1000 Guineas (and beyond)

...as much as I adore Henry Cecil and can't abide the French, they called the right result. I didn't have a penny on her.

Get your revenge for the "farce" of Speciosa's win? :p

I was thinking more Dar Re Mi in the Vermeille. I backed Nannina in Speciosa's Guineas and although she did ended up being the best filly in the race you can't say for sure she'd have won if the ground had been fast.

Penny has finally dropped with the jockeys by the time we get to the shitty sprint handicap that the near side is the place to be.

Honestly.

I'm still in shock that the stewards did the right thing for once.

I was consoling myself with the fact that Henry Cecil had won and that the pictures of the filly licking the owner's face made great TV.

Tom Queally is usually a negative for me and he got it badly wrong there. I'm surprised Cecil sticks by him.

Right decision by the stewards by bitterly disappointing for connections of the second. Interesting to see the outcome if they meet again later in the season.

I think it was a very tight call, maybe the fair one.

About the race
I think all the best horses were on the far side and that group had a 20 pounds disavantage on the ground and expect the ones of that group to beat the fillies theat won today.

I think it was a very tight call, maybe the fair one.

About the race
I think all the best horses were on the far side and that group had a 20 pounds disavantage on the ground and expect the ones of that group to beat the fillies theat won today.

surely Newmarket is a very fair track isn't it? :p

Yes, and what a lovely lady Criquette is, too, having gone over to congratulate him when she thought he'd won. She managed to look highly relieved, yet rather embarrassed, at the same time when the reversals were announced. Well worth the trip by Eurostar!

:lol: I do, I do! WHY is Henry not a 'sir' by now? With all sorts of awards lobbed out for managing to deliver milk for 30 years or cut old ladies' hair, this seems a huge oversight on behalf of Buck Palace. The old stuff about being divorced seems no bar to people receiving gongs - why, even snooker cheats can have one! (Although 'Iggins wasn't known to be cheating then, I realise.)

why, even snooker cheats can have one! (Although 'Iggins wasn't known to be cheating then, I realise.)

Given you hauled me over the coals over my Howling comments, this is pretty close to the bone Kri! He hasn't been proved a cheat yet!

Agree about Cecil though, absolute gent and handled Cattermole's immature questions very well. Liked his story about wearing number 7 at Eton and it not being lucky!

I don't think Professor Higgins has to be proved to be a cheat, based on the pretty strong evidence of him being filmed agreeing to throw frames, Gamla! Other than him signing an affidavit to do so, it looks pretty nailed-on to me. This story about being in fear for their lives - oh, come now, do they look like two terrified little kittens to you?

Yes, what is Cattermole's problem with being so gauche all the time he has to interview anyone? It's not like he hasn't been around courses for years, commentating and generally rubbing shoulders with owners and trainers. Yet he can't interview to save his life. Maybe that should be one criterion? Make a muck-up and you're publicly shot after the Seller. That'd concentrate their minds!

I decided that snooker was bent many years ago after the famous final when Denis Taylor beat Steve Davis, almost as big a fiddle as Frankies super seven.

I'm sure every single professional sport has its rogues. Hard to think of one where there hasn't been the whiff of something nasty. Golf has only thrown up one known mass adulterer, but God knows how many others are wiping their brows and thinking, "Phew!". And that's a personal issue, what the rags love to call a 'love cheat'. Devastating for the wives concerned, but not for the sport per se. The trouble is that as soon as one high-profile twerp is highlighted, the public begins to tar the whole sport with the same brush.

Horse-racing, dog racing, football, baseball, athletics, gymnastics, all sorts of sports have had a dreadful time in the media - and probably will continue to do so. Where there's monster money to be made from betting, you know corruption will always be there. When people can win huge endorsement or other contracts from their professional status, you know that greed can supercede ethics. Although one would have to wonder if the ethics were there in the first place.

I decided that snooker was bent many years ago after the famous final when Denis Taylor beat Steve Davis

I actually backed Taylor at 40/1 in that tournament and ws delighted of course. But that has been more than rumoured for many years.

Stopped following the sport many many years ago.

I'd always thought it was so difficult to make the shots good, that to make one bad deliberately would've been even more troublesome - never crossed my mind that one could 'pull' a frame. So much skill involved, just mere centimetres needed sometimes, that I didn't think it could be done. Another bubble burst!

I actually backed Taylor at 40/1 in that tournament and ws delighted of course. But that has been more than rumoured for many years.

Stopped following the sport many many years ago.

thats best bit of aftertiming ever Clive :lol:

i wonder what price he would have been on betfair.. had it existed... after the first session:p

I'd always thought it was so difficult to make the shots good, that to make one bad deliberately would've been even more troublesome - never crossed my mind that one could 'pull' a frame. So much skill involved, just mere centimetres needed sometimes, that I didn't think it could be done. Another bubble burst!

It's pretty easy to miss a pot by a small margin.

Back