1000 Guineas

Softer ground would have seen Snow Queen winning. Poor renewal but good race and lots of nice fillies.

Sky Lantern was the only G 1 winner in the race given a brave and very good ride - the runner up ran a blinder but the unlucky looking horse was Maureen came from miles back and found loads of trouble - should have been in the frame.

As for Hot Snap - Queally another shocking ride - gave her no cover and she was a spent force two out .

Last edited:
Not familiar with Just the Judge's sire, Lawman [?]. Interesting to hear about Maureen as I felt she had as good a chance of winning as Sky Lantern.

Won a poor Jockey Club (like there is any other kind since they reduced the distance) and had Most Improved last year.

Excellent comment Ardross.
He's of course another sire from the Northern Dancer line being a son of Green Desert's good son Invincible Spirit. However he's not inbred particularly to ND, having only a 4 X 5 cross, with the second line surprisingly coming through Nijinsky on the dam's side.
His distaff side is interesting to those with too many miles on the clock though, as he traces back to the great family of Jim Joel's Childwick Bury Stud. That's the family of Fairy Footsteps, Light Cavalry and of course Royal Palace: plus many others.

Sky Lantern was the only G 1 winner in the race given a brave and very good ride - the runner up ran a blinder but the unlucky looking horse was Maureen came from miles back and found loads of trouble - should have been in the frame.

As for Hot Snap - Queally another shocking ride - gave her no cover and she was a spent force two out .

Joseph also left Moth with plenty to do. She was running around and bumped when making her move. Will stay further.

Maureen not even in the betting for the Oaks. Ran like would be worth a try at the trip. Does her breeding suggest definite non-stayer?

Maureen not even in the betting for the Oaks. Ran like would be worth a try at the trip. Does her breeding suggest definite non-stayer?

No prepotent stamina influences, but her damsire has an AWD for his progeny of 11.1f. Sire 7.6f. Others appeal more at 12 furlongs.

Thanks Steve. I'm assuming from the fact she's not in the betting that she isn't entered at present either.

By the way, who does the top form line in your signature belong to? I've worked out the other three.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Bookended by 5 is a strong clue... The imperious Baracouda, just about my favourite staying hurdler.[/FONT]

In fairness Hot Snap looked shot way out.Not sure if you can point the finger at Queally , she was badly out of sorts.Connections have pretty much said the same.

I doubt she was at her best but parking an inexperienced filly on the outside with no cover so she appeared to be over racing for the first half mile still strikes me as a bad ride .

I doubt she was at her best but parking an inexperienced filly on the outside with no cover so she appeared to be over racing for the first half mile still strikes me as a bad ride .

I don't see how that is any different to the ride she got in the Nell Gwyn?

Ardross,

Although I understand that Queally makes his mistakes, criticism of his 1000 Guineas ride or similar performances strikes me as overdoing it. It makes me think you have something against the man, and it makes me take your criticism of him with a pinch of salt. In fact, I have given up giving your Queally posts any credence.

Back