York Ebor Meeting; (a proper good meeting :))

I might go with Dariyan. I'm not sure what happened last time, but this won over 10.5F before. I think he's a threat over this distance. He beat Silverwave that day who franked the form nicely when winning a group one unexpectedly at 14/1 next time out. I'll take my chance.

Last edited:
Minding would clearly be the one to beat but I'm not sure they'd want to go twelve furlongs with her again.

In her absence, I'd quite like the look of Queen's Trust at 16/1.

I've backed QT each-way and 16s looks a decent price now but I could have done without Found being declared. She hadn't been mentioned in connection with the Yorkshire Oaks until this last weekend.

Such is life.

Fair Eva is an odds-on favourite for the Lowther on Thursday and rightly so but Magical Fire looks ridiculously big at 20/1. She's 3lbs better off with Roly Poly for half a length on their running at the July Meeting but RP is 6/1 or thereabouts. I must be reading the Form Book wrong.

I looked at Mutakayef but the distance is a major question mark at this level.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

Fair Eva is an odds-on favourite for the Lowther on Thursday and rightly so but Magical Fire looks ridiculously big at 20/1. She's 3lbs better off with Roly Poly for half a length on their running at the July Meeting but RP is 6/1 or thereabouts. I must be reading the Form Book wrong.

Magical Fire 20/1? I thought she had a good chance too. They must be pricing the trainer up rather than the horse!

Last edited:
We'll see if Idaho can get his head in front on Wednesday. I know Wilson liked the horse before the derby. I'm wondering how confident Lee is about this one?

Imperial Aviator looks interesting at 12/1. He ran no race in France, but best to put a line through that.

His notable form is when he pulled 6L clear in a maiden at Leicester with the future Gordon winner, Ulysses.

After winning at Goodwood the handicapper has Sir Michael Stoutes horse on 111, with his Leicester conqueror Imperial Aviator on just 98, entered to take on the big guns on Wednesday in the Great Voltigeur.

You wonder how much improvement Roger Chartons horse has left, potentially a hell of a lot, so it might be worth paying to find out at those odds.

We'll see how Imperial and Idaho get on tomorrow. I will be with Imperial Aviator each way, but more hopeful than confident. There's ample room to improve that rating of 99 (think he's been raised a pound recently), but he does have a hell of a lot to find with Idaho.

Last edited:
Looking forward to being there tomorrow. It's the 40th anniversary of my first ever day at the races - the opening day of the 1976 Ebor Meeting (which was on a Tuesday in those days). I went with my dad and younger brother. Lester won the opener, the Acomb, on Padroug (Vincent O'Brien) in a driving finish with a big crowd roaring him home. I was hooked.

Duke Of Firenze interests me in the first tomorrow. Well-drawn and he ran an excellent race in the Stewards' Cup last time out over a trip whichever is probably beyond his best. The drop back to this extended five tomorrow should suit and we know he is effective on the track.

I'll give Nakeeta another chance in the staying handicap. Travels well and he's certainly capable of winning a race like this if everything drops right.

Have a great day, gus; I love the Ebor meeting [the Ebor being my favourite race of the year]. Used to go when it was on a Wednesday.

A great day is this. Bit if a scattergun approach but in brief, think Robot Boy looks a good bet in the first. Is inconsistent, but has come down to a really good mark and if he can run like he did at Ascot a couple of starts back, he'll be bang there. First time blinkers could provide a bit of extra added focus.

The nursery at 4.55 looks as competitive as you might expect from a 20-runner 2-y-o handicap but there are two that stand out to me as being potentially some way of their mark and they are Navarone and Burrishoole Abbey. Navarone has shaped well in maidens involving the likes of Tommy Taylor and Londinium who have either won or gone very close in a nursery which suggests his mark is fair on the bare form. The key is the drop back to 6f I think, he tanked through that Haydock race but was too green after hitting the front and then hasn't seen out 7f on either start since, but fact he's traded at 1.15, 1.54 and 2.0 in 3 starts to date suggests an improved showing at 6f. He's mostly speedily bred on the dam's side too even though by Casamento.

Burrishoole Abbey is less open to improvement but might be thrown in on his Carlisle win. It's tricky to assess, the race was delayed after a horse was injured in the stall and he'd had a run while the rest were newcomers but he blew the field apart. The runner-up won next time while those well back have shown improved form since. He flopped in a listed race at Ascot, but perhaps the 7f trip didn't suit, and he wasn't knocked about once fading, but he made an eye-catching mid-race move to get on the heels of the leaders.

Got to keep them both onside at 25s a piece.

Good luck everyone, and have a great day.

A great day is this. Bit if a scattergun approach but in brief, think Robot Boy looks a good bet in the first. Is inconsistent, but has come down to a really good mark and if he can run like he did at Ascot a couple of starts back, he'll be bang there. First time blinkers could provide a bit of extra added focus.

The nursery at 4.55 looks as competitive as you might expect from a 20-runner 2-y-o handicap but there are two that stand out to me as being potentially some way of their mark and they are Navarone and Burrishoole Abbey. Navarone has shaped well in maidens involving the likes of Tommy Taylor and Londinium who have either won or gone very close in a nursery which suggests his mark is fair on the bare form. The key is the drop back to 6f I think, he tanked through that Haydock race but was too green after hitting the front and then hasn't seen out 7f on either start since, but fact he's traded at 1.15, 1.54 and 2.0 in 3 starts to date suggests an improved showing at 6f. He's mostly speedily bred on the dam's side too even though by Casamento.

Burrishoole Abbey is less open to improvement but might be thrown in on his Carlisle win. It's tricky to assess, the race was delayed after a horse was injured in the stall and he'd had a run while the rest were newcomers but he blew the field apart. The runner-up won next time while those well back have shown improved form since. He flopped in a listed race at Ascot, but perhaps the 7f trip didn't suit, and he wasn't knocked about once fading, but he made an eye-catching mid-race move to get on the heels of the leaders.

Got to keep them both onside at 25s a piece.

Good luck everyone, and have a great day.

Navarone is a non-runner.

I'd already backed Nautical Haven in the race but that's a decent case made for Burrishoole Abbey and I shall have a bit more than just a saver.

I've got a tasty football double (Darlington 1883) running onto Idaho @ 11/10 but as is the way, the confidence wains slightly on the day of the race.

and I'm with DJ in thinking this could finally be the day for Robot Boy. Hard to be extremely confident in any race, especially a 5f spring at York, but on recent evidence he's berthed fairly advantageously, is well weighted on old form and has conditions to suit. 14s with Victor.

It's not often I let a G1 race go unbacked but I think that'll be the case today as I find it impossible to oppose Postponed with anything in here but there are sufficient doubts about the yard's recent wellbeing, his recovery from ailment and drop in trip to prevent me from getting financially involved and I'd love to see TGG run well for Euro who's' never lost faith in him.

I don't like taking short prices about one raced maiden winners, however impressive they were, so I'll leave the Acomb alone and take a look at the stayers handicap later.

(Written yesterday evening)

I’ll be surprised and disappointed if Postponed doesn’t outclass this field even with the drop back in trip, which I don’t think will really inconvenience him. Simon Rowlands, in his sectional debrief for Timeform after Epsom, said of Postponed:

The speed Postponed showed here is a rarity for a horse running at beyond a mile, even among the elite. If connections wanted, they could easily try him again at 10f, a distance that seemed a bit short for him over a year ago.

From that, I’d interpret that if they try to slow the pace up to beat him for late speed they’d probably be playing into his hands, and if they go fast his stamina will ensure he’s on top at the end. Although this race is famous or shocks, I don’t see one happening here. I might look at Mutakayyef in the market without Postponed. He put up a lifetime best last time back over a mile and Dutch Connection has franked that form. He might find more again back up in trip. There’s some 7/4 going about Postponed and I can imagine some big hitters being seriously interested at that price.

Last edited:
Postponed just isn't an animal I've ever taken too but absolutely fair play to him here, he's danced every dance they've asked of him this season, surely the Arc beckons now and a clash of the Titans with Harzand.

Postponed just isn't an animal I've ever taken too but absolutely fair play to him here, he's danced every dance they've asked of him this season, surely the Arc beckons now and a clash of the Titans with Harzand.

Agreed. He's developed into a tip-top performer, very consistent, versatile, just keeps on beating whatever's put in front of him. On decent ground, he'd have to be favoured over Harzand if they meet in the Arc. An admirable racehorse.

Enjoyable but frustrating day yesterday.

I beat the book everywhere: Duke Of Firenze at 14/1, Best Of Days 13/8, Mutakayyef 14/1 and Nakeeta 10/1 - all of them placed, all of them backed win-only, and the first two chinned after looking home and hosed and trading respectively in running at 1.01 and 1.05.

I'm on two ante-post today namely Fair Eva at 5/4 and Queen's Trust each-way at 16/1. Happy with both of them but after yesterday I'll not be counting any chickens. I'm frightened of Found in the Yorkshire Oaks but I just get the feeling she'll not have been geared up for this and that it's something of an afterthought. They've talked all season about an autumn campaign.

Yeah, not a good day for me either yesterday, Im usually pretty good at York but couldn't pick my nose yesterday.

Was with Frankie after racing yesterday and he said that Abingdon was sure fire today. Price a bit short but I'm having a go. I backed third time lucky last time at York amd I am convinced it was extremely unlucky in running. Last race wasn't good nd I wonder if it was just to get another couple of lbs off for another go today. Going each way.

Hemmingway in the first. Ryan has a great record in this race.

Jadaayil in the last, impressive come back run and I think should come on again.

Enjoyable but frustrating day yesterday.

I'm frightened of Found in the Yorkshire Oaks but I just get the feeling she'll not have been geared up for this and that it's something of an afterthought. They've talked all season about an autumn campaign.

My thoughts exactly, I was amazed to hear her mentioned in regards to this race last week, ground should be fine for her but she's known as a bit of a slow burner and the lads big targets with her must be the Arc/Champion Stakes and then BC again. I'll take stablemate Even Song over her today.

As stated earlier, I had a good time yesterday but there were a couple of negatives.

First, the fact that it's only a six-race card leaves a definite sense of being short-changed. It's a consequence of the move from a three day to a four day meeting.

Secondly, my daughter backed Duke Of Firenze each-way in a 20-runner sprint handicap with a Tatts bookie and was paid out at a fifth the odds a place. I appreciate it shows up a flaw in the way I've brought her up but it's a poor show, really.

Tawdeea for David O Meara would be a contender for the Ebor on his Old Newton Cup form at Haydock. He had Mark Johnston's pair Notarised and Star's Over The Sea down the field that day. So the form looks strong enough at this stage. Tawdeea shaped as though he would stay further, keeping on for pressure. I've put a line through the last two runs. He's 25/1 for The Ebor in a place.
Tawdeea has been declared at the final stage today. They're going 6/1 each of two at the top of the betting, but this looks open nevertheless. I could see Tawdeea shortening in the next 48 hours, 20/1 is too big. I'll be interested to see who Pricewise goes for also.

Last edited:
In the big handicaps I always like to look at the ones at the bottom end that have crept in. It worked for Nayel at the last meeting, and I've picked up wedding dress. Bottom weight off 79. Won on debut beating a horse that has won three times since including last two off 74 and 80. second next time out 4.5 length defeat to yalta, which given Yaltas last run is pretty decent form. Didn't like the soft ground last time and with the firm ground I'm expecting a much better show today. Atzeni up is eye catching for me and I am going 2pts each way.

Back