2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no cry He looked so well yesterday and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself. To still be doing it at 15 he must've loved his racing. A huge shame.

Yes - I was working in the r/c office, which is where I'm to be confined 'for the foreseeable future' (!) and was delighted to see him whizz by. Later in the day, the course got a call from a woman to say she was so 'traumatized' by his collapse she had to leave the course! The lass who answered the phone didn't know what to say, as she's not horsey or even racing-minded, just made soothing noises and provided a telephone counselling service! I think in this case one can honestly say that this was a horse going doing what he genuinely loved.

Originally posted by krizon@Apr 27 2007, 12:54 PM
I think in this case one can honestly say that this was a horse going doing what he genuinely loved.
And I would much rather that than see a horse bored out of his mind in a field. Reminds me of lovely old Willsford of Jenny Pitmans who collapsed and died during what was to be his last race before he retired. She said afterwards that was typical of him, he wouldn't have been happy doing nothing.

That is so sad, I was really enjoying seeing him race. The connections must be devastated, he was a real character and he did love his work.

Oh, yes, that's right, Griffin - wasn't had a grand old soul, too? It seemed that he thought 'oh, stuff retirement!' and just went. Everyone at the time was saddened not to see him off, but in the end, perhaps it was the right way to exit.

Did I hear right that the Charlie Swan-trained BRAVERY had to be PTS after SU in the first at Punchestown today? The presenter was saying something about 'very sad' or something like it, but I was out of the room at the time and may not have heard it right.

A horse definitely broke down and fell but the on course commentator missed it. Whoever it was was definitely toast so if it was Bravery then that's that unfortunately

Choristar appeared to have broke a leg in the 4.35 at Leicester, was such a shame to see him hurling up and down and eventually falling on the turf...

Doubt he'll survive that, desperate loss for John Mackie.

:(

Desperate news for Mackie, connections are so much less mentally prepared for it than NH connections too. Also desperate for Charlie Swan to lose another one - in today's RP, AP described Swan as having 'ate, drank and slept' Far From Trouble, whose loss he said was the low point of his, AP's year partly fro that reason

On a happier note, Aces Four is reported to be A1, whilst Mighty Man is to stay in the equine hospital in Ireland until he is comfortable enough to be moved.

YANKEE PRINCESS, 5 y.o. mare in the first div. of the Bumper at Punchestown today. Quite a bit of trouble with horses SU in the race, sadly, she broke a leg during such an incident.

in today's RP, AP described Swan as having 'ate, drank and slept' Far From Trouble, whose loss he said was the low point of his, AP's year partly fro that reason

That's odd - someone better not tell Far From Trouble's trainer, Christy Roche

Sorry yes it was of course Roche that AP referred to... I'm not Irish as you will have gathered so I'm liable to confuse the JP trainers a little... :shy: Though I certainly shouldn't confuse CS with anyone, I even have his biography, duly inscribed by the author

In the 3.30 at Wolverhampton today we lost Graze On, a 5 year old gelding trained by Peter Grayson. Pulled up quickly on the home turn with clearly something seriously amiss. RP comments in running state him as dead.

Originally posted by krizon@Apr 26 2007, 09:36 PM
... the gallant 15 y.o. grey WOT NO CASH, collapsed and died from a heart attack following his excellent second in the Handicap Chase at 3.50, Fontwell Park, today. One can only say that he went doing a job for which he still retained enormous enthusiasm.
More on this incident reported tonight on the RP website:

http://tinyurl.com/2ojyxu

Poor GRAZE ON - said broke down 2f out. The horse had won over £50,000 and had racked up five straight wins from seven successes, plus placings, so was no muppet. For a small yard like Peter Grayson's, quite a blow, and a very likeable horse, who'd handled both turf and AW.

As for the 'outrage' over WOT NO CASH, you can get young horses dying from heart attacks as much as fully fit in-training and regularly-raced chasers dying from them, as we all know. DR LEUNT is one example off the top of my head. The fact that WNC had been off-course for a long time wouldn't necessarily contribute to his death, either. The fact is, although Ms Brake is apparently horsey, she didn't like seeing one die in front of her. On the narrow horsewalk, getting screens up is difficult, and to remove the body usually means fence posts being taken out for the knacker van to access the site. So, not particularly discreet and well-hidden for some time. No-one wants to see horses die, but I think most regular NH racegoers accept that the law of averages means they're likely at some point to see horses die in the sport they choose to support. What wouldn't distress the earnest Ms Brake - a 4 y.o. hurdling debutante breaking her back?

I watched the WNC race so I saw him jumping around looking to all as if he was having a whale of a time. The fact he came back after such a lengthy lay off suggests retirement didn't suit him. Watching him run I would never have guessed he was a 15 year old. He must've gone out like a light afterwards, he wouldn't have suffered so although it's a shame he's gone Ms Brake should perhaps turn her attentions towards animals who are alive and suffering on a daily basis. WNC doesn't need her tears.

Not sure exactly how small Grayson is these days Kri - he's got upwards of 50 horses in I believe including 28 2yos. I know he's no Stoute or Johnston but he certainly has enough horses in and looking at his website the facilities up at Formby look pretty good too :)

Interesting, Martin - I looked him up in HiT and there he wasn't! Just assumed he was fairly small as I only ever see a couple of his out and about, and they're usually the same ones! :D But, as the saying goes: 'assume' makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'!

I might have gone OT with 60 but he has plenty of them in and he's a name we'll see more of in the future. Pretty big on the AW circuit and would be rare that more than a day or so goes by over winter without him having a runner. Found it profitable backing the outsider of his if he has 2 or 3 in a race.

Heard today that Jakarmi, Bryn Palling's mile+ handicapper, injured himself on the gallops and had to be put down, seems this happened a couple of months back.

Heard that DW Thompson's bonny little horse Nebraska City had to be put down the other day. Was such a shame as he was improving and running really well in his races..

I've just listed the confirmed dead horses from Ireland and the UK, and the total is already 77. I haven't included horses who died at stud or in post-racing retirement, or even the PTPs, because these aren't listed in 'Horses in Training', and that's what I wanted to update. A surprising number of those who've died racing were heart attack/collapse cases. If anyone has any updates on a few horses named a few postings back as looking injured, it'd be nice to know if they've survived.

Primondo was pretty lame after the maiden hurdle at Wincers,don't know what the prognosis is but it didn't look great as he was being loaded into the horse ambulance.

Sad to see Barton Bank has had to be put down at the age of 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back