York Ebor Meeting; (a proper good meeting :))

Having a stinker, I'm keeping my money in my pocket for the rest of the day!

Well, that is twice I've backed Third time lucky at York and twice I think has been extremely unlucky come the final furlong and a half. Perhaps it will literally be third time lucky next time as I think it is slightly better than it's current 100 rating.

As stated earlier, I had a good time yesterday but there were a couple of negatives.

First, the fact that it's only a six-race card leaves a definite sense of being short-changed. It's a consequence of the move from a three day to a four day meeting.

Secondly, my daughter backed Duke Of Firenze each-way in a 20-runner sprint handicap with a Tatts bookie and was paid out at a fifth the odds a place. I appreciate it shows up a flaw in the way I've brought her up but it's a poor show, really.

It's over expensive when compared to the excellent Dante meeting earlier in the year. £32 yesterday for a grandstand/paddock ticket and as you say only a 6 race card. I think it's about £10 too expensive in comparison to the Dante meeting. Good luck finding a bookie offering 1/4 odds a place, there are about 4-5 of them, usually Paul Johnson, Corbett Sports, Geoff Banks going 1/4 odds.

I'm hopeful the Northern raider, (North of York, certainly), Dominada... will go well at a price tomorrow.
Got some new headgear on, runs with a featherweight, and should appreciate a stronger gallop over a shorter trip, (in theory at least).

Last edited:
York looks difficult today with question marks about the going - the rain has arrived - and draw.

The Convivial is interesting, though. A maiden worth over £47k (including bonus) to the winner is a rare thing indeed and it's predictably attracted a competitive field but I'm surprised to see both Max Zorin and Star Stream trading at double figure odds on Betfair. Considering he was held up some way off a very steady pace, Max Zorin did extremely well to finish second, clear of the rest, when second to a well-backed all the way winner at Sandown recently on his debut. Star Stream was unfancied on his first start at Goodwood last month but did best of the newcomers and from a bad draw to boot. The winner ran well in good company at York on Wednesday.

Last edited:
I've had to have a few quid on Profitable now the rain has arrived, I'm not sure the ground is going to deteriorate too much though as Meccas Angel's connections were still in 2 minds whether to run( they are running)but good should be fine for profitable, although this weather may have Kyboshed my ante-post on Easton Angel:rolleyes:.

Simon Rowlands of Timeform

"Quest For More ran the last 3f about a second (~6 lengths) quicker than Barsanti at over 4f shorter. FWIW."

Mecca's Angel was very impressive. I had her on a huge rating when she burst on to the scene but she didn't really back it up until last year's Nunthorpe. Same again since then. Some of her defeats are all the more unfathomable in the light of this performance.

Still, take her out of the race and Limato has put the second-raters in their proper place. I was getting annoyed by all the guff being spouted about the likes of Profitable being a top class sprinter.

Two right goods ones to celebrate but how long will it be before MA runs to this level again??

Last edited:
Don't know Mo but the owner appears to know it all, going by his interview on RUK.

Last edited:
Mecca's Angel was very impressive. I had her on a huge rating when she burst on to the scene but she didn't really back it up until last year's Nunthorpe. Same again since then. Some of her defeats are all the more unfathomable in the light of this performance.

Still, take her out of the race and Limato has put the second-raters in their proper place. I was getting annoyed by all the guff being spouted about the likes of Profitable being a top class sprinter.

Two right goods ones to celebrate but how long will it be before MA runs to this level again??

Your form book doesn't include her 3L win in a Gr2 at the Curragh a few weeks ago?

Your form book doesn't include her 3L win in a Gr2 at the Curragh a few weeks ago?

It does, but that win didn't amount to what Limato did in the July Cup. I had her higher than that for her Longchamp win earlier in her career. Today's performance was on another level altogether.

They are both high class animals.

In other news, did anyone see the last? Banksea ran a great race from an unpromising position and looks a stone cold Cambridgeshire horse. 28s at 365.

The handicapper put her up to a new high of 120 after she won last year's Nunthorpe. As you say, she fell away from that standard subsequently but the handicapper restored her to that mark after the Curragh race, where she won unchallenged, so I don't think it's true that she didn't back up last year's win until today.

I should add I didn't back her today, for which I'm kicking myself.

Banksea ran a great race from an unpromising position and looks a stone cold Cambridgeshire horse. 28s at 365.

Totally agree. I backed him yesterday in the belief he'd be suited by dropping back in trip after racing keenly in his races over 10f. He was unlucky, unable to get out briefly when going well and the winner had flown. My first reaction was that he might not get in the Cambs but he'd have got in comfortably last year. The downside of yesterday is that the weights aren't yet set and he'll go up about 4lbs but he's clearly improving and that's a big price from a firm which pays out each-way on the first five. The end-to-end gallop at Newmarket will be right up his street.

The Melrose looks a tough race to solve but I've had a big soft spot for the race since I backed Parlour Games in 2011
Unicorn doesn't look too well in but first time in a h'cap, big step up in trip with Spencer on board in a race there likely to go a decent clip, I'll take a chance at the price there's sufficient potential.
Regal Monsrch also, trainer won it last year and the horse should be on good heart after a win at Ponte for which he carries a 6lb penalty here.

I know a few people who took the favs at Sandown today, they're doing alright.
Nothing has gone my way at York, Tawdeea would be some consolation but my confidence is not sky high!

Last edited:
I know a few people who took the favs at Sandown today, they're doing alright.
Nothing has gone my way at York, Tawdeea would be some consolation but my confidence is not sky high!

I backed Shamshon last night at 5s and 11/2. He went off at 11/4 and received a travesty of a ride from Baker. Not happy.

As regards to York, the four days do not work. Today's card was yawnsville and in two of the four days I couldn't even find a bet.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I backed him yesterday in the belief he'd be suited by dropping back in trip after racing keenly in his races over 10f. He was unlucky, unable to get out briefly when going well and the winner had flown. My first reaction was that he might not get in the Cambs but he'd have got in comfortably last year. The downside of yesterday is that the weights aren't yet set and he'll go up about 4lbs but he's clearly improving and that's a big price from a firm which pays out each-way on the first five. The end-to-end gallop at Newmarket will be right up his street.

Being a 3yo he'll have a nice racing weight. Bronze Angel won it off 96 the first time and this horse is in that ball park ability wise.

Tony Martin shows his talent yet again.
For a guy whose yard is up for sale and who lost Giggi as clients is still one of the best in the business.
Heartbreak another to win at Cork Easter Saturday, the day the two classic winners won and to think hardly a few hundred people showed up.

For a guy whose yard is up for sale and who lost Giggi as clients is still one of the best in the business.
Heartbreak another to win at Cork Easter Saturday, the day the two classic winners won and to think hardly a few hundred people showed up.

Heartbreak City's flat mark won't be too far short of his hurdles rating after today.

Kudos to those who backed HC (and QJ for that matter) today but I can't get remotely worked up when Martin wins these races.

The winner never had the form on the track to be competitive yet has outrun all known form by half a stone and more.

Fair play, though, to Channel 4 Racing. How often do we see them invite on to the Morning Line someone connected to the big winner later in the day? The jockey seemed like a really lovely lad and made the most of an armchair ride.

I usually do well at York and my record in the Ebor is not at all bad but this whole week has been a nightmare for me. I reckon it will be a long time before I take another midsummer holiday. I've been unable to pick my nose since I got home.

The winner never had the form on the track to be competitive yet has outrun all known form by half a stone and more.

???

Yes Heartbreak City probably produced a PB today but he certainly had the form on the track to be competitive in today's race. He ruined his chance in the Chester Cup by pulling but at Cork he "couldn't have won more easily and his rider could have done nothing to prevent him from winning as far as he did". And in the meantime he had won twice over hurdles and gone up in the official ratings by 16 lbs.

There was no hint of cheating about this win.

As for Quick Jack, he's being campaigned openly but has gone a few pounds too high in the handicap.

I can't understand the anti Heartbreak City sentiment -he won at the meeting last year -absolutely hacked up at Cork first time out this year and has obviously found improvement over hurdles.He was a proven winner who has been openly campaigned.

Back