World Cup Group C

Hamm

At the Start
Hardly the most inspiring group, to be fair.

In the initial matches, Columbia at 10/11 and Ivory Coast at 7/4 appeal. The former should win this group relatively comfortably, the latter may eke out the needed level to see of Japan if Yaya is fit.

Anyone with any strong opinions on this group?

Poor Group, I'l be involved in -2.5 goals in each Greek game. Expect Columbia and Ivory Coast to go through. I have had a few interesting bets in the competition so far and Ivory Coast finishing as the top African team at 6/4 seems to be very good value.

Poor Group, I'l be involved in -2.5 goals in each Greek game. Expect Columbia and Ivory Coast to go through. I have had a few interesting bets in the competition so far and Ivory Coast finishing as the top African team at 6/4 seems to be very good value.

I can't imagine the unders market would be great prices for Greece games?

Colombia v Greece - Booking odds 45pts & over 2.1 betfair

USA Referee Mark Geiger has averaged 4 yellow cards in WC qualifiers
Colombia have average 4 yellows in WCQ
Greece have averaged 3 yellows in WCQ

10pts a yellow - 25pts red - max 35pts a player

I think it should be odds-on - so a value bet

This might be wrong but I can't help thinking an African team with quality will thrive in this World Cup given the conditions and I like Ivory Coast in this relatively weak group. Rather that punting them at 7/2 though I've backed them to exit in the quarters at 8s. They are paired with England's group and I suspect they can give whomever they play in the round of 16 a good game.

Fancy Ivory Coast to be too powerful for Japan here. 7/4 a bet for me.
Also backed them HT/FT & YaYa FGS 7/1 and MOTM 4/1....

All in on Ivory Coast

I'm not convinced any African team has the mental strength to go all the way. I think if any get to the semis they'll have done very well.

Yaya Toure MOTM....... 4/1. Just like Slim said, Fish in a Barrel !!

The match didn't quite go as I predicted but I'll take it...... Nice little profit.

Ivory Coast should get out of that group now, But I tend to agree DO, semi finals, even 1/4 finals is as far as I expect any of the African teams to go.

Yes and could say more... Tempted to have a right dig after recent stuff too

The trouble with assumptions about "African teams" is that after they burst on the scene (sort of) everyone assumed straight line progression. Doesn't work like that. Peles daft baseless prediction didnt help either

There is also the belief that all Africans are the same. Ones I know would fall about at that one..

When you look at who the players in each team play for and at what level, probably find they achieve no more or less than anyone else

Last edited:
Perhaps my remark wasn't as well worded as intended.

I don't think any of the African teams have the mental strength to go all the way. How's that?

There are plenty of other teams I could make the same remark about but the discussion was about Ivory Coast.

Perhaps my remark wasn't as well worded as intended.

I don't think any of the African teams have the mental strength to go all the way. How's that?

There are plenty of other teams I could make the same remark about but the discussion was about Ivory Coast.

Quite. A discussion about IC, then a generalisation about "the African teams".

What is your basis for thinking Algeria lack mental strength?

Columbia v Ivory Coast DRAW 5/2 - Nailed on!

I think it will follow a similar pattern to the Brazil v Mexico game the other night with both teams having won their first game in the group playing it a little tighter and safer.
I'm having a decent bet on the 5/2 and a smaller pop at a correct score of 1-1 @ 13/2.

Back