2000 Guineas

Ibn Khaldun? Surely Arab/Irish bickering?

(PS..I heard Rio was out of sorts with the trainer. Apparently he organised a party at Christmas for the stable and about 100 slut fillies turned up....)

Agree milo - RDLP would be a penalty kick at Longchamp unless something comes out of the woodwork in the trials.

Originally posted by milo@Feb 26 2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks Chris, i think i will have a small anti post bet on Confront for the Derby, Stoute must think alot of the horse to enter him for the Gpr 1 RPT. Thanks for the Ibn Khaldun update, great to hear he is progressing nicely. I have also read that Godolphins Screen Star is being trained for the Oaks.
Stoute had about 15 entered as yearlings;

I wouldn't look too much into Confront, he was a big baby last year.

Kensington Oval would be my pick of the Stoute 3yos, with Majestic Marauder not far behind.

Screen Star is nice yes, be surprised if she was Oak's class mind.

Kensington Oval , nice pedigree, as yet unraced ( stamina laden pedigree ). Last horse to win the Derby unraced as a 2yo , 1993 C in C ( i think). Yes Stoute has a lot of horses to choose from , including a full brother to Golan. But of Confront by Nayef out of a half sister to Reams of Verse. The horse he beat at Ascot ,Stimulation should of won the Grp 3 Horris Hill (imo) not the best of rides by S.Drowne. Now i Know you should not compare race times, on different days at the same course, and horses improve at different rates, but i will.
Ravens Pass Ascot 7F ( Good ground) 1m30.54s
Ibn Khaldun Ascot 7F ( Good ground) 1m28.14s
Confront Ascot 7F ( Good to Soft) 1m28.77s.

Confronts time looks good to me, i hope he continues to improve and make up into a classic contender.

All I'm saying is he missed the Racing Post for a reason and thats why he isn't back cantering yet. Also he was very keen at home on the gallops and I would be very surprised if he got 12f.

They said they wanted to give him more time between his races ( at least that is what the press reported). If that is true they obviously think he has a future, i agree about him not staying the Derby trip, but then again time will tell. Its too late, i have backed him anyway.

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Feb 26 2008, 10:59 AM
On his R-Post win I think he would have gone very close in the Dewhurst
A line through City Leader leaves him about five lengths back in the Dewhurst, though he won very well at Doncaster.

Would fast ground be a concern for Ibn Khaldun at Newmarket?

Originally posted by trackside528@Feb 26 2008, 11:00 PM

Would fast ground be a concern for Ibn Khaldun at Newmarket?
Only in that he`d need a pair of binoculours for a close-up of the winners arse.

I have noticed a pattern with Stoutes Derby contenders
North Light , 2 races as a 2yo, 1 prep race as a 3yo, then the Derby.
Kris Kin ( as above ).
Dilshann ( as above).
Confront, 2 races as a 2yo, 1 prep race as a 3yo?, then the Derby?
Confront may pull hard on the gallops, but so far in his races he settles beautifully.
One negative about Confront is he is from the Mr Prospector sire line which has yet to produce a Epsom Derby winner.

I have just read on Betfair forum that Majestic Marauder has been bought by Godolphin ( not checked if this is true).
Chris if a horse was being aimed for the Guineas when would it need to be back in training ( at the latest ) ?

Will find out about Majestic Marauder, I hope he hasn't and its unlikely Syoutey would sell him but will ask,

Nothing bar Stoutes Lincoln horse and a couple of maidens are back in work. It wouldn't worry me too much not to see a Guineas prospect back in full work as yet, but not cantering would worry me as its only 10 weeks to the Guineas and your looking at 3 weeks of steady work, 4 weeks of fast work, so your looking to have one out for a prep 3 weeks before the race. If a horse was going straight for the Guineas it wouldn't worry me too much.

Can confirm Majestic Marauder has joined Godolphin and is currently injured.

Also Skadrak who is a lovely colt has joined Brian Meehan from Peter Chapple-Hyam.

He is my favourite maiden in training as many know.

He was injured when he left Stoutes, he came back lame from his Ascot run and he hasn't been right since, told he's back on the walker, but its a slow process. He didn't go out to Dubai.

Teddy Grimthorpe ( Racing Manager) just e-mailed , to say all is well with Confront, but future race plans have yet to be decided, and they are hoping he makes up into a decent prospect.

From Setanta Sports:

On the day the flat season recommences in Ireland, setantasports.com hears exclusively from Jim Bolger on his thoughts ahead of what is likely to be another vintage year for the Coolcullen handler.

New Approach is hot favourite for the Stan James 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, while also heading the market for the Derby at Epsom.

Lush Lashes, meanwhile, won the Fillies' Million at The Curragh last year and has a host of options including the English and Irish Guineas and both Oaks.

Saoirse Abu, a game victor in last year's Moyglare Stud Stakes, is to go straight to Newmarket for the English 1000 Guineas.

S: How is New Approach?

JB: "He's very well. I haven't had a two-year-old to thrive like he has. He's a massive-looking horse at this stage; he's put on a lot of weight. He has muscled up well, he's finished all his slow cantering now and he's ready to step it up.

"I'm very happy with him - his mind is good and his body is good so I couldn't be happier with him.

"He'll go directly to Newmarket. I think he's both a Guineas and a Derby horse. He's well proven over seven furlongs, so I can't see that the Guineas trip is going to be any problem for him.

"Having trained the dam - she got a mile and a half well - and given that the sire [Galileo] obviously got a mile and a half well, it would be a surprise if he did not get a mile and a half."

You said after the Dewhurst that you 'over-did' the settling that day. What did you mean?

"After he ran at The Curragh, I didn't envisage running him again. Shortly before that, Sheikh Mohammed had bought a half-share in him. He expressed the wish about two weeks out before the Dewhurst that he could go to Newmarket.

"I had intended getting racing out of his mind - to get him to settle and lob along - and then I was going to lay him off for a couple of months.

"We just had the two weeks to rev him up again. I didn't really want to wake him up too much - we just did some half-speed work with him before the Dewhurst and we didn't have a great edge on him - he wasn't sharp on the day. He kind of fell out of the stalls and [Kevin Manning] sort of left him alone for a while to see would he pick up himself.

"He was still asleep at halfway so he had to get after him at that stage. He responded very well and it was a different type of race than anything he'd run in before that.

"It should have been a good experience for him even though he made it hard for himself - he was only really getting going at the line."

Are you afraid of anything he's run against beating him this year?

"I don't really see anything that was behind him beating him in the future - providing we can turn him out well."

He showed the odd quirk last year before and after races - is that a concern?

"He just had that thing about the archway at The Curragh. People kind of crowd around that and it gets very claustrophobic there. He kind of said no when we got to it so we didn't persevere. He does have those little traits about him, but over the winter he's grown up a bit more and I don't see it as being a huge problem.

"There are more ways to get him into the parade ring than going under the arch. He was fine at Newmarket. I don't see it as a problem at all."

You spoke about the brilliant Teofilo possibly going for the Triple Crown of Guineas, Derby and Leger as a three-year-old before he got injured. Is this a possibility for New Approach?

"The way racing has gone now and the stallion business, most owners - particularly those with the big studs - are not keen on the Leger.

"At that time, we owned Teofilo ourselves and we were game to give it a go. I had hoped that he could win the three races and then maybe keep him in training as a four-year-old.

"Anyway, that wasn't to be but if I owned one myself again and he looked like a horse that would stay the mile and six I'd be game to give it a go - I'd worry about the financial consequences afterwards."

He has plenty of options anyway...

"You could start off with the Guineas, then you have either the Epsom Derby or the Irish Guineas, then you have the Irish Derby after that, then you have the King George, York and the Arc. There are no shortage of top races for top horses.

Epsom?
That's the target anyway.

Lush Lashes looks pretty special?

"She's quite a talented filly. She's been lacking experience. She will probably have a Guineas trial.

"We have to see whether she'll go to the Guineas at Newmarket or The Curragh. If she stays at home, there's a Guineas trial at Leopardstown run over a mile that would suit her. If she were to go to Newmarket, it might be a little bit harder to fit in the Guineas trial as it's only over seven and the Athasi at The Curragh is only over seven.

"But no prep run wouldn't really bother me - she was able to win the Goffs Million on her debut and I think she's the only filly to win a million at her first attempt.

"I can see her getting a mile and a half. That opens up more possibilities for her."

And Saoirse Abu?

"She is also in at Newmarket - that's her big target at the moment. If she goes there, she will not have a run beforehand."

Interesting that New Approach was not fully wound up for the Dewhurst, must be plenty of improvement to come. Guineas , Derby double?

If the ground is fast New Approach will be outpaced like he was in the Dewhurst. Only Raven`s Pass wont be coming back to him this time.

They are not out yet but they will be released this week. They closed in Ireland yesterday but close in England today. So they should be released by Thursday.

Back