2000 Guineas

QUOTE (clivex @ Apr 30 2008, 11:08 AM)
Thats all very well... but even before Fast Company's withdrawl, the vibes were poor...

Backed as low as 10s from 16s in the past two or three days and had worked well in two significant pieces of work before the "low blood count" yesterday evening. The vibes were anything but poor.

Fair enough...i missed that

although would have surely been a lot shorter to start with if he had been reported to have matured well over the winter...which wasnt the case. That was the info that had put me off

The Weekenders selections for the 2K:

Cullinan = Ibn Khaldun
Winstanley = Stimulation & Dream Eater
Segal = lay New Approach
Mordin = Ravens Pass
Edwards = New Approach
Molloy = Henrythenavigator
Hunter = Ibn Khaldun
Whitehouse-Jones = Jupietr Pluvius

So 8 selections and the first 6 in the market all covered. expect to see a plug in next weeks edition highlighting the fact that they gave us the winner :laughing:

Originally posted by clivex@Apr 30 2008, 01:58 PM
QUOTE (clivex @ Apr 30 2008, 11:08 AM)
Thats all very well... but even before Fast Company's withdrawl, the vibes were poor...

Backed as low as 10s from 16s in the past two or three days and had worked well in two significant pieces of work before the "low blood count" yesterday evening. The vibes were anything but poor.

Fair enough...i missed that

although would have surely been a lot shorter to start with if he had been reported to have matured well over the winter...which wasnt the case. That was the info that had put me off
It's quite understandable if you have been put off. Godolphin tend to be bullish about their flagship horses, buy up the opposition and then give them supporting roles, or worse sideline them. Added to this Fast Company is a notoriously lazy worker. They probably don't really know what they've got.

I've no doubt that if Brian Meehan still trained this horse he'd be second favourite now and taking part.

JP is now the shortest Ballydoyle horse with Betfair at 12/1....Ladbrokes have remained first leaving him at 10s and Henry as 12s.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Apr 29 2008, 10:26 PM
As I said, it was a blood issue, nothing to do with scoping.
Fast Company will not run in the English 2,000 Guineas following a poor blood count which was taken at evening stables on April 29.
Yes I know I should have said 'vetted' or tested but it doesn't change my point :)
Which was that the news came out at a very odd time

Apparently at some point today New Approach and RDLP were both listed on Oddschecker ar NR -
anyone know anything about that or whether it might be significant?

The blood test was taken at evening stables yesterday. The news was announced yesterday evening. What's odd about that?

The only significant thing about Oddschecker fucking up is that they do it so often.

Clearly things are done differently at Godolphin - I've never seen a blood test taken at evening stables, or indeed any sort of veterinary procedure done at that time. But as I said it might be different if you have your own vet as I presume they do

I would be worried about JP and Plan for another reason. I'm normally a follower of trends. Got absolutely walloped for it at Chelt, but that is another story......

I remember reading an analysis, I think it was in another forum, a couple of months ago about the type of animal necessary to win the Guineas. The theory goes something like, the earlier the horse is born the more likely it is to be advanced enough to do itself justice in the 2000.

Anyways, with more time than sense on my hands, I looked back through the DOB of all the 2000 winners on the RP site and came up with the following :-

2007 Cockney Rebel 16-Mar-04Q
2006 George Washington 01-Mar-03Q
2005 Footstepsinthesand 15-Feb-02Q
2004 Haafd 18-Feb-01Q
2003 Refuse to Bend 17-Mar-00Q
2002 Rock of Gibraltar 08-Mar-99Q
2001 Golan 24-Feb-98Q
2000 Kings Best 24-Jan-97Q
1999 Island Sands 27-Jan-96Q
1998 King of Kings 27-Feb-95Q
1997 Entrepreneur 07-Mar-94Q
1996 Mark of Esteem 26-Mar-93
1995 Pennekamp 26-Mar-92
1994 Mister Baileys 14-Feb-91Q
1993 Zafonic 01-Apr-90
1992 Rodrigo de Triano 27-May-89
1991 Mystiko 01-Mar-88Q
1990 Tirol 16-Mar-87Q
1989 Nashwan 01-Mar-86Q
1988 Doyoun 01-Jan-85Q

So to this years field :-
New Approach 18-Feb-05Q
Ravens Pass 17-Feb-05Q
Ibn Khaldun 14-Feb-05Q
HenrytheNavigator 28-Feb-05Q
Jupiter Pluvius 30-Mar-05
Plan 13-Apr-05
Perfect Stride 08-Apr-05
Rio del Plata 26-Mar-05
Stimulation 15-Feb-05Q

If you take the norm as middle of March, say the 17th then the top 4 all qualify, but look who doesn't.....

Of course, those of you who hate trend-spotters are now going to jump down my throat, but it's another way to analyze the field. Take it or leave it.

--D

Originally posted by SteveM@Apr 30 2008, 11:47 AM

[/quote]
Steve, ill let chris beek confirm, but im under the impression Fast Company had been working poor inthe last few weeks?

He's never really impressed from what I could gather and his workout on Tuesday morning shortly before his "blood test" was far from satisfying.

Ibn Khaldun completed prerperation this morning in fine style, as did Rio De La Plata who tracked him up.

Perfect Stride was ultra impressive this morning and I must say Fireside looked in top order yesterday.

Fast Company had never in Dubai nor back in Newmarket worked like a Guineas horse, mind you saying that most of the work in Dubai was on dirt.

From RP tomorrow........

Jupiter Pluvius 'not definite' to run in 2,000 Guineas
Jupiter Pluvius: "his scope wasn't 100 per cent clean this morning"

by Brian Fleming

AIDAN O'BRIEN has told the Racing Post that Jupiter Pluvius may not make the final field for the Stanjamesuk.com 2,000 Guineas with Johnny Murtagh set to switch to stablemate Henrythenavigator.

O'Brien said: "At the moment it's looking like Johnny will probably ride Henry and Plan is likely to run also but Jupiter Pluvius is not a definite to run as his scope wasn't 100 per cent clean this morning.

"It will be checked again in the morning and if he doesn't run it's possible he might run in the Tetrarch at the Curragh on Monday."

Newmarket still Good, Good To Soft after what looks like a pretty dry night. Given the forecast I would imagine it will be good again by Saturday.

(4) Alfathaa W. J. Haggas R. Hills
(8) Bahamian Kid R. Hollinshead Ted Durcan
(3) Dream Eater (IRE) A. M. Balding Martin Dwyer
(6) Fireside P. W. Chapple-Hyam Alan Munro
(10) Henrythenavigator A. P. O'Brien, Ireland
(9) Ibn Khaldun (USA) Saeed bin Suroor L. Dettori
(11) Moynahan (USA) P. F. I. Cole T. Quinn
(2) New Approach (IRE) J. S. Bolger, Ireland K. J. Manning
(5) Perfect Stride Sir Michael Stoute Ryan Moore
(1) Plan (USA) A. P. O'Brien, Ireland
(13) Raven's Pass (USA) J. H. M. Gosden Jimmy Fortune
(15) Scintillo R. Hannon Richard Hughes
(12) Stimulation (IRE) H. Morrison Steve Drowne
(14) Strike The Deal (USA) J. Noseda Eddie Ahern
(7) Stubbs Art (IRE) D. R. C. Elsworth Seb Sanders

Lots of dead wood in most of the big races now as owners want a runner regardless of ability.

I think the only danger to New Approach is Ibn Khaldun. Either way it should be a big day for the Sheikh and co.

3 Group 1 winners, 3 Group 1 placed, 1 Group 3 placed, a sales race winner, a nursery winner, 5 maiden winners and a maiden...

I am well aware that there are often big priced horses pop up in this race.

I am well aware that this post will likely come back to haunt me.

But the following horses are dead wood and should have no business in the Guineas:

Bahamian Kid (beaten miles in a maiden)
Stubbs Art (5th in a handicap off 87)
Scintillo (9th in the Craven and not up to much as a 2yo)
Dream Eater (won a substandard sales race and exposed as being a listed animal in all his runs apart from that)
Aflfathaa (5th in a poor Royal Lodge)

Back