2000 Guineas

Agree about Raven's pass, and the current odds are quite tempting, but wondering what Gosden has in mind regarding his preparation?

With New Approach, his temperament before the race, and how he raced during the first 4 furlongs of the Dewhurst must be negatives, despite trainer's comments.

I do wonder whether Henry the Navigator may do better back on the probably quick surface. He at least represents a good trading opportunity if likely to take his chance.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Mar 17 2008, 09:57 AM
Can't be taking anything for granted about the ground at this stage.
What i mean, and should have clarified it, is that in all probability it should be quicker than the Dewhurst. Whether it is good to firm remains to be seen, of course.

I really liked the look of Jupiter Pluvius last year. Form probably doesn't amount to much (though the Killavullen probably isn't as weak as first appeared), but then again neither did Footstepsinthesand's.

I'm not convinced New Approach will train on.

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 17 2008, 11:40 AM
Alot can change, but I do not think Henry is the one to watch in the Guineas from Ballydoyle this year.
What price is he? The feckers here in work have enabled our firewalls on Firefox.

The only saving grace is that it was done the week after Cheltenham. Although I am worried about Punchestown and Aintree.

NowNowNow... Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf winner, in training with Wachman. 40/1 worth a squeak?

Entered in the Poulains too.

The fact Coolmore have not entered up Achill Island in the Guineas tells you all you need to know about the chances of Nownownow particularly on good ground.

I commented at the time of the switch that it was interesting what was behind him in the BCJT. I think you are over simplifying it a bit though.

Yes CONFRONT , i may have mentioned him for the Derby, looks like i got the wrong race. Pricewise 2 points win 2000 Guineas.

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 21 2008, 04:21 PM
Pricewise tips up Confront and Jupiter Pluvius for the Guineas.
:laughing:

I shouldn't laugh I know, but segal was bragging about haing backed Henrythenavigator for the 2008 Guineas before Cockney Rebel had won the 2007 renewal. Jupiter Pluvius's inclusion isn't that much of a surprise I suppose then

Originally posted by Warbler+Mar 21 2008, 06:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Warbler @ Mar 21 2008, 06:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Galileo@Mar 21 2008, 04:21 PM

I shouldn't laugh I know, but segal was bragging about haing backed Henrythenavigator for the 2008 Guineas before Cockney Rebel had won the 2007 renewal. Jupiter Pluvius's inclusion isn't that much of a surprise I suppose then [/b][/quote]
Willoughby seems particularly keen on JP as well.

Originally posted by Galileo+Mar 21 2008, 08:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galileo @ Mar 21 2008, 08:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Warbler@Mar 21 2008, 06:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Galileo
@Mar 21 2008, 04:21 PM

I shouldn't laugh I know, but segal was bragging about haing backed Henrythenavigator for the 2008 Guineas before Cockney Rebel had won the 2007 renewal. Jupiter Pluvius's inclusion isn't that much of a surprise I suppose then
Willoughby seems particularly keen on JP as well. [/b][/quote]
It should be about the form though. Did he win the same maiden as Footstepsinthesand? I think i read he did, but then again the latter won one of the worst Guineas i`ve seen.

He did not win the same maiden but the same Group race next time. I think he is more smitten by JP because he saw him in the flesh early last year at Ballydoyle and O'Brien was raving about the horse even back then.

Not sure how Rio de la plata is but I think he may have got a place if a runner however still believe New Aproach will be difficult to beat and as yet nothing to suggest he shouldnt win 2000 and Derby this year .. Ibn ran very well and would be a very real threat to New Approach..but the facts speak for themselves...lotsof talk recently about jupiter pluvius...and although he has done well still along way to go to get up with New Approach

Godolphin starting to formulate their plans...

CLASSIC STRING EXCITE GODOLPHIN
By PA Sport Staff
Godolphin look set to mount a strong challenge on the Classics this season, with Ibn Khaldun and Laureldean Gale among their brighter hopes.

Racing manager Simon Crisford confirmed the former, winner of the Racing Post Trophy in October, will be targeted at the Stan James 2000 Guineas at Newmarket on May 3.

Speaking at Godolphin's open day at Al Quoz stables in Dubai, Crisford said: "A homebred by Dubai Destination, he is a fantastic colt. He has had an excellent winter and is working very well.

"He is 60% fit at the moment and we have very strong hopes for him in the 2000 Guineas."

The Godolphin operation purchased Fast Company, formerly with Brian Meehan, after he finished a close second to the unbeaten New Approach in the Dewhurst.

While the team retain every faith in the son of Danehill Dancer, Crisford says he has not been setting the world alight at home.

"He has not been showing us a great deal this winter so far in his faster paces, but we know he is a good horse and are sure he will be much better when he gets to the racetrack," he said.

Fourth in the Dewhurst was Rio De La Plata, who, conversely, has been showing all the right signs.

"He has had a fantastic winter. He is moving well and training extremely well. We are very happy with him," Crisford continued.

"We may well run him in the French 2000 Guineas if we choose not to run him in the English 2000 Guineas."

McCartney was only seventh in the Dewhurst for Mark Johnston and is to be stepped up in trip at three.

"He has never had a good action throughout the winter but he is a very promising colt and goes for the Dante Stakes at York (May 15)," Crisford added on www.godolphin.com.

Among the fillies, Crisford has high hopes for Laureldean Gale, who has the Stan James 1000 Guineas as her primary objective.

"She was a very impressive winner of a maiden at Newmarket and later ran disappointingly in the Prix Marcel Boussac in France, but she got very excited in the pre-parade ring at Longchamp before that race," he said.

"She is going for the 1000 Guineas at Newmarket (May 4).

"She has had a very good winter and is working very well indeed. We hope we can see her back to her very best."

Screen Star outclassed her rivals by 11 lengths and more on her debut and is another expected to blossom at three.

"She is a homebred daughter of Tobougg and she won very, very impressively at Redcar," Crisford added.

"Unfortunately, she had an injury after that race and could not go for the May Hill at Doncaster.

"We want to run her over a mile in a York Listed race towards the end of May and we are hoping that maybe she will be good enough to represent the stable at Royal Ascot."

Back