2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troods, the RP/Nicholls story on LADALKO was that he'd ruptured an artery 'affecting his hindquarters' in the Midland National, it resulted in a haematoma and a stay at the vet's, and was since transferred with a watching brief back to his stables. Nothing about a pelvic injury at all. You yourself said that a haematoma shouldn't stop his career, so where did this pelvic problem come in, I wonder?

No idea Jon - its just what she told me - hence its so sketchy.Unless it was weakened during the race and after the swelling adn everything went down that he damaged it further or something??

Sadly I doubt we'll find out, just desperately sad when it all seemed so bright.

I know it should not make a difference as the horse is gone for whatever the reason, but it just seems an even more cruel twist of fate that he has lost his battle after seemingly being on the road to recovery :(

Here's why we have such poor information on Irish horses: just turned on the tv to see a NH Flat race at Tramore, I think, at 5.15 and a horse being PU rapidly. A shot later, the jockey is off, and another horse is doing the splits and his jockey's off, as the first horse comes into shot, his off-hind swinging wildly from the stifle, which has gone. Not the decency of any Comments in Running or even an Analysis from the RP, which has noted mere RO, SU and two PUs in the race.

It was a nice-looking dark bay horse with white socks, and the really horrendous part is that he continued to run and buck wildly, presumably thinking that his swinging leg was some sort of attacker at the rear. Give Matt Chapman on ATR his due, he was quick to condole the connections but of WHO? And were the jockeys okay is another consideration?

Ah, poor wee mite, Gareth. But really, you'd think that ALL Irish racing warranted proper respect, wouldn't you? It's a damn poor job by the RP 99% of the time on the everyday races.

The RP take their Irish info from www.irish-racing.com, and they're at the mercy of the race-reader at the track for the Comments in Running. It's hopefully just a matter of time before they get added on to the results sheet.

Thanks, Gareth - that explains it, then. It's seriously disappointing not to have the analyses to hand, especially when you've lost track of a horse you're interested in because the camera has gone to the first three. It seems that once the first three are in the bag, that's it, and unless yours is an exceptionally well-mullered favourite, you don't get to hear what happened - even if it fell over or self-combusted, you'd be unlikely to have the race caller mention it unless it was leading at the time!

Aldaniti, that's a shame about HUNTING LION. I was flicking through Stallions 2007 and there he was, gleaming gloriously, and as near as dammit black and dramatic. A good-looking horse and a loss to his stud.

It was a real horror show that race in Ireland - intensely annoying we had no idea what was going on. Most of the carnage was visible in the background and the racereader just carried on droning as if nothing was happening. Quite surreal. Matt Chapman sounded as dumbfounded as I felt.

Dims, what's the story on the Hobbs horse? They do seem to have had a bad season for losing horses

Agree totally, Heads - the race caller didn't even bloody notice! When, oh WHEN, are they going to stop just rostering through the damn fields and actually call the RUNNING???? :angy:

RP race report names the horses - feel sorry too for the winning connections to have what should have been such a great moment marred by these deaths:

<< There was a real family success to the bumper which was won byHarcus Six Zero who is owned by Ann Roche, trained by her son Paul Roche and was partnered by the owner's other son David. Unfortunately there were two casualties in the race, with both CHARLIE KNOX and DARRENS WENDY breaking legs. >>

It was his first race, and her 2nd. Both were 6 year olds. She was by Un Desperado, I hadn't heard of his sire

Thanks for the update, Headstrong - the second horse sprawled with all four legs going east and west, so presumably that was one of the casualties. Desperate business, although I did read some time back that Bumpers have unusually high fatality rates, which is not something I'd ever noted. Keep The Chair and Ban the Bumper? :suspect:

That's an interesting stat. I'd noticed several deaths in bumpers over the last two years, which one would not expect - after all these are big solid horses usually, and most are four or older

It was notable to me in this case though, that neither of these horses had run until the six year old season, which seems to indicate prior problems in training. Great shame anyway.

Yes, very possibly so. I think the problems with many of the Bumper fatals were SU on muddy bends and some BD when clipping heels - there's still this tendency to treat the races as if they're regular Flat shows and crowd each other. Given that, as you've said, Heads, they're big strong horses, they're also sometimes a little less nimble at swerving trouble at the front. Speed, speed, speed has so often been the causative factor.

Tramore is a graveyard track - a lot of trainers steer clear of there with their better horses

Didn't know that, Bobbyjo. Is there any particular reason - extreme undulations offbalancing horses, for example? The two that went so horribly wrong yesterday both went in the same stretch of ground, it seemed, before entering the final turn into the straight.

................I think it's downhill there, Kriz, which wouldn't help.

Didn't I read something, somewhere, some time ago, that bumper horses appearing on the course fairly late in their life are susceptible to leg injuries...........something about their legs not being hardened???

Loss of memory, or senility, :shy: or both!!!

I hate to say that that does ring a faintly tinkling, distant bell... uh-oh, Sunny Pines Home for the Terminally Befuddled beckons! But that doesn't sound unreasonable, of course.

Report an injury to Jazz Messenger....suffered a serious pelvic injury and they were monitoring him closely last I heard.

Originally posted by Aldaniti@Apr 14 2007, 08:31 PM
Hunting Lion, a former Channon inmate has died of colic
Gutted, he was a lovely horse was hunting lion, Was making an okay start to being a stallion. Pulled like a git he did, but gem of a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back