World Cup Group D

I can question what I like thank you very much Clive.

I've got eyes and I can see that they don't give a toss about playing for their country, Jesus, they can't even sing their own anthem.

The skipper assisted both Uruguay goals the other night, after his pathetic attempt at a tackle leading up to the first goal I'd have expected a reaction from him, you know to lead by example, and what happened? Zip, nothing.

Good team selection for game against Costa Rica?

Rather surprised he has made so many changes but fair enough to give everyone a chance to play in the World Cup.

Would it be the end of the world if England ended up with "nul points"?

Gotta play their best 11. It might be a dead rubber but I would imagine they'd much rather play Ivory Coast or outside chance Greece than Colombia. Winning the group has to be the priority.

I'm quite unsure of what to do .................
I backed one team only in the Outright Winner market before tournament start. Yep, Costa Rica @ 999/1
If you, would you cash out now for an approx 2,000 % profit on stake, or let the bet ride? Will they drop in odds if a win tonight? I don't think so. And if they did win, is there really any realistic chance of them progressing any further in the comp?

Okay, it's only a pin-money stake -- just €2 -- but I look at it as losing €45 by not cashing out at current price.

What would you do?

Last edited:
I would see what happens today.

Best case scenario is winning the group and then they would probably face Ivory Coast. Although there is a chance Colombia could tank in an effort to finish runner up.

Either way I would ride it out and see who their next opponents are. Ivory Coast would be a winnable game.

It depends if you would be annoyed at losing the 45 bucks?

Realistically, they are not going to win it, and it wasn't for that you backed them (I assume). Hence, you've won your bet if you like, and I would cash out.

The only thing is - if they top the group (1/8), then they will most likely play Ivory Coast or Greece. I would have them favourite for that, and hence they could easily get to the quarter finals. If they do, you could cash out before then (do would probably be tempted to leave it run).

Cheers, and thanks.
So, two opposing views from two. :)
(That kind of sums up the dichotomy in my own head).

I know that I am by nature hugely over-cautious in my betting/trading, and this time I don't want to repeat an incident of last September when I blew a truly life-changing amount of money by "getting out" too early. (This current dilemma about Costa Rica comes nowhere near to that!).

So for the moment Hamm, I've been almost persuaded by Euro's position over your own. Stick or Twist -- probably now will stick for the time being. :)
Thanks again for the advice.

I have had a pretty decent bet on Italy tonight in the draw no bet market. At an average of 9/10 ,I cant resist. Uruguay are very reliant on Suarez and I believe that threat will be neutralised by the Italians, if so Uruguay are a **** poor team and as they must chase the win they will be subject to the Italians on the break. I find it hard to call the England game and thus giving it a wide berth tonight,arm twisted would bet on the draw.

Maybe the way to go is Costa Rica +1 at around 1.7? Can you really see England winning by 2 or more?
But is that price just for England to win by exactly 2 goals -- and not more?
Any other result would see you losing, no?

No, it's the Asian handicap - England win by 1 you get your money back. And better result and you win. England win by 2 or more you lose.

Costa Rica will be busting a gut to win no matter what team they put out. Draw in that game, but I am watching the Italy v uruguay game for obvious reasons.

Italy are one bunch of time wasting, cheating bastards. There hasn't been 30 seconds of play in the first half without an Italian rolling around the floor. Chiellini is the biggest culprit. Rolling around holding face twice when replays showed nothing wrong with him.

Back