1000 Guineas (and beyond)

I'm struggling to form a strong opinion about any of the principles in this and when that happens I normally back something at bigger prices. The two I like are Lady Darshaan and Pipette... The former should probably have won the fillies mile and although the form is probably weak for a group 1 I think she is over priced. As for Balding's filly I was really impressed with her comeback run and she's a good looking well made filly who will be ready to run. The rain should take the sting out of the ground which will help her being by pivotal and I have a lot of time for her trainer so i'm going to back both e/w.

Plenty of rain forecast for tonight - conditions coming right for her.

It's absolutely pissing it down where I am in London and BBC Weather forecasts rain for Newmarket every day until Sunday.

With that, I've backed Devoted To You at 33/1, she'll have come on for her run, stay the trip and handle the ground.

I didnt watch the last couple of races at Newmarket - any signs of the rain arriving?

Presumably Seta will go off favourite if it does come.

It depends how much rain arrives. The ground was very soft for Special Duty's first run. Please god we don't have another farce like Speciosa's year.

It depends how much rain arrives. The ground was very soft for Special Duty's first run. Please god we don't have another farce like Speciosa's year.

She seemed to handle the ground ok when she ran at Maisons-Lafitte and Makfi won on the same card (and handled the ground at Newmarket today).

The Imprudence form took a boost today with the runner-up taking the Italian Guineas this afternoon.

Yeah - personally think that Joanna could be a bit special and she clocked what looked a cracking time last August at Deauville so being beaten by her is not something to be ashamed of. More worrying is Criquette Head's lack of winners so far this year (think she's on 2 or 3).

Anything there that someone chucked out as a no-hoper? Anyone bought for £2,000? They'll be bound to hack in!

I'm reading good/good to soft in places on the Sporting Life website. Anyone know what the current conditions are like? A dry morning/early afternoon could mean good ground by 3 o'Clock.

They've had plenty overnight so it is Good, Good to Soft at the moment with steady rain forecast all morning.

Gutted. I'd like to meet the twat who decided to move this race (is it the only Group 1 run in Britain on a sunday?) from it's old Friday slot.

Clerk of the course Michael Prosser said on Sunday morning: "Upto 6.30am this morning we had recieved six millimetres of rain so we changed the going to good, good to soft in places.
"We are forecast steady light rain until late morning before it clears away and that could possibly be between three and four millimetres."

Given the amount of water some tracks have been putting on this week to maintain good to firm, I'm slightly sceptical that 6mm will have slowed conditions that much. We'll have to see, shame my main fancu of the day is in the first!

Incidently, I have two spare premier badges for today on the desk at the course if anyone wants them?

I haven't been following the build up to this race (nor yesterday's for that matter) but I'm very surprised to see Special Duty so long in the betting. Have I missed something?

I've also taken a little ew on the Bolger filly. Can't imagine he'd bring her across if she wasa no-hoper.

The first two look very opposable with the ground on soft side.

I've had a small interest in Sent From Heaven. Gorgeous big filly who travelled through her races really stylishly last year. Didn't get the mile last year at Ascot having again travelled like a really good filly but I'd be fairly hopeful she will get it today especially with the rain coming for her. In truth, the May Hill/Fillies Mile form looks pretty tight and not hugely impressive either but she looks the most likely of those to be seen to best effect today and 40/1 is too big for me.

I actually thought Special Duty won the Cheveley Park like a filly who would get further (lengthening rather quickening if that makes any sense) and is a stand-out on form. The rain is enough to put me off. I'm not buying into the hard on a fair few seem to have regarding the Nell Gywnn myself; to me it looked like the front runners went overly hard early on and probably set it up for those coming from off the pace.

Last edited:
Might be worth noting that carrying a kilogram less Special Duty ran 0.40 seconds quicker than Makfi did over the same CD on the same day ;)

Back