2000 Guineas

I don`t think he`d have won. But it`s not as clear cut as High Chapparal`s year.

I think Meehan is a dick for not running Crowded House - and also for nominating the Breeders Cup Classic as his ultimate target. I wish the horse was with Cumani or Stoute.

I don`t think he`d have won. But it`s not as clear cut as High Chapparal`s year.

I think Meehan is a dick for not running Crowded House - and also for nominating the Breeders Cup Classic as his ultimate target. I wish the horse was with Cumani or Stoute.

My basic point was that 2 year old mile form does not equate to mile form as a 3 year old.

Of course not. But he`s not as stoutly bred as a lot of RP Trophy winners.

Nor was Ibn Kaldun and he was not up to a fast ground 2000 Guineas...still not seen since. All well and good looking good against a bunch of Derby/stayer type horses over a mile at two but its a different matter altogether against proper milers.

Significant that he ruled Crowded House out of the Guineas even before Delegator won today. Suggests he saw plenty on the gallops that suggests a mile would not suit.

Can understand the frustration if you backed him antepost but I would not put him not running down to the yard simply having another runner in the race.

Rip Van Winkle is surely going to be tough to beat. The Dewhurst form is best ignored..eased when it was realised he had been given too much to do...so not really bothered about the top 2yo race..would rather wait for another day. Easing up in a Group 1 is quite interesting...most horses would be pushed for a place...why bother with a place when you know the horse is good enough to win something better?

Delegator just doen't interest me..i'm sure he may be ok but the horse just hasn't captured my imagination.

RVW comfy on the day:cool:

This is the oldest cliche in the book but if Rip Van Winkle was trained by anybody else what price would he be.

This is the oldest cliche in the book but if Rip Van Winkle was trained by anybody else what price would he be.

It is remarkable that he is still so short given all that could be said about him e.g hype, poor form etc. But that in itself might be something.

I have him backed at big prices for the Guineas since last year but had virtually given up on him a few weeks back when he drifted. Grasping at straws perhaps but I am encouraged now that he has not drifted out more.

Very true Gearoid, but wouldn't it be remiss of an odds compiler to price the horse up without taking into account that he's trained by the man responsible for 5 of the last 11 / 4 of the last 7 / 3 of the last 4 winners?

most races each day at top course are priced on who trains them though - top trainers in the whole are top because they get the best horses- the best horses win the best races..in the main

so i don't really understand the logic behind it - if Mick Easterby trained it it would be running in a handicap off about 75 by now :blink:

what exactly has RVW done wrong? - he was badly placed pacewise in a race that no one will remember if he wins the big race

last years dewhurst was regarded as a none event/poor renewal

Last edited:
Must have missed that jft...I thought he was in training still.

I passed on the message to Jack myself today. With great disappointment Ibn has not benefited from his time off and failed to sparkle in early work. He is now at Dalham Hall and whilst he could be given more time the likelihood is he won't race again. I went up to see him this afternoon, a lovely horse who I admired and thought was something special. Was sad to see the fact he is not looking like he was 18 months ago but his problems have not gone away. He will be given time to recover but the fact is its unlikely he will grace the racetrack again.

Cheers for the info Flame.

Great pity, as he really was exactly what Godolphin needed; a home bred 2/3 year old good enough to win a classic.

Not very good vibes from the bookies for us, MCM´s backers today. It seems we will hear something negative about the horse´s prospects for the race in the near future.

Motivator probably had the best piece of form over a mile going into a Guineas but he would not have won it, nor would High Chapparal etc.

Delagator and Crowded House are not in the same ownership are they? I'd be surprised if the owners of Crowded House did not want to run in the Guineas if they genuinely thought he had the speed for the trip.

Crowded House is screaming out for middle distances. Connections are probably right to go the Dante-Derby route. By all accounts the colt already needs 10 furlongs.

Nice performance from Delegator. Very bullish reports prior to the race led me to have a decent bet at 8/11, as he had nothing much to beat after the withdrawal of the second fav (good run from the unexposed runner-up though). I can see him being placed in the Guineas. I've got four I'm considering, but MC still looks like it to me.

Not very good vibes from the bookies for us, MCM´s backers today. It seems we will hear something negative about the horse´s prospects for the race in the near future.

Gallops? I can`t view the Betfair forum itself, only the titles of the threads. If McM has drifted because of that then the layers are a lot of sheep.

Fux sake. I should never back AOB`s ante-post. I had Rock of Gibraltar for his Guineas and didn`t top up as I normally do because of all the shit that`s talked at that stable.

Rip the mover in Guineas market as Master drifts

BY RACINGPOST.COM STAFF
6.35PM 17 APR 2009

RIP VAN WINKLE was on Friday cut for the Stanjames.com 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket on May 2 after his stablemate Mastercraftsman proved uneasy in the betting.

The Dewhurst Stakes sixth is now as short as 5-1 for the first British Classic of the season, with dual Group 1 winner Mastercraftsman, who started the day as 4-1 market leader with some firms, out to a high of 7-1 with Ladbrokes.

The firm's spokesman David Williams said: "We have laid Rip Van Winkle all day and considering Mastercraftsman was joint-favourite at the start of play today, while Rip Van Winkle was no better than joint-third favourite, that's a big turn around.

"In truth, Ballydoyle runners hadn't been as hot as some of the other horses being backed around them and today was the day they sprung to life and contrary to expectation, it seems Rip Van Winkle could well be the biggest threat to Delegator."

Mastercraftsman hit prices in excess of 20-1 on Betfair on Friday afternoon, but by 6.30pm on Friday night he was back in to 12.5 (11.5-1) to back and 19 (18-1) to lay.

Back