1000 Guineas

Working well at home, has a master who will have her spot on, reckon she will be closer to 2s or shorter

Things very much went her way in the Nell Gwyn. She was tapped for toe at one point and a gap opened when she needed it. I don't think she's as bad a price as Just the Judge and this Moth creature no one's ever heard are but I'd sooner back Sky Lantern each way if I'd not had a bet already. A feature of both Guineas is big priced animals reaching the frame who have been beaten in trials.

Last edited:
Awaay. Olympic Glory gives her form a very solid look

Mikel Delzangles feels French challenger What A Name is an "improved" horse as the French handler seeks a second Newmarket Classic in Sunday's Qipco 1000 Guineas.
A daughter of Mr Greeley, What A Name won two of her four starts as a juvenile and ran top colt Olympic Glory to within two lengths in the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere at Longchamp on Arc day.
She reappeared at Maisons-Laffitte in the Prix Imprudence, easing to what was ultimately a cosy success.
Delzangles, who won the 2000 Guineas in 2010 with Makfi, said: "I am very pleased with her and she has improved since winning the Prix Imprudence.
"That was the perfect comeback for her as she did not have a hard race and was only 80 per cent fit.
"I would prefer fast ground for her on Sunday and I do not think that the step up to a mile will be any problem. She is a very easy horse to ride as she never pulls."

Not a surprise.. I got the jitters about this a while ago so my losses have been minimised. Still expect her to turn out to be a good un.

Fifteen declared with no real surprises.

The draw is interesting. The stalls are in the middle. Virtually all the unfancied runners are drawn low (far side) and all the fancied ones drawn high (near side).

Laying Just The Judge in the place market is the way to go, I think.

Can't have Sir Henry's at all got to be What A Name who looks solid and hope nothing jumps out of the woodwork and causes an upset.

this is a case when I think I am very right but so many people disagreeing make you think

I think What A Name form is very weak ( I have her 109+) and the best I see her is being 3rd or 4th, her 2yo form has not worked and the Imprudence was nothing special.

Ramsmeyaa (104p) is an unknown and could be anything but has to improve a lot on a new ground.

Just The Judge (108+) another one the 2yo form has not worked very well, pedigree suggests she will need a longer distance and softer ground.

Sky Latern 113+ is the main danger to my selection, run a good trial and has developed into a good specimen, place chance

finally the winner
Hot Snap, green last time able to put a 117P , good pedigree , trained by Cecil will improve for the run and 8f will suit much better, I think she is going to do a Finsceal Beo here, 3/1 in the morning good price, she should win.

I hope it is a better race than last year's. APOB's Homecoming Queen like Virginia Waters before her was a lousy winner of the race.

Snow Queen looks a similarly impossible to find O'Brien winner this year. She is hardy and O'Brien doesnt seem to mind running these fillies as they develop. Thought she might be the type to develop but would have preferred to run better on her reappearance. Sneaky saver on her.

Hot Snap looks hard to get beat.

I think it looks a pretty ordinary race.

For that reason I'm siding with What A Name. Any filly thought highly enough of to be pitched in against the colts as a juvenile must be alright.

I've also saved on Rasmeyaa. Hamdan Al Maktoum doesn't often send them here without a shout and the fact they're sending one so apparently unexposed might be significant. I think the last time the owner did it Ghanaati provided a 20/1 'upset' before proving herself a decent winner by going on to follow up at Ascot.

I would absolutely love to see Winning Express win this race for Ed Mcmahon but i just can't see her staying the 1 mile in this company being out of Camacho whose progeny simply haven't got a mile, was barged about in the Nell Gwyn when about to make her run 1f out and did stay on well for 3rd but has to find a fair bit with Hot Snap and the 2nd. Does possess a terrific turn of foot though but think will prove best at 6fs. May well trade a lot shorter IR.

you're right camachos generally don't stay but her dam side is stout,could run a nice race

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to see Winning Express win this race for Ed Mcmahon but i just can't see her staying the 1 mile in this company being out of Camacho whose progeny simply haven't got a mile, was barged about in the Nell Gwyn when about to make her run 1f out and did stay on well for 3rd but has to find a fair bit with Hot Snap and the 2nd. Does possess a terrific turn of foot though but think will prove best at 6fs. May well trade a lot shorter IR.

Traded at 2.3, ran a great race just didn't stay!:)

One of the poorer renewals, I reckon.

Like Toronado, could Hot Snap have left her Guineas behind in her trial?

Back