2000 Guineas

newmarket considering watering the track? seems odd. some more rain due this week. only good side of good to firm now.

Very little rain due, grass cover good but not as much as some years, ground very much on the firm side of good currently. Newmarket tend to be overly quick to water anyway.

The Dosage is of decisive help to us this year as it separates the first two in the betting – Kingman who is extremely well suited to the distance requirement and Australia who will thrive at middle distances.

The last time I went to the guineas was when a handsome Cape Cross colt by the name of Sea the Stars came over from Ireland and announced himself a champion. I didnt back him that day (Backed Rip Van Winkle) but he was a real looker in the paddock. I thought he was a derby horse....

I have no idea what wins but I think I might head up there this year as this looks like it could be a strong guineas and worth seeing. If we get a clear winner they will be a good colt.

Last edited:
Newmarket have watered....and are being very naughty in calling it good to firm, it's good if not erring to the soft side. The track drains well so if it stays dry the ground should be perfect by Saturday.

Luca Cumani on Twitter

Interesting that @NewmarketRace is calling the ground gd to fm. Our stick goes in 6-8in in the last two furlongs

Rain expected today .

War Command surely does run as Moore booked and Fallon and Dettori on the other Hannon runners.

Back