Election 2024

How to win friends and influence people! You crack on with your thread Grass and I will happily stay out of it. This is a racing forum after all

Last edited:
Party politics stink.
The main aim of the hustiings is to pour scorn on the opposition,like kids falling out in the playground.
Hopefully,one day they'll disappear, and MP's will do what they're paid to do - the best for their constituency and country.

With 35 days until Polling Day....

Most Seats
Labour 1.04
Conservatives 22

Overall Majority
Labour 1.11
No Overall Majority 11.5
Conservatives 50

Source: "The Machine."
With 31 days until Polling Day....

Most Seats
Labour 1.03
Conservatives 28

Overall Majority
Labour 1.09
No Overall Majority 14
Conservatives 60

After the announcement Nigel Farage is to lead Reform UK into the General Election the price of the Tories losing 201+ Seats has crashed to 1.2.

Great that Nige has done the decent thing - but just means for the moment that the cons will get a bigger hammering than was due to them. Starmer is unstoppable right now and that is terrifying. Good news for the future though, hope I live long enough to see it x

Don't let this political sh*t ruin your participation on here Grass. These f*cks come and go through the years. We been here years, fell out, made up, just like folk do in a pub. Give it a week or so, think of those future NH threads chap. You know it makes sense. You will soon have left more times than I have.:).

I think there's a futility to imposing one's political views on others on threads like this.

No ever changes anyone else's mind and it just causes conflict.

Far more interesting, in my opinion, to watch the election way unfold and look at the data bin much the same way a neutral would watch a football match.

Like most, I have a political view, I am not on a mission to impose it on anyone else and I find the opinion poll data and exchange market fluctuations my main source of interest.

I think there's a futility to imposing one's political views on others on threads like this.

Not just political views, Ian.

It tends to boil down to individual personae and their psychological need for some kind of relevance in place they're not entirely sure of.

I've been guilty of it myself, I know, but I've mellowed through the near-30 years I've been visiting this place in its various forms.

With 31 days until Polling Day....

Most Seats
Labour 1.03
Conservatives 28

Overall Majority
Labour 1.09
No Overall Majority 14
Conservatives 60

With 30 days until Polling Day and following tonight's TV debate which a snap YouGov poll had Sunak winning 51%-49%....

Most Seats
Labour 1.03
Conservatives 40

Overall Majority
Labour 1.07
No Overall Majority 18
Conservatives 55

I'm no fan of either Nigel Farage nor his imo divisive politics, but I disapprove of both the milkshake incident and the social media rejoicing in some quarters.

Maybe I'm getting older, but social media politics seems more childish and tribal by the day.

That said, there is a rumour it was a Farage-organised stunt and before hearing said gossip when I saw footage of the incident I must admit the body language and bemused facial expression of the young lady perpetrating the act didn't project "political activist" to me, but might have projected the message: "I'm a local girl with no interest in politics whatsoever, and someone just paid me a few hundred quid to do this."

I could be way off - it's been known! - but it will be mildly interesting to see if any more background information about her emerges.

A rare visit to a bookies (Hills) today to place a cash wager at 12/1 Labour to win 500 or more seats. Reasonable value I reckon with Reform now likely to split the Conservative vote more severely with Farage back in charge; though to counter that Labour's chances of regaining the 'Red Wall' could be hindered. Hill's are now 10/1 so I can congratulate myself on moving the market :)

Anyway, that is likely to be my only bet and it will help keep me awake into the small hours of election night

I was in the shop at 11am and some racing from courses I've never heard of were being broadcast. Presumably southern hemisphere and/or far east. One old bloke and two bored cashiers made up the throng

I hope you're back in there to collect on Friday, 5th July, tbf.

The latest projection - based on a BBC poll of polls and using an online user-defined poll predictor - I did actually gave Labour exactly 500 seats.

Last edited:
4th June BBC Poll of Polls
Labour 44%
Conservatives 24%
Reform UK 12%
Liberal Democrats 9%
Green 5%

Current result using predictive website
Labour Majority: 328 (488 seats)

Back