World Cup Group D

By how much though?

Don't have to put a stat to it. Just know that it is

I'm pretty sure that I saw a piece that ts the lowest ever at the moment. But you just know

If it really has to be justified, then look at struggling middling teams now compared with then.

I'll give you that was a good team (my outlier) but we'll never know. What Euro was it when Denmark backed in because a team got rousted for some sort of impropriety and then they went on and won the whole thing. You just never know except of course that England won't be winning the WC this year.

Just teasing. :)

Euro 92
Think it was something to do with the former Yugoslavia crumbling and letting the Danes into the tournament.

It's always good to not go to extremes, in sport most teams will fail.

But Clive, tell me this - do you think any player in the English team would have looked like Suarez did when he scored or on the bench afterwards? Do you think it means as much to them?

For example, Hart tells us often how much it means to him but when he had his moment he was afraid of getting hit in the face. Suarez looked like he would have put his face into a cement mixer to get a result.

Look at the effort and desire from Chile and Costa Rica. Pure desire.

Danny Welbeck may run but I've never seen him run like those teams.

You are kidding surely? You really judge "how much it means to them" by how they play up to the camera?

Denis law used to barely celebrate his goals years back . Think he want committed?

You are kidding surely? You really judge "how much it means to them" by how they play up to the camera?
No playing to the camera by Suarez, I am certain.
What I saw was pure unadulterated joy both onfield and when he was sat on the bench.

U

Whatever but its naive in the extreme to assume that it doesn't "mean" the same to less demonstrative players.

You get two salesmen at work and one pumps his fists when he gets an order and the other shakes hands and quietly reflects. And?

Nobody here has the slightest idea of whether wellbeck would be any less or more thrilled than Suarez to have scored. Not even a clue.

Last edited:
Whatever but its naive in the extreme to assume that it doesn't "mean" the same to less demonstrative players.

You get two salesmen at work and one pumps his fists when he gets an order and the other shakes hands and quietly reflects. And?

Nobody here has the slightest idea of whether wellbeck would be any less or more thrilled than Suarez to have scored. Not even a clue.

My point was partly about Joe Hart. All talk about how much it meant.

When it came to it he was afraid of a ball in the face.

Nothing to do with being demonstrative.

No pressure on so I think they'll leather Costa Rica.

At this level it's about embracing playing for your country instead of fearing it. The reason we are heading home is that most England players are in the latter camp. We need more Tim Cahill's, players who are in the former grouping and who play as well for their country as they do for their club.

At this level it's about embracing playing for your country instead of fearing it. The reason we are heading home is that most England players are in the latter camp. We need more Tim Cahill's, players who are in the former grouping and who play as well for their country as they do for their club.
I'd agree with that with the small rider that they should also have a couple of brain cells and avoid being suspended from what would have been their last match at a World Cup.
I wouldn't be betting on the England game until I saw the teamsheet.

Yes, my gut instinct is that England will feel less pressurised but Hodgson will want to see some positives for the future. I'm not sure Rooney-Hart as captain and vice-captain will work. They don't strike me as leaders. Having said that, the importance of the captaincy is a very British thing. It's more a figurehead appointment in other countries. But that's for the future anyway.

As for Tuesday's games, a draw will suit both Costa Rica and Italy. We know Italy can play for one if they have to but they're more likely to work for a lead and then hold on to it, saving something for the next stage. They probably have more in the way of players that can change games but Uruguay have to win and will be all out to do so. They will need to be very well disciplined to avoid being sucker punched, something I imagine will be very much part of Italy's game plan: encourage Uruguay on to them and break at pace. Gordon Strachan told us how to reduce the impact of Pirlo the other night. It will be interesting to see if Poyet has passed on the info!

England-Costa Rica is trickier altogether. CR will be happier playing the runner-up from C and can only lose the top spot if they lose and either Uruguay or Italy win by a couple of goals. I can see CR trying to play a more containing match but am not sure if they are used to that, which would make them vulnerable. England obviously have only further pride to lose and will want to show the world they are better than their results suggest (which they are) but too gung-ho an approach will leave them vulnerable too. Am I right in thinking if Greece beat Ivory Coast they will be ahead of them regardless of goal difference? If that's the case I half-expect Greece to be really up for the match and I wonder how IC might react to that. Japan have to go for the win to be in with a chance of second and Columbia might want to save themselves a bit and hope IC don't get any more than a draw.

Either way, I think I'm going to have to find a way of getting two tellies into one room!

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking if Greece beat Ivory Coast they will be ahead of them regardless of goal difference?

No, you are not right (besides if the beat IC they have one point more)
The Fifa Regulation states:
The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:
a)
greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b)
goal difference in all group matches;
c)
greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their
rankings shall be determined as follows:
d)
greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the
teams concerned;
e)
goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams
concerned;
f)
greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams
concerned;
g)
drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee

Last edited:
Just seen the Hodgson press conference. "Going down the right path" and all the usual crap. Thank god we sacked him

How do England fans feel about Gerrard and Lampard considering their international future?

My own view is if you are good enough the biggest honour (maybe not financial reward) is to represent your country. You don't decide if you play or not. If the manager calls you up you go. If he doesn't too bad. If you really want to play you go all out to impress at club level.

I was quite annoyed when Kris Commons 'retired' from international football. He's recognised in the international scene as a player with on-field intelligence. His decision, though, was a big bonus for Celtic as his club form has never been better and he said his decision was for the good of his club career (in terms of extending it as long as possible) and staying closer to his family, not being away from them for so many long periods. When he put it like that it made me think again. It seems to have made him happier and that has had a positive knock-on for him, his team and his family.

Spot on

Comments about "commitment" are wide of mark and a bit naive. They try but are not confident. And in fairness there's a lot of inexperience there

Rubbish

It hardly refers to the players that were there does it? You really think that rooney or gerrard should be tarred with some brush as some shirker at spurs

Why not?
The 2 players you mention have been shite.
I remember about 3 years ago, I got talking to a current member of the England squad and he said he hated the England squad get togethers.

Last edited:
gerrard could have called time on his england career at any time in last couple of years and no one would have held it against him. he didnt

you have no right to question his commitment.

and you talked to one member and of course hes a spokesman for them all? they are all the same are they?

Last edited:
Back