ZENYATTA - 15 not out!

What's with this 'superstar' stuff, anyway? It's all fake nonsense - there are horses, just like humans, which excel over all others in certain conditions. As soon as a horse is doing fabulously on turf, someone wants him to prove himself in the dirt, and vice versa. "Horses for courses" as a wise maxim seems to desert them.

Can't some of you just ENJOY what horses do, without forever oh-so-boringly trying to diminish and demean every effort? Sometimes life isn't all about timings, ratings, theories and spreadsheets. It's about enjoyment - a seemingly forgotten or never-grasped concept for some people. Do you apply the same caveats to your sexual pleasures? Once the gasping's all over, do you check your stopwatch and see if your sectionals (or sextionals) have improved over last month's? Rush to your laptop and enter up your Best Delay to Orgasm and see how it compares with 2009's? I'm beginning to think that some of you probably do, since everything seems reduced to stats. For Christ's sake, just enjoy what's in front of you!

:lol:

by the way - whats an orgasm? :)

Well, as a genteel, elderly spinster, I wouldn't know, of course... although I did hear it was something to do with getting pleasure from folding pieces of paper. I must've folded three tons of it by now, and it's not raised anything more than a slight smile so far... perhaps I'm using the wrong technique?

In the United States last weekend, the magnificent mare Zenyatta took her 100pc run to 18, something of a magic number for Turf anoraks, matching as it does the unbeaten record of the 18th-century English giant Eclipse.
That horse, bred in 1764 by William, Duke of Cumberland, has long since galloped out of the pages of history and into those of legend. After he retired, he became a hugely successful stallion, to the degree that 90pc of today's thoroughbreds are descended from him in the direct male line.
They include Zenyatta, whose 20-greats paternal grandsire he is (and is, incidentally, one of 4,194,304 names in that particular centuries-distant generation), and Harbinger, 18-greats.
Eclipse retired unbeaten, as did another on 18, the Turkish champion of the 1970s, Karayel. The recent 19 for 19 of Peppers Pride is now very much within Zenyatta's reach

I think we saw the end of Rachael Alexander at Saratoga tonight -got involve in a speed duel and had her tongue hanging out for the last couple of furlongs-not nice to watch.

Agreed ...clueless ride by C Borel .. win the battle and lose the war...what was he thinking in a mile and a quarter race.

Absolutely brillint stuff - everytime I think Oh no she's gonna lose and she gets up almost comfortably - one of the all time greats - really gives me a buzz - I hope she does the same in the Breeders Cup and the retires. Can't help thinking she'd get beat in her next race, for the last 6 races she's ran in - but couldn't lay her out of respect. :adore:

Thank you SO MUCH, Gamla! Didn't quite know where to find it to watch it - was it on ATR?? Anyway, that is so impressive. She even takes her bends wide, well off the rail, lobbing along like she's out for a hack canter. I love her almost imperceptible move on her fields, you don't see much happen, but suddenly she's on the last one's tail, then she's passing, then she's moving on to the leader, and then - zip! - she's past and never seems to have made any real effort. Love the ever-rising screams of her adoring fans, too. I know the Americans go nuts for their equine heroes and can only think of the late BARBARO getting the poster boy treatment previously, but she sure deserves all the accolades.

Indeed, two amazons. How fabulous it must be to own one like this. Such a pleasure to see them both racing and proving females can be tough too and take their racing well. :<3:

ZENYATTA has lost the foal she was carrying to Bernardini only a week after receiving a positive 28-day scan, according to the Horse of the Year's official website.

The site, which is written in the first person singular on Zenyatta's behalf, said: "In life, we all have things that don’t always go as hoped or planned. I am not any different than anyone else. At Lane’s End, they did a re-check on me today and discovered that I am no longer in foal. Just as with humans, horses also have this type of thing happen."

The daughter of Street Cry retired as the winner of 13 Grade 1 races including the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic.

According to the Blood Horse, Zenyatta will be bred again this year “She came up empty on a 35-day check,” said Lane’s End farm manager Mike Cline. "It happens, and it’s unfortunate. It’s just one of those things. It’s not unusual. She’s happy and healthy. Hopefully, we’ll get her right back in foal.”

Sorry to hear about Zenyatta losing her embryo/foetus (call it as you like depending of its development).
I don´t really wanna start any argument, but I am surprissed they are using the term "foal". Zenyatta has never had a foal yet.

Sorry to hear about Zenyatta losing her embryo/foetus (call it as you like depending of its development).
I don´t really wanna start any argument, but I am surprissed they are using the term "foal". Zenyatta has never had a foal yet.

Live foal at 28 days would be standard terminology, that being the heart beat scan.

I disagree Miesque.
You cannot get a live foal until the mare has given birth. It is either a live embryo or a live feotus once the development is more advanced.

"In life, we all have things that don’t always go as hoped or planned. I am not any different than anyone else. At Lane’s End, they did a re-check on me today and discovered that I am no longer in foal. Just as with humans, horses also have this type of thing happen."

Is this stuff written for children?

I disagree Miesque.
You cannot get a live foal until the mare has given birth. It is either a live embryo or a live feotus once the development is more advanced.

Sorry, my phrasing before coffee leaves something to desire! I meant that it would be a phrase commonly heard once you've had a +ve heartbeat scan...it doesn't make it the correct scientific terminology!

Grey - now, come on - it's written for Americans! You know, all those fans with huge pink heart-shaped placards reading "We Love You Zenyatta" and "Go Girl Go"!

I'm not sure the quote refers to a foal - just to 'in foal' or 'empty'. I think it's our august reporter, Swedish Chef, who's used that easy-to-understand, non-technical phrase.

Back