2000 Guineas

Delighted to see the money for RVW for purely greedy reasons. I have had a little on Vocalised tonight as well....if he wins well tomorrow I think Bolger will run him in the Guineas.

Don't be put off MC, unless he's lost a leg since a couple of days ago he'll take the beating at the trip.

Rip Van Winkle has always been considered a better long term prospect, the market seems to be telling us he has come to hand nicely in the last week or so.

From the RP:

By Tony O'Hehir1.46PM 18 APR 2009
AIDAN O'BRIEN reported on Saturday that "everything is going to plan" with his stanjames.com 2,000 Guineas contenders, Mastercraftsman and Rip Van Winkle, after betting trends on Friday indicated support for Rip Van Winkle and unease in Mastercraftsman's price.

Mastercraftsman drifted to over 20-1 on Betfair before shortening while Rip Van Winkle was cut by most firms, with Ladbrokes going 6-1 (from 8-1).

O'Brien, who never comments on betting moves, said: "Both horses are doing their work and there have been no hiccups. Everything has gone to plan so far over the past few weeks. It's so far, so good with them."
O'Brien added that Heart Shaped is on-course for her 1,000 Guineas bid. "She is tipping away gradually and all is well with her so far."

Last edited:
"If you saw Mastercraftsman in the flesh you'd know anything MCM did at two would be improved upon as a three year old....big tall colt with plenty of strengthening to do."

Have you changed your mind about MCM Galileo?
I am relieved the drift in his odds is just a bookie´s reaction. For a moment the other day I thought the horse was a non-runner in the Guineas.

"If you saw Mastercraftsman in the flesh you'd know anything MCM did at two would be improved upon as a three year old....big tall colt with plenty of strengthening to do."

Have you changed your mind about MCM Galileo?
I am relieved the drift in his odds is just a bookie´s reaction. For a moment the other day I thought the horse was a non-runner in the Guineas.

I had never backed Mastercraftsman but I stand by what I said. There was nothing about him physically that suggested he should not improve from 2 to 3.

Vocalised isn't entered for Newmarket. I think Bolger has indicated he'll go to France for the Poulains and that Intense Focus is his 2000 Guineas horse.

Very true Gearoid, but wouldn't it be remiss of an odds compiler to price the horse up without taking into account that he's trained by the man responsible for 5 of the last 11 / 4 of the last 7 / 3 of the last 4 winners?

Fair point but you won me over by sneaking in the word remiss! 10/10

I am quite strong on both Arazan and Sea the Stars, both each way. Oxx knows his swans from his geese, and I think if Sea the Stars has been spotted by a few on here lately, then Arazan is becoming the forgotten horse of the race. He was very impressive winning the Futurity, and the National Stakes was run in very difficult conditions, which will bear little resemblance to the Guineas.

I wonder who Kinane will choose?

Delegator was impressive but you have to ask was he beating sub 105 rated horses, and I wouldn't fancy betting on a horse in the Guineas who will have to come through like he did in the Craven.

I don't fancy either of the Ballydoyle horses, nor Evasive, who is much too short.

If Cityscape was as short of work as Charlton communicated beforehand, he would be the third horse on my shortlist, running on well after seeming outpaced early on, with a step back up to a mile likely to suit well.

I'm sure there was a story on the RP site last night about Oxx galloping a couple of horses after racing yesterday but I can't find it now.

Anyway, Arazan running is apparently ground-dependent (they don't want it too fast) so I'd guess Kinane will be on Sea The Stars. Maybe Soumi will be called upon for Arazan!

Some have been raving about Sea the stars since they first saw him too ;). Dead right re: Oxx and Geese ansd Swans. If they go the Guineas they will have serious chances. From Oxx's last bulletin It read to me as if e's preparing to tell us Arazan won't run and Sea the Stars will. Arazan for the French Guineas, Sea the stars for Newmarket and Mourayan for Epsom at this stage for me.

Arazan Guineas and St James Palace

Sea The Stars Irish Guineas , Beresford y Irish Derby

Mourayan campaign in gr2

Back