful!! I could understand a few owners going rasher about his campaigning.

Last edited:
I've never understood how trainers can keep their horses apart when they are in different ownership.

Why do owners put up with it? It's for nobody's benefit but the trainer - if I was Ricci I'd remind Mullins who was paying the bills and tell him to map out the best programme for my horse, without reference to HF, Q or anything else.

Why would you want to be constantly 2nd?

HF will retire after this season. I like Annie a lot but I dont see her in the first 3 come CH day. I'd aim her at the World Hurdle.

Back