World Hurdle 2015

He has lots of time for their horses though.
At the end of the day it is horses win races.
Ricci with up to 60 top horses surely will have an opinion now and not be afraid to express it.
The Glens Melody people are patrons of WPM for longer than Ricci so must be considered also especially if Ricci prefers the Stayers for Annie Power.

It's a good point, Edge.....Glen's Melody would have a huge chance in Annie's absence, and the Stayers is one of the few big hurdles races at the Festival that Mullins doesn't have by the bollocks already.

Last edited:
True but I would think it's not about that with Mullins.

I'd bet if you asked the man which race he'd like to win between the World Hurdle and the mares he'd say both but plumb for the mares

I reckon Annie Power is the new Quevega in his mind and he being a sentimental old fool wants to dominate the race with her for the next few years.

Like Quevega shes conspicuous by her absence but she will 100% run in the mares or I'm Bruce Lee.

There's only two bookies significantly bigger and it's no coincidence that they're both not NRNB. The same also applies for Betfair.
I think you are over-valuing the NRNB aspect of this.
Powers are higher on two of the three market leaders -- Zarkandar and Rock On Ruby -- than all the other books, including those who are still not NRNB for the race.
However, they are the shortest on Annie -- and substantially shorter in some cases. The most recent I see is that Annie is now clear fav with Powers for the Stayers.

I'm just saying that Powers does not seem to be keen on attracting action for Annie in the World Hurdle. I'm happy to lay Annie for the time being in the Mares at odds-on ........... with the option of backing back on the day if a declared runner, or hitting a home run with winning the Lay if Paddy's odds are correctly indicative of her being a non-runner.

Last edited:
I'm not over valuing it. Zarkandar & ROR are definitely running in this so it's a lot less risk to go biggest price on those two. It's good business sense to go shortest price on Annie Power NRNB. There's absolutely no value in taking cash on her for the WH. If she doesn't run you're refunding but if she does you're f*cked because everyone's backed her with you.

I'm not over valuing it. Zarkandar & ROR are definitely running in this so it's a lot less risk to go biggest price on those two. It's good business sense to go shortest price on Annie Power NRNB. There's absolutely no value in taking cash on her for the WH. If she doesn't run you're refunding but if she does you're f*cked because everyone's backed her with you.
Jaysus, mate, I apologise, but none of that makes sense to me.
"If she doesn't run you're refunding but if she does you're f*cked because everyone's backed her with you". Why would "everyone have backed her" when the price was the shortest in the village?".
"Zarkandar & ROR are definitely running in this so it's a lot less risk to go biggest price on those two". So Paddy lessens his risk on these two by going highest price about them? :blink:

No, maybe I didn't explain it properly.

They're shortest price NRNB because they don't want to take any bets on her, not because they've heard anything. Whatever firm is the biggest price NRNB on Annie Power will be taking all the bets on her right now, so if she does run they're in a terrible position because she'll be a damn site shorter than 5's if she is confirmed for the WH. If she doesn't then they refund all bets. That's a no win situation as far as Paddy Power are concerned, hence why they're shortest price.

TBH their prices for ROR and Zarkandar are probably more to do with balancing their book. They are pretty certain to run so they can just treat those two like it's a normal market.

Go check what prices other animals are in the AP markets where they are unlikely to run. Don Poli in the NH Chase, CF in the Ryanair, Vautour in the Arkle. I haven't checked myself but I'm going to guess its a similar story.

When I read my post back I wasn't clear. I meant IF Paddy Power were biggest price NRNB they'd be f"cked. Apologies for that.

Would seem the word is Annie Power won't be running in the mares hurdle according to what Ricci told some lady at a preview night :lol:

That aside why on earth are the 2 Nichols horses favourite for this?

Zarkandar especially has absolutely no chance. He beat a totally out of form gemix in France and that was in abog. He spat out the dummy against Reve De Sivola he's the most overrated animal in the race IMO

No matter how you look at it Saphir Du Rheu is a failed chaser who was flat to the boards to beat Reve De Sivola who now has a 4lbd pull with him.

Granted Reve De Sivola needs soft ground but Saphir Du Rheu doesn't? His best form was when he beat Whisper giving him 6lbs on HEAVY ground.

If the ground comes up fast he could easily be run off his feet by the likes of Rock on Ruby or/and Annie Power if she does turn up.

Finding horses that act well or have proven form on good fast ground and will stay is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

ROR may stay but isn't certain to, Seeyouatmidnight certainly fits the bill, he has won a grade 2 but was hammered by Beat That in a grade 1 at Aintree.
There's always the chance he peaked too soon and is better than that and his trainer has only given him a pipeopener this season so far in which he ran a very good second.

Monksland I have a soft spot for he caught my eye on good ground when he was the strongest finisher behind Simonsig in the Neptune.
He only knows how to run knows nothing about ratings and looks to be on his way back after to good if not great runs,

I think he could surprise a lot of people here.

I've already backed ROR but I could see this being a boil over all the front horses have huge holes in them and it's near impossible to be confident about any of them.

Whisper worked the other day then the rumours started he may go to Aintree but NJH already said as much in a recent video when talking about Blue fashion......He said he would also go
for the World Hurdle IF he can get him right on time. BG was positive about the horse but you'd have to imagine no decision will be made until he has that final crucial gallop.

Blue Fashion certainly goes but he's a bit of an unknown quantity where the ground is concerned.

He was touted all over the place as a chaser of the future and the one thing he doesn't seem to lack is class.

No doubt in my mind BG will ride Whisper if he turns up but that doesn't mean for one minute he thinks he's got the better chance.
Can't see Dai Walters being too happy if he got of Whisper to ride Blue Fashion.

Nicky Henderson points out that he finished 2nd to More of That giving him weight.

I don't think that means much tbh not even Jonjo was thinking World Hurdle at that time and the horse who finished a close up 3rd is no great shakes.

Blue Fashion could be anything but has a lot to prove to win this.

Much will depend on the ground but just about anything could win this EXCEPT for Zarkander ....lay him till the cows come home it's buying money

A P McCoy saying this morning At Fishers Cross is still in the World Hurdle so he won't be riding Rock On Ruby

McCoy should take a big stick and whack the horse...no wait Whack the trainer over the head with it and knock some sense into her. The horse has no place going to Cheltenham. Isn't Hexam on the same day?

Geraghty is on Get on right now and he is going to talk about his mount in this race shortly........

Seemed more keen on Whisper, it has to be said. Didn't say much about BF at all, other than had been difficult to train.

Luke “hmm the World hurdle Barry hmm you’ve got Whisper in the race who turned out to be a revelation last year having won the handicap but, but the one who fascinates me is Blue fashion behind Faugheens form and More of That. He’s a dark horse that isn’t quite so dark now because he’s been highlighted by Nicky”

Barry “I know his form reads well hmm, he’s been keeping good company but, he’d have a chance on that form obviously he’d have a chance but, he’s obviously had a few issues and hasn’t been on the track as often hmm on his day he’s a decent horse”

Luke “and Whisper”

Barry ”Whisper, I popped a few hurdles on him this morning, felt great, worked nicely at Kempton on Tuesday”

No way did his body language indicate in any way that he’d ride Blue fashion but he did say he would leave his decision until the last possible moment.

Last edited:
If that was directed at me, Max, I didn't suggest he was anything other than cool about Blue Fashion.

Not directed at you at all, just a general comment Grassy. He seemed excited by Whispers progress and exactly the opposite of Blue Fashion, didn't even say whether that one had schooled.

Blue Fashion was definitely there but Barry could only ride one.

I doubt it matter the class horse in the race without a shadow of a doubt is Rock on Ruby and despite winning a Champion Hurdle he's got stayer written all over him.

He won the Champion Hurdle with a combination of speed and stamina and people seem to have forgotten he was beaten only a short head in the Neptune over 2m5f as a baby.

He's got 3 furlongs further to go in the World Hurdle but he's no longer a baby and the way he ran away from Vaniteux giving him weight over 2m5f bar a few yard would indicate he should get the trip on what should be faster ground.

My one worry is it comes up soft but if not on the day he's the one they all have to beat IMO

I'd be worried if I wanted to back anything of Harry Fry's next week, another of his called Template just ran like a drain at Chepstow

Getting to the stage where you are scared to open up a website....If he worked that badly Grassy they'll need to go some to get him right for Aintree

Back