Jumpers Notebook

Insofar as Mr D Maxwell is concerned, missing out on his winners is a much slower route to the poorhouse than backing the ones he’s on.

If I like one of his in a race, I immediately move onto a different race to bet in.

Agree with you there, however that yesterday was a shocker even by his standards.

Today:

PIC ROC - (Catterick, 13:55)
bet365 Bet now 11/2
Race:
Friends Of Kiplin Hall/EBF 'National Hunt' Novices' Hurdle (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Mount Nelson gelding who progressed with each start in bumpers before shaping well on his hurdling bow when fifth of 9 in novice at Newbury (20.5f, heavy, 40/1) 22 days ago. Can step forward and make his presence felt.starstarstarstar

Gave the odds-on favourite something to think about 2nd @4/1 Pic Roc wasn't at the same level as HASTHING in bumpers, but he was a useful sort in that sphere and had made a satisfactory hurdling debut in what was likely a warm race at Newbury last month. Allowed the run of the race on this occasion, he briefly had the favourite in trouble after two out and would have taken a bit more passing had he not lost valuable momentum when stumbling on landing over the last. He ought to have no problem winning something similar.RP

Running Balance: - 36:50

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

MISTER POLICEMAN - (Naas, 12:42)
bet365 Bet now 4/6
Race:
BetVictor Irish EBF Novice Chase
Your comment:
timeform
Smart ex-French hurdler who impressed when landing Cork novice hurdle in April and marked himself down as an exciting prospect when narrowly defeating stablemate on chase debut at Fairyhouse in November. Big player with prospect of plenty more to come.starstarstarstarstar

COCO MADEMOISELLE - (Huntingdon, 13:50)
bet365 Bet now 4/5
Race:
Weatherbys Private Bank Mares' Novices' Hurdle (GBB Race)
Your comment:
# 27
timeform
Off mark in Irish points and comfortably followed up in a bumper at Wetherby 9 months ago. Confirmed the promise of November's hurdles debut when landing the odds at Lingfield later that month and she'll take some stopping. starstarstarstarstar

HEROS - (Wincanton, 13:00)
bet365 Bet now 7/2
Race:
Kingwell Farm Novices' Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Bumper/hurdles winner in France who has hit the ground running over fences this winter, landing back-to-back Taunton handicaps at 18f. Didn't see things out back up at 20f when third at Aintree on Boxing Day but revised mark doesn't look insurmountable if he can leave that behind. starstarstarstar

I like Heros tomorrow. I think the step down in trip and returning to a right handed track will both suit. Plus, the horse he narrowly beat at Taunton won a half decent race at Donny yesterday.

I like Heros tomorrow. I think the step down in trip and returning to a right handed track will both suit. Plus, the horse he narrowly beat at Taunton won a half decent race at Donny yesterday.

Bit of a concern that he folded so tamely when the Nichols horse went by him at Aintree. That was 2m 4f same as today so not understanding the step down in trip comment

Still, happy to have taken 7/2 last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister Policeman folded a bit tamely there....bubble very much burst. Quixilios on the other hand, back to the form of a couple of years ago :)

Reading Tommy Wrong did it nicely to out battle stable companion Ile Atlantique up the hill at Naas (12/1/24) and is one to keep an eye on.

Bit of a concern that he folded so tamely when the Nichols horse went by him at Aintree. That was 2m 4f same as today so not understanding the step down in trip comment

Still, happy to have taken 7/2 last night

No matter what I do I cannot get that fuckin woman's horses right. That was utter dogshit today. Yes he folded at Aintree but he jumped to the right on a number of occasions and I thought Wincanton would suit much better. I honestly think I should just avoid Venetia's charges.

Last edited:
No matter what I do I cannot get that fuckin woman's horses right. That was utter dogshit today. Yes he folded at Aintree but he jumped to the right on a number of occasions and I thought Wincanton would suit much better. I honestly think I should just avoid Venetia's charges.

You & me both. I can’t remember backing a Venetia winner since LHP won the RSA.

Maybe they held him up today realising he didn’t get home at Aintree but that clearly didn’t work out. The horse never looked happy to my untrained eye and one to avoid at 2.5 miles

Tomorrow:

MISTER POLICEMAN - (Naas, 12:42)
bet365 Bet now 4/6
Race:
BetVictor Irish EBF Novice Chase
Your comment:
timeform
Smart ex-French hurdler who impressed when landing Cork novice hurdle in April and marked himself down as an exciting prospect when narrowly defeating stablemate on chase debut at Fairyhouse in November. Big player with prospect of plenty more to come.starstarstarstarstar

COCO MADEMOISELLE - (Huntingdon, 13:50)
bet365 Bet now 4/5
Race:
Weatherbys Private Bank Mares' Novices' Hurdle (GBB Race)
Your comment:
# 27
timeform
Off mark in Irish points and comfortably followed up in a bumper at Wetherby 9 months ago. Confirmed the promise of November's hurdles debut when landing the odds at Lingfield later that month and she'll take some stopping. starstarstarstarstar

HEROS - (Wincanton, 13:00)
bet365 Bet now 7/2
Race:
Kingwell Farm Novices' Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Bumper/hurdles winner in France who has hit the ground running over fences this winter, landing back-to-back Taunton handicaps at 18f. Didn't see things out back up at 20f when third at Aintree on Boxing Day but revised mark doesn't look insurmountable if he can leave that behind. starstarstarstar

MISTER POLICEMAN 3rd 8/15f - Mister Policeman had the scope for improvement from his winning chase debut at Fairyhouse but it just didn't materialise. He jumped safely without having a cut at his fences and he was behind the 8-ball from some way out. He kept on fairly well, but he clearly is not a 2-miler over fences.RP

COCO MADEMOISELLE 2nd 1/3f - Coco Mademoiselle got outstayed but lost little in defeat in trying to concede weight to the winner. She remains with potential.RP

HEROS 3rd 11/4 - Heros, who'd tasted defeat for the first time over fences at Aintree last time, usually makes the running, so it was a surprise to him adopt hold-up tactics. He never looked particularly happy and a rally turning in proved only a brief one.RP

Running Balance: - 39:50

Tomorrow:

ETALON - (Warwick, 12:05)
bet365 Bet now 1/6
Race:
Unibet Edward Courage Cup Novices' Limited Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Hurdles winner who readily surpassed form in that sphere when making a winning return/chase debut at Newbury (16.4f) last month, jumping boldly and asserting run-in. Excellent opportunity to follow up.starstarstarstarstar

WON

HURRICANE HIGHWAY - (Wetherby, 13:10) non runner
bet365 Bet now
Race:
William Hill Towton Novices' Chase (Grade 2) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Point winner who tasted success on second of 3 starts over hurdles. Unseated on return/chase debut in November and looked unlucky not to win (all but came down 4 out) when finishing third at Chepstow (23.6f, heavy) next time. Remains open to improvement in this sphere.

THE KING OF RYHOPE - (Wetherby, 13:10)
bet365 Bet now 6/1
Race:
William Hill Towton Novices' Chase (Grade 2) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Low-mileage 8-y-o who improved to make a winning return/handicap chase debut at Chepstow (19.5f, soft) in October, seeing off a resilient rival (pair clear). Conditions were perhaps too testing at Ffos Las since and probably worth another chance, albeit this is a big ask.starstarstar

3rd/4 17/2 - The King Of Ryhope, fared better than when disappointing on heavy ground at Ffos Las last time, but was comprehensively outpointed by the first two. He'll have easier opportunities back in a handicap.RP

Running Balance: - 40.50

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

MONBEG PARK - (Punchestown, 13:05)
bet365 Bet now 20/1
Race:
Betting Better With Sky Bet Novice Chase (grade 3)
Your comment:
timeform
Useful hurdler. Useful winner at 21f over hurdles. 8/1, creditable fourth of 8 in novice chase at Leopardstown (17f, heavy) 18 days ago.starstarstar

I liked the way he stayed on at Leop. Obviously chances are today is not the day although I'm not convinced at all by Blood Destiny. Basically beat a handicapper first time up with a silly age allowance thrown in.

Tomorrow:

BOLD ENDEAVOUR - (Lingfield, 14:25)
bet365 Bet now 5/1
Race:
Weatherbys Hamilton Handicap Hurdle (GBB Race)
Your comment:
# 26
timeform
Likeable and reliable sort ran another fine race in defeat when a close second in a 10-runner handicap hurdle at Cheltenham (24f, good to soft) 37 days ago. Nudged up in the weights but likely to give another good account.starstarstarstar

6th/10 7/2 - Bold Endeavour had top weight after being raised 3lb for his Cheltenham second and he was without the 5lb claim. This looked a tall order.RP

INTHEWATERSIDE - (Lingfield, 16:10)
bet365 Bet now 9/4
Race:
Winter Million Novices' Handicap Hurdle (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Physically imposing sort who was unbeaten in 2 bumper runs and maintained 100% record despite the race not being run to suit when landing 11-runner Aintree maiden hurdle (20f) on return in October. Drop to 2m against him at Ascot and he remains one to be positive about. starstarstarstar

WON 4/1F - INTHEWATERSIDE was among the least exposed and looked well treated on bumper form for this handicap debut. Having been keen to get on with it he settled well in front, and he still hadn't been asked for his effort when the runner-up came to him at the last with what looked a winning run. To his credit he found plenty when challenged, and the chances are he is a lot better than this bare mark. He's a horse with a future, particularly over fences.RP

JPR ONE - (Lingfield, 13:15)
bet365 Bet now 10/3
Race:
Download The Racing App Now Lightning Novices' Chase (Grade 2) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
# 28
timeform
Useful hurdler who took an immediate step forward sent chasing when going in at Newton Abbot. Not disgraced when third of 6 in Henry VIII Novices' Chase at Sandown (15.4f, soft) 43 days ago so he's in the mix. starstarstarstar

WON 6/1 - JPR ONE, who had run well in a Grade 1 at Sandown since his unfortunate last-fence mishap at Cheltenham, was a good winner here and looked value for more as he appeared to idle on the run-in after getting the better of the runner-up going to the last, the pair having dominated over the last three fences. He jumps well and is a very smart novice, but it's no surprise that the Arkle market remains dominated by Irish runners.RP

MASTER CHEWY - (Lingfield, 13:15)
bet365 Bet now 7/2
Race:
Download The Racing App Now Lightning Novices' Chase (Grade 2) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Much improved since switching to chasing, scoring on his debut at Aintree and back to winning ways in 4-runner Wayward Lad Novices' Chase at Kempton (16f, good to soft) 25 days ago. Must enter calculations once more. starstarstarstar

4th/5 7/2 - Master Chewy was hampered in the incident at the first but raced in touch. He couldn't go with the first two up the straight and just lost out for third, but he wasn't beaten far.RP

THE KING OF PRS - (Lingfield, 13:50)
bet365 Bet now 15/8
Race:
Download The Racing App Now Godstone Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Irish raider who improved plenty during second half of last year, scoring over hurdles and progressed further for switch to chasing, landing maiden/novice events at Wexford Limerick (at up to 17.7f). Goes handicapping now and yard's representatives always command respect over here.

3rd/6 4/1 - The King Of Prs seems to have taken his form to a new level in Ireland since switched to fences and equipped with a tongue tie, winning both his starts there in testing conditions. There was no disgrace in this, but he struggled here against seasoned 2m handicappers.RP

Running Balance: - 31.5

Last edited:
Tomorrow:

OFF TO A FLYER - (Newbury, 14:35)
bet365 Bet now 10/1
Race:
Remembering Bob Olney Novices' Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
# 26
timeform
Successful at Ayr (24.3f) last spring but proved disappointing when well held at Kempton (20.5f) on debut over fences 28 days ago. Tries easier grade now and too soon to be writing him off in this sphere. starstarstar

Off to a Flyer was pulled up - will update balance after this one.

Tomorrow:

ENJOY YOUR LIFE - (Sandown, 15:00)
bet365 Bet now 13/2
Race:
Grand Military Gold Cup (Chase For Military Amateur Jockeys)
Your comment:
timeform
Fairly useful ex-French winning hurdler/chaser who built on his solid reappearance second at Wincanton when cosily landing a 3m Exeter handicap in November. Conditions were perhaps too testing for him over the same C&D next time but others make more appeal in any case.starstar

Last edited:
Today:

EL ELEFANTE - (Doncaster, 13:30)
bet365 Bet now 25/1
Race:
SBK Supreme Trial Rossington Main Novices' Hurdle (Grade 2) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
#1, 25
timeform
Made all both bumper outings and could hardly have been more impressive switched to hurdling when thrashing 3 previous winners at Perth (20.2f). Has backed up that effort in better company since, fourth in Listed hurdle at Haydock (18.9f, heavy) 35 days ago. No forlorn hope. starstarstar

JERIKO DU REPONET - (Doncaster, 13:30)
bet365 Bet now 1/2
Race:
SBK Supreme Trial Rossington Main Novices' Hurdle (Grade 2) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Won his only start in points and he has looked a most exciting hurdling prospect when easily landing a pair of 2m Newbury novice hurdles this winter. Has plenty more to offer and can maintain his unbeaten record upped in grade.starstarstarstarstar

JOHNNYWHO - (Cheltenham, 16:10)
bet365 Bet now 4/1
Race:
SSS Super Alloys Novices' Hurdle (Grade 2) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Wide-margin winner of sole start between the flags and successful in a Taunton bumper and 2½m Carlisle novice hurdle on first 2 starts under Rules. Didn't look out of place in graded company when fourth in the Challow at Newbury (20.5f, soft) last month and he remains with potential. Major player.starstarstar

JONBON - (Cheltenham, 14:25)
bet365 Bet now 3/10
Race:
My Pension Expert Clarence House Chase (Grade 1) (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Grade 1 winning hurdler who has quickly developed into a top-class chaser, his only defeat coming at the hands of El Fabiolo in last season's Arkle. Didn't need to match his effort in the Shloer to follow up in Tingle Creek at Sandown (15.4f, soft) 7 weeks ago and he's very hard to oppose. starstarstarstarstar

MONMIRAL - (Doncaster, 15:50)
bet365 Bet now 11/4
Race:
SBK Novices' Limited Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Smart hurdler is yet to fully improve upon that form over fences, failing to justify support on return when seventh of 12 in handicap chase at Cheltenham (20.6f, good to soft) 42 days ago. Well treated if able to put it all together and faces a much easier task in this company.starstarstarstarstar

PERSIAN TIME - (Cheltenham, 12:40)
bet365 Bet now 9/1
Race:
Timeform Novices' Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Lightly raced hurdler (useful form) who shaped encouragingly when second behind subsequent Grade 2 winner Djelo on chase debut at Newbury in December. Looked fortunate (left in front 2 out) when going one place better at Ascot latest but shapes as if he'll be at least as effective back at this trip.starstarstar

Last edited:
EL ELEFANTE Last 11/1 - set just a steady gallop before being outpaced by talented rivals up the home straight. She needs softer ground to be seen to best effect

JERIKO DU REPONET WON 4/6f - had to fight much harder on this step up in class. He wasn't impressive, but would have preferred a stronger gallop to aim at and, to be fair, he was well on top at the finish. His jumping wasn't the best on occasions but it held up when it was needed and he left the distinct impression he wasn't seen to best effect on ground which may have been quick enough for him. What he did prove was his willingness to battle and that will stand him in good stead in the Supreme at Cheltenham. He was pushed out to a generous-looking 8-1 in places for the opener at the Festival in which the same owner's Mystical Power is the favourite at around 7-2.

JOHNNYWHO 4th 11/2 - was below the form he showed when fourth to Cptain Teague in the Grade 1 Challow Hurdle, another who was caught out when they really got racing

JONBON 2nd 1/4f - had twice beaten Edwardstone this season, including when winning the Tingle Creek last time, but that one did little for the form at Kempton last time and he never looked happy in this, his jumping lacking any sort of fluency, with the mistake he made four out one that would have put a lesser horse on the floor. Although deserving credit for getting himself back in it, he ended up having a hard race with no reward, a far from ideal prep with the Champion Chase in mind, and it was no surprise to see him pushed out in the betting for the two-mile chasing showpiece.

MONMIRAL - non-runner

PERSIAN TIME - pulled up

Running Balance: - 37

Today:

CERENDIPITY - (Doncaster, 12:50)
bet365 Bet now 11/2
Race:
SBK Novices' Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Fairly useful winner over hurdles and built on an encouraging start in this sphere when getting off the mark at Wetherby in November. Backed it up with a solid third over C&D, though was badly let down by jumping at Haydock since. starstarstar

Last edited:
Yeah, seen the entry. Evan Williams has entered up Hurricane Highway, who's rated 125...

I assume you had him earmarked for a H'cap? I have him a stone ahead of that mark to be honest, especially back in trip.

Hurricane Highway declared for a decent handicap at Exeter on Wednesday. Evan has booked Cobden and he's 13/2 first show. Yummy

Last edited:
Tomorrow

HURRICANE HIGHWAY - (Exeter, 14:10)
bet365 Bet now 8/1
Race:
General Gilbert Novices' Limited Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
Your comment:
timeform
Point winner who tasted success on second of 3 starts over hurdles. Unseated on return/chase debut in November and looked unlucky not to win (all but came down 4 out) when finishing third at Chepstow (23.6f, heavy) next time. Remains open to improvement in this sphere.starstarstarstar

2nd 100/30 - Hurricane Highway, who'd surpassed his hurdles best when third over fences at Chepstow last month, ran another solid race in defeat, despite a notable error at the third-last not aiding his cause. He looks a strong stayer and he could develop into a marathon type.

Running Balance -39

Last edited:
Back