1000 Guineas

Not really.

Look at what her half sister did and look at the trainers comments from last year. She's small and lacks scope and given Godolophins recent record in the guineas can you give me any reasons why she will?

She may train on but my educated guess says she won't. Anyone know if she stayed in the UK?

Agree re Godolphins recent record and the outfit don't look like the force of old to me. My view is that I felt she won all her races well last year and if she has matured/filled out then she'll be a tough horse to beat. In any case, if she had trained on the money would probably have started to trickle on and I've not seen any shortening yet. I'm just going on how she won her races and over a mile whereas some of the other early principles haven't run that far.

I also quite like Just the judge for the Hills stable especially having won over the course.

From the write up she won cosily by a neck. Looks like she'll get the mile as well. Big player.

From the write up she won cosily by a neck. Looks like she'll get the mile as well. Big player.

I agree. I've seen the race now - thanks, Col - and it was a typical French affair, steadily-run, won by the best filly but with the winning margin underplaying her superiority. It looks like she'll be coming over and she has a favourite's chance, for me. That turn of foot will always stand her in good stead.

Indeed. I had a few quid to cover most of my Big Break stake yesterday prior to the race in the guineas market, which i'm glad I did now.

Big Break is friendless on BF as well....

Charlie Hills intends to give Just The Judge a racecourse gallop at HQ on Wednesday: "...it's no point running her in the Nell Gwynn as she has already won a Group 2...and the Guineas comes soon enough."

This sort of thing really irritates me. It's obviously the prerogative of connections to do what they want but what does it say about the state of things that a horse is galloping on a track on the same day that a race that has always been a recognised trial takes place on the same strip of ground?

And it's not just the Flat.

but what does it say about the state of things that a horse is galloping on a track on the same day that a race that has always been a recognised trial takes place on the same strip of ground?

Each trainer tends to have their own slot as well.

I wouldn't mind so much if multiple trainers at the same time could use the feature.

Of course it would cost the course in terms of ground staff etc. but maybe a bookmaker could sponsor the event and pay a levy.

They could get their money back from betting on the action and everybody is happy.

A bit too old school though I guess.

Lee

Last edited:
Each trainer tends to have their own slot as well.

I wouldn't mind so much if multiple trainers at the same time could use the feature.

Of course it would cost the course in terms of ground staff etc. but maybe a bookmaker could sponsor the event and pay a levy.

They could get their money back from betting on the action and everybody is happy.

A bit too old school though I guess.

Lee

That sounds a bit like a race to me. Maybe they could just use the Nell Gwyn.

Charlie Hills intends to give Just The Judge a racecourse gallop at HQ on Wednesday: "...it's no point running her in the Nell Gwynn as she has already won a Group 2...and the Guineas comes soon enough."

This sort of thing really irritates me. It's obviously the prerogative of connections to do what they want but what does it say about the state of things that a horse is galloping on a track on the same day that a race that has always been a recognised trial takes place on the same strip of ground?

The Frankel one was the most ridiculous, 2 stablemates, including jockeys in silks, the day after a perfcetly good race he could have run in, the Joel Stakes.

I agree - I don't think it should be allowed.

Ballydoyle must be supplementing Moth as she's into 12 on the machine.

Bit short? She won well the other day but its a huge step up in class as it wasn't a great field...

Shaping up for another shock this is. I struggle to back fillies that haven't had a prep for this. Couldn't have the front 2 at the prices without a run and the French filly has found her true price.

Waterway Run looks a bit interesting, I backed her at the Breeders and don't think she enjoyed the track. Back at Newmarket next week, she might show her true self again but nothing to get too excited about.

Disgrace that Uncle Clive only has one no hoper entered. Can't he supplement something?!

Pebbles
Oh So Sharp
Midway Lady
Miesque
Ravinella
Salsabil
Shadayid
Hatoof
Sayyedati
Harayir
Bosra sham
Sleepy time
Cape verdi
Kazzia
Russian rythm
Attraction
Finsceal beo
Natagora
Ghannati

Not bad at all

Shaping up for another shock this is. I struggle to back fillies that haven't had a prep for this. Couldn't have the front 2 at the prices without a run and the French filly has found her true price.

Given the unusually cold spring I cannot have any filly trained here or in Ireland running the race without a prep. I still think What a Name is value but I'm always biased towards French fillies in this and also fillies who have run against colts (as Harayir and Moonlight Cloud did)

Interesting Nargys has been nibbled at. May not have beaten Just The Judge in the Rockfel with a clear run, but would surely have got a good deal closer. Wouldn't have them so far apart myself.

Backed Certify after her maiden win. Unsurprisingly have little confidence in that by now. Can't imagine I'll touch the race again until decs time.

I thought Hot Snap was very impressive today and the placed horses Sky Lantern and Winning Express both have Group 1 form and the rest were beaten out of sight - half sister to Midday as well . Big player for the Guineas.

HRAC's 9th Nell Gwyn winner but his first for 26 years !

Last edited:
Totally agree and surprised there wasnt more response here. Noticably not backed too which augers well for improvement. couldnt fault that on any level

It's difficult to crab Hot Snap's run yesterday. Very solid in both form and time terms and she clearly goes to the Guineas with a big chance. Nargys did nothing for the Rockfel form but, predictably, Just The Judge's price didn't move with a single firm. Her racecourse gallop was singularly uninformative, it seemed to me.

It was one of those frustrating days for those of us who work and watch the racing on Sky+ when we get home. You just knew the quotes for Hot Snap bandied about on Racing UK immediately after the race - 10s and 8s - would have long gone and so it proved.

Back