2000 Guineas

I think Cityscape (amongst many) represents some value at 25/1 if the ground came up no faster than good.

No, he's not that bad but I wouldn't be as confident about a Guineas horse with him compared to some of the other top trainers.

I suspect the biggest factor is if CH won the guineas would it damage his bredding value in the long term???

Other way around, I would have thought? Question is, if he did the double, would he go on to the Leger...

I hope so Gareth - he'll be proven as the best miler and 12f horse and shouldn't have the stigma of being a "paceless Leger winner"

He does but I'd just worry that Charlton has galloped the life out of him.

From what little I've seen of him he is very patient! In fact Elite sent him Ffestiniog's colt by Selkirk, Border Patrol, last year for just that reason - much to Cole's annoyance as he'd trained all the family to date

BC is due to run at Newbury on Saturday btw

Last edited:
Excuse my naivety but is he Paul Cole-like in working of his horses?

Not even remotely - besides which, not many of Cole's 2yos make it through that first season in one piece, be that mentally or phsically or both. Wouldn't let him breathe near a horse of mine.

I remember Haaffd pissing the Craven by twice as far and being available at 7s after the race. He`s a danger, but i`m not overly concerned. 7/2 is a joke price.

Last edited:
Would anyone have any worries about Spencer in a big field on a hold up horse with the pressure on?

I still dont like him in Group 1 when on a fancied colt. He won plenty of egg and spoon races in Ireland when giving some of the Ballydoyle horses panic stricken looking rides...

He's won plenty of high profile big field handicaps, (bigger fields then you'd get in a pattern race) but it's not quite the same admittedly. Mind you if you get too big a field there's a chance it'll split anyway, which effectively reduces it to nomral size for all intents and purposes

Would anyone have any worries about Spencer in a big field on a hold up horse with the pressure on?

A better question would be does anyone not have any worries! It will be fascinating, I watched the ride on Hawk Wing a couple of days ago when it was mentioned on a thread. It's about time Spencer stepped up to the plate when it really matters.

Mind you if you get too big a field there's a chance it'll split anyway, which effectively reduces it to nomral size for all intents and purposes

He won by 3 lengths on Hawk Wing in the 2000 Guineas (Div II) don't forget....

Would he not go into the Guineas with the single best piece of form at that trip? More a case that Meehan doesn't want to run them against each other imo.

Motivator probably had the best piece of form over a mile going into a Guineas but he would not have won it, nor would High Chapparal etc.

Delagator and Crowded House are not in the same ownership are they? I'd be surprised if the owners of Crowded House did not want to run in the Guineas if they genuinely thought he had the speed for the trip.

Back