2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my mates lost their horse at Bath last night,

He stumbled on the bend and shattered his hock and had to be put down.

Private Peachy on Rod Millmans.

To say they were gutted was an understatement.

Courtesy of The Racing Post

Most distressing sight of the day

Palais Tiff, trained by Christian Von Der Recke, collapsed and died in front of the stands after winning the second division of the novices' hurdle.

:(

That was at Sedgefield, btw. I didn't see the race, which took place on firm.
Just to win a little over 2 grand - you do wonder sometimes...

NAYYIR.. A winner of 9 Races has retired..

Butler says "Unfortunately, we have retired Nayyir and it is the end of a great career," said Butler.
"I would never have forgiven myself if something had gone wrong in a race or in training - at least he retires sound

That's good news, I think it was time for Nayyir to give up.

Marron Flore from Al's yard has been retired - bought by friends in the village as a riding horse

Mongermont, out for the next year with a leg, details on RP website today.

Originally posted by Headstrong@Aug 11 2007, 04:53 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what you are alluding to there, HS, to be honest.

Prize money levels aren't good, no, but someone has to win the race and pocket the money, ergo horses will be entered and will be run, "just for a little over 2 grand". Plenty of owners don't do it for the prize money (they'd be stupid to the point of lunacy if they did, looking at the prize money levels in this country) they want an opportunity to run in, and win, a race. I'm sure connections of the animal didn't think that their horse would keel over and die after the race, to be honest with you!

As a mate says, someone always has to be best, someone always has to be worst - similar to levels of prize money in races - a race has to be the most valuable and another has to be the least valuable.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+Aug 14 2007, 03:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ Aug 14 2007, 03:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@Aug 11 2007, 04:53 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what you are alluding to there, HS, to be honest.
[/b][/quote]
Given the cost of a horse, training fees, and the attrition rate in terms of injury/vets' bills, I was just musing on the fact people are prepared to go through all that, and to risk a horse's life - we all know it's a risk for jumpers every time they go out - for such paltry sums. It somehow doesn't seem, well, proportionate.

[And yes I'm well aware they keel over on the gallops too]

Given the cost of a horse, training fees, and the attrition rate in terms of injury/vets' bills, I was just musing on the fact people are prepared to go through all that, and to risk a horse's life - we all know it's a risk for jumpers every time they go out - for such paltry sums. It somehow doesn't seem, well, proportionate.

its not, but Thats the "joys" of jumping ownership though isnt it HS - you definatley dont go into that for the prizemoney - its love of the sport pure and simple!!!!
If people wanted a pony to cosset they wouldnt buy a racehorse - at least not one to run over obstacles....

A piece of memory lane for you.... my first ever visit to Newmarket was the day that Sayyedati thumped the odds-on Lyric Fantasy in the Cheveley Park Stakes, making all to beat the Nunthorpe winning 'Pocket Rocket'.

Next spring, after a defeat in the Nell Gwyn and further drifting on the day of The Guineas (then run on the Thursday) Sayyedati took the fillies classic at the incredible odds of 4/1 which gave me enough funds to travel to Newmarket for The 2000 on Saturday in the year of Zafonics drubbing of Barathea.

There will be no charge for this service.

Neither was I Rory. I missed a connection on the return journey and ended up not getting to Doncaster until 1am with a 7 mile walk ahead of me. I was further delayed in my march when, around a mile from home, the patrolling Police officers that drove by felt I looked a little suspicious with my rucksack.

Didnt even give me a lift. Fucking pigs!

A very sad sight as on the next circuit you could see Dickie Johnson trying to hold the horse down as he desperately tried to get up (why they didn't have the screens round him I don't know).

Why does it take so long to despatch a striken animal? Do the vets not follow the field around? Who is responsible for making the final decision? Just wondering out loud really as I've no idea about these things.

There was a screen up near Vaughan but it was between him and the passing field of horses, not all the way around. It was horrible having to see him struggling, hence my questions above.

Not allowed screens out if race still comencing or if they will obstruct the race, its all down to safety.

Agree its a bad decission but rules are rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back