1000 Guineas

It was my view at Ascot last season that RAINBOW VIEW beat Fantasia despite being significantly below her best and I was relieved that she got away with it, a mark of how good she is that she was able to do that. Therefore I most certainly would not expect the Cumani filly to turn around the form.

Interesting stuff, UG. What makes you think she was below her best at Ascot?

I took the view that Fantasia was a classy 2yo in her own right (and would have been worthy Fillies Mile winner), thus making Rainbow View's performance that of one of the best 2yo fillies of recent times. Indeed, I can remember stating (to much ridicule!) that she was the best 2yo filly I've seen.

Spot on. Seriously tempted to take a chance she`ll run and pile on at 7/2. If i`m the owner i`d be worried about Rainbow View getting turned over in the Guineas with Fantasia sat in her box.

My gut feeling is that Fantasia will still go to France with Dettori as her partner. Rainbow View looks pretty good to me for Newmarket. I think Strawbridge would rather win two Guineas than spoil the chances of his other good thing.

If you still fancy Fantasia at Newmarket back her at Coral with a run (was 7/4 last time I looked).

Last edited:
She's out...

THE possibility of a mouth-watering clash between fillies Rainbow View and Fantasia in the 1,000 Guineas was ruled out on Friday night with the owner George Strawbridge's racing manager saying the pair would be kept apart, with Fantasia likely to head to the French equivalent.

Racing manager James Wigan said: "Mr Strawbridge has decided that the two will be kept apart. It is not often an owner has a chance to have a shot at two Classics. Both will be left in the 1,000 Guineas, but if bookmakers want to still quote Fantasia for the 1,000 Guineas they should do so with a run."

Bugger, was hoping I'd get a better price about Serious Attitude.

Glad I laid off yesterday, and there was someone willing to lay her!
Shame though, I think she'd have won it, and Cumani must be quite frustrated
The French Guineas is a nice G1 race but it just doesn't have the prestige

Back to the drawing board...

Will be interesting to see which one of them goes for the Irish Guineas and even more interesting to see if they meet at any point this season.

Fantasia was owned partly by Cumani's own Fittocks Stud - I doubt Strawbridge would have been the only bidder but may well have been the one happy to let Cumani keep her .

Hence , if you sell the horse to the owner of the 1000 Guineas favourite he can't really complain that Fantasia is diverted.

Watching that RK interview with Gosden yesterday in which RV looked even more bonkers than ever . I wonder whether they think RV might boil over for good and they have to look very short term with her.

If she is in her awesome May Hill form however there is only one winner .

Fantasia if she wins in France must go for the Oaks - she is bred to be top class over middle distances and despite the Blue Duster relationship didn't her dam win over 10f ?

So nearly time for the decs... reckon they'll be any surprises?

Wonder what our Jim has up his sleeve this morning.

Again
Aspen Darlin (IRE) (Sheepskin C/P) Jimmy Quinn
Cuis Ghaire (IRE) K. J. Manning
Devotee (USA) (Tongue Strap) L. Dettori
Ghanaati (USA) R. Hills
Heart Shaped (USA) J. Murtagh
Lahaleeb (IRE) Darryll Holland
Nashmiah (IRE) Jamie Spencer
Penny's Gift Richard Hughes
Pursuit of Glory (IRE) W. M. Lordan
Rainbow View (USA) Jimmy Fortune
Seradim S. Pasquier
Serious Attitude (IRE) P. J. Smullen
Shimah (USA) D. P. McDonogh
Super Sleuth (IRE) Martin Dwyer

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

New to this forum but been posting elsewhere for many a moon.

I backed Again (60's) and Shimah (25's) sometime ago to smallish stakes. I should be able to trade out on Again for a free bet with all the rest of my money going on Rainbow View. In my opinion these are the two solid english/irish form lines. Shimah did exceptionally well to get 2nd in the Moyglare given her breeding and this ground shoud suit her better. Her breeding suggests she may struggle to get the mile but that Moyglare effort gives me hope. RV is by far the most likely winner though and I think this will be her day in the sun.

I do respect Cuis Ghaire as well and she would be my main worry against the three. She has a very similar profile to Henrythenavigator last year in that she's been overlooked due to a bad run on completely unsuitable ground. Other than that her form is rock solid.

Welcome Aragorn, good to see you posting.

I would worry about Again on fast ground over a mile while as you said the mile for Shimah might just be too far for her.

Hi Galileo,

I agree both have potential flaws and have taken a bit of a punt on both of them (The moyglare doesn't have the best record of late either) but at the prices they are my alternatives to the favourite.

Prendergast was very sweet on Shimah last year saying she was the best he'd had for a long time and I would be keener on her chances come sunday. I will be there saturday but have absolutely no idea what will win the 2000!!! Ripe for an upset in my opinion.

Just saw this in Sporting Life.

"We'll run Cuis Ghaire on Sunday and I would be hoping it wouldn't get too fast as it's early in the year and they have to last the whole year," said Bolger.

Good to firm and even firm didn't bother him when it came to running Finsceal Beo 2/3 times in quick succession in early season in both 2007 and 2008. ;)

Can it be that wily Jim has learned something at this stage of his career from his aggressive handling of FB?

BTW I really like Cuis Ghaire and wish her well on Sunday.

Sounds like it has all the classic hallmarks of a late N/R to me:lol:

Since when has Bolger ever taken a long term view to his campaigns? He's always struck me very as one who believes in making hay while the sun shines, FB being one example but Teofilo, New Approach and Intense Focus were all given heavy 2yo campaigns, the decision to do so with the former almost stands as vindication you might argue.

I think FB he got all wrong, though I admire the fact he wanted to achieve the 3 Guineas, as it would have been a memorable achievement.

As for the colts and Lush Lashes (& Alexander Goldrun) he has shown a rare ability to run his horses regularly (without overracing) and keep them at a peak.

Communication criticism aside, he must be in the absolute top bracket of trainers.

Shimah is a fair price at 20-1, she may stay 1 mile on fast ground, may depend on the pace of the race.

Have to be quick as I need get some sleep for the long drive to HQ but Super Sleuth for me.

Rainbow View deserves to be favourite and there's no question about that but I couldn't back her at that price without a run this year. Super Sleuth was unlucky to get beat by Lahaleeb in the Fred Darling, I thought Frankie went a little too soon on her and thus got caught, it was a quick time and the form stacks up well, albeit at a lesser level than the fav's. She's got a low draw and if Saturday night's forecast rain gets into the ground, she could well do a Speciosa/Natagora and grind it out from the front. Shimah and Again interested me but I thought their form was at a lesser level and the Meehan filly will probably come on again for her Fred Darling outing I suspect. 33/1 is far too big.

Have to be quick as I need get some sleep for the long drive to HQ but Super Sleuth for me.

Rainbow View deserves to be favourite and there's no question about that but I couldn't back her at that price without a run this year. Super Sleuth was unlucky to get beat by Lahaleeb in the Fred Darling, I thought Frankie went a little too soon on her and thus got caught, it was a quick time and the form stacks up well, albeit at a lesser level than the fav's. She's got a low draw and if Saturday night's forecast rain gets into the ground, she could well do a Speciosa/Natagora and grind it out from the front. Shimah and Again interested me but I thought their form was at a lesser level and the Meehan filly will probably come on again for her Fred Darling outing I suspect. 33/1 is far too big.

James Willoughby goes for SS, for what it's worth.

Again only runs if it rains tonight.

Just have a feeling in my bones that Pursuit Of Glory will run a big big race tomorrow at a decent price.

when did the May Hill winner at Doncaster last throw up a guineas winner?

I could check but I'm tired ;)

I get the feeling that Rainbow View is a stayer rather than a miler.

checked the May Hill since 91

apart form a couple of minor race wins at 8f most May Hill winners are 10f/12f horses as 3yo..its quite a stamina test for a 2yo is the May Hill..round mile..long straight etc...a bit different to the cut and thrust of a Guineas

on top of that...reading some of the comments in RP past race analysis...maybe some of you have a view on these

1. Gosden not hard on his fillies in the spring
1. RV looked like she wouldn't grow much over winter

looking like serious lay material???

Back